1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Game .exe files no longer work.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Cyriel, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyriel

Cyriel Pangalactic Porcupine

As title says. None of the game's .exe files launch starbound anymore, which is weird since there was no update since i last checked. The game worked fine for me yesterday (?) and right now steam is no longer presenting the option to choose between normal or safemode launch as well as the right click option to "launch opengl" having disappeared completely.

I'm clueless on what exactly might have caused this, but i figure it's worth a report anyways. Verified my steam cache etc etc, driver check and all that as well without results.

Kind of clueless what happened but something happened and nothing on my end with the sole exception of having the endgame matter manipulator mod installed pre-patch, but that worked fine then, and afterwards it worked fine as well, just showed missing items.

So yeah...

2. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

I've never seen "safe mode" in Steam. It should run the Launcher, which has two buttons - one for a regular launch, one for OpenGL.

3. Cyriel

Never worked for me like that. I'm an XP user and the launcher hasn't worked since the first update. Neither has the normal .exe but this is troubling on it's own because the opengl.exe always worked fine for me once the XP fix was released.

- Disabling the mods doesn't do anything different
    - Checking the config files leads me to believe nothing changed or is going to help once i change anything.
    - Restarting pc, steam verification, re-download, etc all yield nothing new.
    - There's no logfile generation anymore.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  4. RvLesh

Ah, the game (currently, as of the last update) only runs when launched from launcher.exe - I've tried to work around this, but it looks like it will have to be a future update.

Sorry! :(

5. Cyriel

Yeah that's the thing. The game worked fine since the last update, which was a few days back, and the opengl.exe worked fine then too. It just stopped working literally today, where it worked fine a day or 2 ago. Unless i missed an update, i don't know what went wrong.

6. SqualidMisnomer

SqualidMisnomer Pangalactic Porcupine

Launch in safemode was essential the same thing as OpenGL, as there it was always in little brackets when launching is safe mode.
    For me, I just run it in steam and then laugn through the OpenGL option on the launcher and it works like a charm. Normal mode (before or after what you've described) never worked for me, either.

Or until the whole game is optimized to a further extent :) Which will most likely be soon.

My guess is that it was an update.

7. Cyriel

Are you having similar problems with the main exe or is it just me again ?

8. SqualidMisnomer

SqualidMisnomer Pangalactic Porcupine

I was having similar problems. But my computer is so untrustworthy it keeps changing it mind on what it wants to run or not :/
    So it's been working recently.

9. Cyriel

So today it started working for me again... That is, the launcher works for me again, which it hasn't done since the first update. Was there a patch today or yesterday ?
    Opengl version works fine again as well... This is getting pretty random.

10. RvLesh

If this is random, it likely has nothing to do with Starbound.

Try running SBDiagnose.exe, in the Starbound dir.

If it doesn't find anything, keep an eye on the other software running when you can't launch it vs. when you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.