1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Friendly Ship Shopkeepers Crash my game

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by djax_sths, Jun 18, 2017.

1. djax_sths

djax_sths Space Hobo

Everytime I go onto a friendly ship to buy from the shopkeeper with the little mechanical backpack my game freezes and crashes. is there any way for me to trade with him/her without my game crashing.

2. Jerry Noeda'an

Jerry Noeda'an Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Me and my bf am getting this too. Did you ever find out a way to overcome this? If you're using any mods, what kind of mods?
    I have the error report somewhere and normally I am able to pinpoint what's wrong but it's just saying that the conversation (The words they say or the menu that comes up) aren't 'legal' or something by the game's standards. And as far as I can tell, this bug only affects the friendly ships containing multiple races wearing space suits and backpacks (The ones you can find in the hidden chests in the Erchius Mining Outpost).

3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please provide your starbound.log located in the storage folder of your starbound install.

~ Iris ~

4. Jerry Noeda'an

Here's a Pastebin of it.
    https://pastebin.com/xrQJ1N42

What catches my eye though is:

(JsonException) Improper conversion to JsonArray from object
    [0] 7ff7c5c77153 Star::captureStack
    [1] 7ff7c5c75ede Star::StarException::StarException
    [2] 7ff7c5c0dc4a Star::JsonException::format<Star::String>
    [3] 7ff7c5c1c602 Star::Json::toArray
    [4] 7ff7c5c16027 Star::Json::getArray
    [5] 7ff7c64c7d4a Star::MerchantPane::buildItemList
    [6] 7ff7c64c6e8e Star::MerchantPane::MerchantPane
    [7] 7ff7c64abb68 std::make_shared<Star::MerchantPane,std::shared_ptr<Star::WorldClient>,std::shared_ptr<Star::player>,Star::Json const & __ptr64,int & __ptr64>
    [8] 7ff7c64b6b2a Star::MainInterface::eek:penMerchantWindow
    [9] 7ff7c64b502f Star::MainInterface::handleInteractAction
    [10] 7ff7c5bbe6f8 Star::ClientApplication::updateRunning
    [11] 7ff7c5bbce4f Star::ClientApplication::update
    [12] 7ff7c63baa72 Star::SdlPlatform::run
    [13] 7ff7c63bac2d Star::runMainApplication
    [14] 7ff7c5bbff76 WinMain
    [15] 7ff7c65a8daf __scrt_common_main_seh
    [16] 7ffbadaf2774 BaseThreadInitThunk
    [17] 7ffbafe10d51 RtlUserThreadStart

Or more specifically, the part about the shopkeep's window. I went and tested this without any mods and found the same problem with the NPC's. It only affects the merchant onboard a friendly ship where the NPC's all wear spacesuits and backpacks (The one from the erchius mission). Both me and my bf encounter this issue on our LAN server, and in singleplayer. Server doesn't crash when this happens, just the client, and it's not a total crash either. Just a kick to the main menu. So there's nothing wrong with the NPC in particular, just the interface that comes up, or something in it.

5. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

It is most likely related to one of your mods. Unfortunately there is no direct file given where it happens though.

1) Make a backup of your storage folder (extreme important!!!)
    2) Disable all mods and best is to start a new character (and even better a new universe; use admin commands to get stuff for testing)
    3) Enable one mod after another and see if the error persists (you may encounter some other errors due to missing mod content)
    4) When you found the faulty mod report it to the respective mod author so he/she can fix it
    5) Restore your previously made backup so no progress or anything else is lost

~ Iris ~

6. Jerry Noeda'an

Maybe I should have emboldened it, but I DID test it without mods right afterwards, by making a backup of the character and sending him to a vanilla singleplayer to go to this guy; he still crashes my game with the same error. I originally did this because I thought it might be the mod I have that makes NPC merchants reset their inventory an x amount of days, however the only NPC that seems to crash clients is the one mentioned and even in vanilla the problem occurs. I don't know why this isn't all over the place, but if this still happens to me in vanilla, then I'm inclined to believe it's a product of vanilla.

I will try reproduce this in a fresh vanilla run, I have to start a new character and find that ship again elsewhere, but the ship only seems to be one of the rare ships that I don't see often (I've seen maybe 3 types of friendly ships and mostly hostile ones, and the other two friendly ships that I see are way more common than this one.

Speaking of friendly ship bugs, one of the other friendly ships doesn't have atmosphere inside of the ship itself. I could be landed and have normal gravity and where the NPC's walk about but there's no oxygen to breath. I don't remember which one, but it wasn't the same one as the bugged merchant.