1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Game is broken. Please help if possible. RESOLVED

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Xavier Darkheart, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xavier Darkheart

Xavier Darkheart Pangalactic Porcupine

I do. Was there some update recently? Because I have had to change a lot of mods to work out these issues. While it is annoying, I suppose it is to be expected. I will look and see if I can find this error now. I'm not entirely sure what to look up...and am a bit afraid to delete that mod, as I don't remember what planet I was orbiting.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. martyr2012

martyr2012 Subatomic Cosmonaut

My suggestion, copy the universe folder outside of the starbound folder. Once that is done, delete the universe folder from the starbound folder, then try and launch the game. If that works, you have found your problem in the universe folder.

If the universe folder is the root of the problem, you COULD (this will take time) move files back into the starbound folder and continue to relaunch to determine what specific world files are causing the problem as I believe every world you visit generates a .WORLD file if you make any changes to that world.

I suppose it could also be universe.chunks in the universe folder, in which case, I don't know how to help.

P.S. I believe there was an update on April 25, not sure if that is what caused the issue as I don't know the last time you played the game. However, it cannot be determined to be a game bug if mods are installed and running.

3. Xavier Darkheart

Tried it, and it didn't work. Alright then. Is there any way to back up my save files, so I can just scrub this all with a reinstall? I just want to play my game, but I don't want to lose everything I worked so hard for....

4. martyr2012

I did a clean install after the recent update.

If you have mods, I would get rid of them all, to ensure an entirely clean install.

If you want to keep only your player, copy the player folder from the steam folder to a safe (i.e. outside the Starbound folder) location.

If you also want to keep your worlds, although with your error I'm not quite sure I would recommend it, copy the universe to a location outside of the Starbound folder as well.

Then in steam, right click Starbound and from the menu that comes up click "Delete Local Content...".

Once you have done all that, re-install Starbound.

My suggestion is that you try to load the game without any mods re-installed, and leave your universe and player folders out. If it boots fine, exit out and copy over the player folder and try again.

If that works as well, copy over the universe folder and giver 'er another go.

If all is well, then you are good to go, and have your player and universe back to the way they were.

Again, if it fails after copying a certain folder, you have found the source of the problem.

Personally I don't use mods, but at this point if everything is working fine you are good to re-install your mods.

5. Xavier Darkheart

I just want my character and ship. I live on it anyways. I'll let you know how it turns out once I do this.

6. martyr2012

I believe the ship is contained in the player folder.

7. Xavier Darkheart

The reinstall worked fine, but now I can't figure out what mod is broken. If it is planetary then Variety is the Spice of the Universe is doing it, and I have no clue the file names that need removed now...is anyone familiar with them? I only need a few more bits of help to finish fixing this...

martyr2012 likes this.
  8. martyr2012

As I don't use mods, I am unable to help much more.

The only thing I can suggest is to go to the mod page

http://community.playstarbound.com/...f-the-universe-a-universe-biome-overhaul.199/

and check under "Important Information". It has a list of mods and their compatibility with other mods. Make sure that the mods you are using are all compatible with each other.

That particular mod has a color coded compatibility list.

Make sure the mods you use don't fall in the following compatibility categories for the "variety" mod:
    Orange: Unstable and crashes often when used together.
    Red: Not compatible, crash at startup, do not use together

Also, it appears the mod hasn't been updated since early March which, although somewhat unlikely, may be the root of your problems.

That's all the more help I can be, sorry.

9. Xavier Darkheart

Literally no mods I have are even on that list. Unfortunately the modder has it on a site I can't use anymore as well, so I have no idea the files that need to go. I love when this kind of rubbish ruins things I paid for...any other tips?

10. martyr2012

Did you try using the Dropbox Mirror posted on the mod page right above the Q & A section in the "Download Mirror" box?

Also, I'm not sure what files you are trying to get rid of?

11. Xavier Darkheart

The ones revolving around that mod in case it is the issue.

12. martyr2012

Ah, I'm afraid that the only "tip" I can give you on that is to try the Dropbox Mirror provided on the page. I gave it a go, there was no apparent redirection to external sites, so maybe you can get the archive that way?

13. Xavier Darkheart

I got it. thank you for the mirror info, I missed it earlier. Been doing everything I can to fix this, so I'm a big tired atm.

14. martyr2012

Glad to help. A bit tired myself, as you can see by not understanding the files you were trying to rid yourself of.

Also, I've read elsewhere to make sure your universe folder is cleared of everything except a certain couple files. playerCodex and playerQuests, I believe.

Edit: Probably the questPlanetSeeds file as well.

15. Xavier Darkheart

It isn't Variety. I don't know what is causing that last error I posted. If anyone knows what it is I really would love to play my game finally.....really sick of this guessing game nonsense.

16. Wurmheart

Wurmheart Subatomic Cosmonaut

Don't quite remember where variantmap was used, but it sounds planetary/biome or interface related.
    Improper conversion from null is just that, one of the values is replaced by a "0" where it shouldn't be. I don't think it's directly from a mod, as that would make the mod not work for anyone at all.
    It's more likely a bug akin to the custom tech bug, where it overrides your char/world/ship date with a invalid value due to a mod or from mods canceling each other out.

What mods are you using?

And try pulling your character save through a save editor, and see if it contains unused items/techs and delete those just in case. http://c4isbad.com/starreader/ should work well.

17. Xavier Darkheart

I'm using a lot of mods...but they were all working fine until one day the game refused to launch. I will take a look at the editor, but I don't even get that far. The game itself never launches. Update:just checked it with the editor. My character itself seems clean. If you think it is one of my mods I could dropbox my modpack to you if you think you could figure out the issue.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  18. Wurmheart

Best to just list the mods, i can dig through and see which affect the same files and could cause issues. And yeah that's how it goes with bugs currently, it prevents the game from starting up.

You still get the error with no mods used what so ever right?

19. Xavier Darkheart

I do not get it modless. Any way I can send you a copy of my modpack to look through?

20. Wurmheart

just a screenshot of your folder should do the trick as well.

And that's good, that means it's solely due to a mod not working or mods not working together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.