Full RGB scale for character creation?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Britefire, Jan 4, 2013.

1. I don't think it's possible to have an infinite number of colors available, considering our computer monitors can only handle 16,777,216. I might be wrong.

I don't think ancient wheat was nicknamed "colour" either. o3o
    And I do believe you are lacking a verb in that would-be sentence. o3o
    Actually, nah. I think the would-be sentence is a bit messed up.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  2. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

There's no real reason why it COULDN'T work. I mean, it's not like it would require a complete rewrite of the game or anything, but it would be more complex and take time to code in.

EDIT: Talking about the RGB slider. Not the correct way to spell the world. Incidentally, you're all wrong. It's spelled "culler."

3. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

I get the feeling it'll come eventually.
    whether or not "eventually" refers to just before release, or in a post-release patch is up to the devs.
    either way, in a game with as much spontaneous combustion as Starbound, it makes no sense to rule out an RGB color-customizer for at the very least starting gear.

britefire and WoxandWarf like this.
  4. punkypie

punkypie Cosmic Narwhal

Predefined colors really sucks, i hope the devs put a RGB slider in the game, also at least have the opportunity to change two colors for each cloth/hair part would be really great, even more if you can change the color of the armors and weapons!

5. Spirittis

Spirittis Phantasmal Quasar

To be honest, I'd prefer HSB sliders over RGB and both of these over color palette.

This could be easily realised by doing it same way it was done for example in Terraria. Number in the middle shows you the current value and you can control it using two arrows on the side. The problem with textures could be probably solved by making certain areas darker by lowering the value of brightness (this is where HSB system comes in handy). In that case, player won't be able to lower brightness below the value, which will equal the difference between darker areas and areas with manually set color. This will prevent player from creating entirely black character by making those darker areas completely dark, but the rest will be a bit brighter.

And i can't help but poke a little bit ;) ...

These are the differences between American and British English... both "color" and "colour" are corret and possible. Same way with "spelt" and "spelled" :D .

6. TheTacoPanda

TheTacoPanda Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would love to have full rgb color selection. The only problem is, I would spend hours making a character if it is that customizable.

7. I tried to middle click this, hoping it was more announced game information that I'd missed :facepalm:

The thing is, that still requires changes to the GUI.
    It looked fine in Terraria, because that had words (like "Style 1" or whatever) between the buttons for all the items. Starbound doesn't, and to do so would require making as many changes as adding a slider would.

I'm sure there must be a way to incorporate an RGB (or HSL/HSB/HSV/IDK) "slider" without altering the GUI very much...
    A pop out "colour square" is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment, but I'm sure someone knows of a better way.
    There's also probably a proper name for that, I just don't know what it is...

And alas, it seems my subtle attempt at humour went unnoticed...
    The little ":p" was symbolising the fact that I was making a joke...

8. As does "o3o."

9. The Enlightened Grue

- I get tired of typing "random/proceedural generation" all the time, so I find new ways to do it.
    - You're forgetting that what we've been shown is a prototype character creator, much like the "shitty temporary inventory/crafting" from earlier in development. Whether or not changes will happen to it isn't a question. It's merely a matter of "What Changes".
    And Yeah, a Color Square or Color Circle would be among the easiest ways to represent it for User Interaction.
    To quote Paint.net...
    [​IMG]
    Which honestly solves almost all the colour customization you could ever want to do.

-And to conclude, yes we all knew you were making a joke, but its the one thing nobody can resist commenting on :p

what about ":3" ?

Spirittis likes this.
  10. IAmTheMilkMan

IAmTheMilkMan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Would be a FANTASTIC implement. Bravo, bravo.

11. This is true, however, it's very unusual for any final version (of anything, not just in game development) to have a completely redesigned item or feature to what's been in prototype versions.
    It's far easier to build on what you already have, rather than do something, say "I don't like this" and start again.
    Hence why I feel a lot of the changes that have been suggested would not fit the general style of the GUI in it's current state and would require "starting again" in order to avoid there being one (or more) buttons that is different from the majority.
    Yes, I know it may change drastically from what we have now, and I hope an RGB (HSL/HSV/HSB/IDK/whatever) selection will be incorporated, but chances are, the overall visual style will remain similar, if not identical, to what we already have.

12. IAmTheMilkMan

IAmTheMilkMan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh god, the Inventory/crafting picture.. How could we ever use that? the slots were so tiny, you couldn't even see what item was there? I HOPE they change that. T_T

EDIT:Wait, replied to the wrong person. Sorry Narwhal. Enlightened. this is to you. LOLFAIL

13. The Enlightened Grue

still, we can assume that at the very least that a superior character creator will be given to the game post-release if the one that comes with release fails to meet the consumers standards. Face it, with all the work they've put into Starbound insofar, they wouldn't knowingly leave sub-par elements for long.

You know that you can edit your quote, right? just quote my post into a new field, and copy-paste-edit it into your old post. its rather simple :p

SpaceNarwhal likes this.
  14. I'm still up for a "separate window" for the color sliders.

Silverduke1 likes this.
  15. The Enlightened Grue

a little pop up slider would be neat, yeah.

16. Spirittis

Spirittis Phantasmal Quasar

Some sort of pop up would be cool AND it won't interfere with current GUI nearly at all.

And if it depended on me, I would definitely implement option to set the value manually ;) , cause, well... I consider it really useful and handy ... something like little frame with value on the side (left or right... it doeasn't really matter) you could select and rewrite. The slider would adjust afterwards depending on the value entered.
    Yes, I'm that kind of freaky perfectionist who wants to have all values round ;) :p

Exactly ;) ... ecpecially me :p

17. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

This would allow us to have white florans right?

18. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

No offense to anyone, but now you just made me imagine racial issues among the florans. ^_^;; Gives a whole new meaning to "flower power."

WoxandWarf likes this.
  19. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

lol
    they probably have those issues already they are a tribal race

20. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

Wow I'm kind of surprised there was much discussion after everyone agreed that we need it.

WoxandWarf likes this.