1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Game freeze in Prairie King when trying to spawn Gopher

Discussion in 'Support' started by Faark, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Faark

Faark Aquatic Astronaut

Hi,

i was playing Stardew Valley, more precisely Journey of the Prairie King, when the game suddenly stopped responding. Post analysis tl/dr: There is a possible infinite loop in that minigame when spawning gophers.

From what I cam to understand, there are multiple conditions for AbigailGame to be able to spawn a Gopher. The "don't spawn close to the player" and "don't touch impassable tiles" are relevant for this case... both together are enough to make spawning Gophers impossible for players standing close to the center of the map (x:359, y:345). At least on map 3 (haven't looked at others). The game attempts to spawn at a randomly chosen location in a loop until it finds a valid one. Since in our case there are none, this loop never ends and game stops responding.

An easy fix would be to limit spawn attempts to something big, like maybe a 1000 tries only. A more reasonable definition for "close to player" might be fine as well, but would leave that code open for the same class of hangs by different scenarios.

Anyway, thanks for the game and all the work you put into making it great.

____

Game version is 1.3.36
    via steam
    not modded in any way
    on Win10 64bit
    no save file provided (unnecessary)

• Faark

Faark Aquatic Astronaut

Still haven't got Fector's Challenge, but the game again froze while trying to beat Journey of the Prairie King today. Again while pretty close to the center of the map. And again I booted up JetBrains Rider, attached it to the game, paused the program, updated playerPosition to something closer to a corner of the map, resumed the program and carried on. Died two levels later, thus sadly still have the opportunity to enjoy this bug getting fixed :/