1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game Crash | Error Loading a Game Asset

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by agmoyer, Aug 10, 2016.

1. agmoyer

agmoyer Cosmic Narwhal

So I started Starbound today because I was working on a mod but then it crashed, nothing new for me just have to restart it. It crashed again. Okay check the starbound log? There are only 4 [Error]s in it.

1. [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /items/armors/protectorate/protectorateshirt/protectorateshirt.chest, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /items/armors/protectorate/protectorateshirt/protectorateshirt.chest

2. Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: expected JSON object or array at top level at 1:1

3. [Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down: (ItemException) Could not load item asset /items/armors/protectorate/protectorateshirt/protectorateshirt.chest

4. Caused by: (AssetException) Error loading asset /items/armors/protectorate/protectorateshirt/protectorateshirt.chest

I figured it was a mod, unsubscribed all my mods and took out my own created mods from the mods folder and crashed again. Each crash with the exact same errors. Log is attached at the bottom to see for yourself.

Since it doesn't seem to be the mods what is going on? I tried varifying game integrity and that didn't help. I'll reinstall the game if no one can think of something else.

Attached Files:

2. Cupa

Cupa Pangalactic Porcupine

Please upload the asset /items/armors/protectorate/protectorateshirt/protectorateshirt.chest to see if it is somehow different.

3. agmoyer

agmoyer Cosmic Narwhal

How would I go about doing this? If this was a mod issue I would have fixed it instead of posting it here. I am asking how did the game suddenly come up with error without mods being installed? Even after I reinstalled the game the issue still remained.

Only idea I have is unpack the game's assets then edit the file it says has an error in an attempt to fix it then somehow repack it so the game can use it. But that is just a theory that can turn into a waste of time. I am going to try one more idea for now.

4. Cupa

The game somehow seems to keep assets for example from deinstalled workshop-items, it could have something to do with your issue too.

5. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It looks like it failed to convert the json script into an object, I'm not entirely sure how or why but maybe the asset got corrupted in some way? It would actually be good if you could upload the protectorateshirt.chest file so we can compare it.

6. Cupa

@Geth270 exactly. Maybe a mod changed it and somehow failed.

7. agmoyer

agmoyer Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks for the help everyone, finally got it fixed. After the first reinstall some folders where not removed as they should've been. I manually got rid of the remaining files before installing it again and now it works. I still wonder though what could have created the error?

8. Cupa

There are many reasons for corruption, too many to list them here properly.

BTT: Great that it works now!
    Have fun playing! :)

agmoyer likes this.
  9. Sam11

Sam11 Space Hobo

Sorry to hijack, but this thread is pretty fresh still :wut:
    I am having a similar issue:
    "Exception caught in client main-loop (AssetException) Error loading asset/interface/chests/chest128.config

This only occurs while playing multiplayer with a friend. Single player has no issues. While playing multiplayer, if I open my ship chest, or teleport to any planet inside my friend's universe, the game crashes and gives that error message.

I did all the usual stuff, deleted mods, verified integrity, restarted, deleted and reinstalled, but nothing. Any ideas?

10. Geth270

Can we have an error log from the crash, you can find the logs in your starbound directory under storage.

Edit - Did your friend ever run any mods? technically if you had different game assets the game shouldn't let you connect but I just checked starbound assets and there is no such thing as "chest128.config" so the reason you can't load the asset is because it does not exist in vanilla game.

Possibly This mod or any other mod that adds bigger containers?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  11. Sam11

Sam11 Space Hobo

[Error] OpenGL errors this frame: GL_INVALID_VALUE [15:37:19.987]

Error] Exception caught in client main-loop (AssetException) Error loading asset /interface/chests/chest256.config [0]

There were two others, but they were for a steam achievement.

We had mods before the crash happened, then we both added more, but some were different. That's when it happened. Since then we both deleted all our mods and tried it again, but the same error occurs.

As far as mods for bigger containers, I thought the same thing, but the only mod I added for containers was just a menu adjustment.

12. Cupa

The OpenGL-error is normal.

EDIT: Nevermind, just submit the logs for now. Would be way more helpful than re-downloading stuff.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  13. Geth270

Well, the mods (or anything left of them) can be on either side yours or his.The 2nd error you posted is pointing more towards This mod since it's looking for a 256 sized container config. I would still like to see your actual log, I can't assess the situation based on two errors, I would still like to see the assets that are being loaded/their directories. In fact it would be ideal if you could provide a log from your friend as well since he's hosting the game for the two of you, so the problem can be on his side.

I assume you are using steam multiplayer and not a standalone server.

14. Sam11

Sam11 Space Hobo

I forgot to mention, I'm not very computer savvy. Is the log in this file?
    starbound log.png
    The only "log" I found was a long word pad log. Wasn't sure if you meant for me to copy and paste the entire thing..

You assume correct, steam multiplayer.

15. Geth270

You should be able to attach files to these posts, there is an upload button in the bottom right, right next to "post reply". The log I'm looking for is the starbound document you have highlighted (you have file extensions off, hence it's only showing the unrecognized ones), you can also attch the log.1 - log.5 I can have a quick glance through them as well in case I don't find anything in the first one.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  16. AngryMiner5704

AngryMiner5704 Void-Bound Voyager

Where were said folders, and what were they? I'm having a similar issue, and I'm just trying to get answers anywhere I can.
    Log file for those interested:

Attached Files: