1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Game "lags" in single player?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by RodgerDodger, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RodgerDodger

RodgerDodger Phantasmal Quasar

2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

The one right above that one. You can try disabling BITS too, but in my experience that tends to cause network lag rather than heavily loading the hard drive. BITS is what Windows uses to download updates in an attempt to be "smart" and throttle download speed depending on network usage by the user.

3. RodgerDodger

This sounds like a solution for Windows 8. Would it also work for Windows 7? Also I can't find BITS in the resource monitor.

4. Dunto

Dunto Guest

These particular services are also on WIndows 7. I believe BITS shows up as one of the svchosts.exe services, but you should just stop the service (if it's running) through Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services rather than killing it in Task Manager (same with the other services).

Also, what antivirus do you have (if any)? Have you tried temporarily disabling that as well?

5. RodgerDodger

I have Panda Cloud Antivirus. I don't think that it could really be messing with the game, as I would think that it would do the same with the rest of my other games. But anyways, I'll go ahead and look for BITS and shut it down. Here's to hopes that it doesn't screw up my computer.

Edit: I coldn't find any svchosts.exe service, but there's a BitLocker Drive Encryption Service and a BitRaider Mini-Support Service that are listed in the names of services in Services panel. I haven't done anything with them yet. and I don't know what you mean by "other services".

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  6. Dunto

Dunto Guest

The precise service names are:
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    SuperFetch
    Windows Search

Just stop these services; as long as you don't change their startup settings everything will go back to the way it was before when you reboot.

7. RodgerDodger

Alright, I've stopped the three services. I'm gonna try out Starbound in a few minutes to see if there's any difference. Thanks for sticking with me too, I know that I tend to ask a whole lot of questions.

8. RodgerDodger

Well for the most part it seems that stopping the three services has terminated most of the "lagging" in the game so far. I'll let you know if I still have more lag as I continue playing.

Dunto likes this.
  9. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Good to hear, let me know what you find out. If that seems to pretty much take care of the issue then we can start narrowing it down to find the troublesome "feature" of Windows. (I got 50 pixels on Windows Search, any takers?)

10. RodgerDodger

I hope I wasn't the only one experiencing the bug.

Edit: I still seem to be experiencing that weird "lagging". You know, this lag never happened in the Koala updates before Enraged Koala, so I'm just going to assume that it's something in the game and that other players are just not noticing it. Anyways, thanks for your help, Dunto. ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  11. djvelho

djvelho Void-Bound Voyager

im also having these lag/freezes
    here´s log:

12. RodgerDodger

Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one! That raises my hopes that it might just be the fact that the game is still in beta.

13. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Nightly Support forum is thataway -> http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?forums/nightly-builds-support.157/
    The underlying cause may be the same in both Nightly and Stable, but I don't think we can know for sure right now. If you haven't yet, you can try the Nightly builds and see if anything changes (for better or worse).

In all honesty, the game is still in Beta (like you said) so it's entirely possible that you won't see improvement until the game gets closer to completion and focus is put on optimization.

14. RodgerDodger

I would try nightly if it was compatible with mods that changed the look of a few of the armors. Because I decided to alter a few of them for one reason or another.

15. djvelho

djvelho Void-Bound Voyager

well something wierd just happend. i reinstall game in different driver.(usually my games are at p:\ ) now that i install game different place,my stutterings and freezes are gone. only got couple hitches in two hours game play.
    also i played with opengl.

:)

16. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Glad to hear you got it working.

There have been some engine improvements in the Nightly build. Since you don't really want to try Nightly right now, there's nothing else I can think of that may help.

Going to go ahead and close this as the fixes currently in Nightly should help; whenever the patch hits, give it a shot and see if your issue has cleared up. If not, go ahead and make a new thread at that point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.