1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Frequency of Meteor Showers.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Hymir, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bithir

bithir Space Spelunker

It is something that has to be reduced for sure. I am guessing people that has no issues with this are the ones that do not spend time at the surface much. Wife is about to pack up the game, she keeps being hit by meteors all the time and it is such a hassle picking up all the stuff and re-shuffling it back into chest every time and rebuilding the housing/farms. The first time it was kinda amusing, but by the 5th+ time, it is just an annoyance, since you can do nothing to protect yourself from it.

I noticed there is a mod someone made to remove them, going to try that next and see if it makes the game enjoyable for her again.

2. Branfish

Branfish Intergalactic Tourist

All those people who are saying "Just move to another planet" are forgetting that some of us don't have that option. I'm still on my first world. I want to progress and complete the boss so I can move on, but it's difficult to make any progress when meteor showers with one-hit kills fall every half hour. Obviously I can't speak for how annoying it would be during the rest of the game as I haven't got to it yet, but it definitely needs to be fixed so that meteors don't fall with such frequency on starting worlds.

EDIT: Apologies, I've just discovered that I can in fact travel to other worlds without defeating that boss. That changes things somewhat. I still don't think it should have started me on that world, but it's not the enormous handicap I believed it to be. And also the game should make it more clear that you don't have to defeat that boss to travel to other worlds.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. ukmatt

ukmatt Intergalactic Tourist

Yeah i'd like to add my frustration to this, in the hope anyone taking feedback is reading. I can't see what this feature is supposed to add, part of the longevity of the game will be about building and decorating homes and this feature totally removes the desire to do that if you know its going to be blown to bits.

If, for some reason, you want to keep this feature I really hope you can put in an option to disable it because I hate it and I really see it as a way to ruin a big part of the game (building).

4. ktoff

ktoff Intergalactic Tourist

I just picked up the game and have been playing for just shy of an hour, trying to learn the game and I have seen 5 meteor showers in that time. Two of those killed me, once when I was outside and once when I was in my small house sleeping/regenerating. Everytime you immediately need to run arround recollecting seeds from your farm, tables doors etc, it is extremely frustrating.

Meteor showers, especially in that frequency, on a starting planet are an absolute no-go.

I was ready to give up on the game, but after reading this thread I'll just re-start a new game and hope for non-meteor showers.

5. Gun_Shy

Gun_Shy Void-Bound Voyager

Man, this discussion got pretty heated. That could almost be a pun if I could better associate it with meteor showers...WAIT. How about this one; that's just plain - MetioWRONG!!! Eh? Eeeh?

:cry:

But no seriously, I've started two characters. One has never seen a meteor shower. The other has to keep rebuilding his house (even though it's already underground to begin with) and start a sub-level hydroponic farm because they are just so frequent. I almost guarantee you it has to do with the planet you're on, and not some funky setting that went awry.

Anybody found a material that will withstand it? Right now I'm just piling lots of dirt on my house lol.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Concrete or obsidian/blast rock/magma rock can withstand about 2 hits instead of 1.

And meteor shower, along with its frequency, is entirely dependent on the planets. The beauty of rogue-like game...you could start your character right on an asteroid belt. No wood. No air. No heat. No hope. Just gotta either make do with what you have, or make a new character and hope for the best. Or if you can, ditch the planet you found meteor shower on. I found planets with no meteor shower at all.

7. Lagomorf

Lagomorf Space Penguin Leader

This may be offtopic, but i have experienced impossibly frequency of acid rains on snow planet when playing on multilayer server. It was stopping for about 3-4 minutes and than continue again and again. I tried to fly high enough to reach an asteroid, but when i put myself into a chair damn acid rain fell on me, even outside the atmoshphere.

8. TheDessicrated

TheDessicrated Void-Bound Voyager

I built a eight block think dome of glass around my compound seems to work pretty well considering how common sand is to make glass with.

9. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Ironically the only times I've seen Meteor Showers, they were the BIG ones... I'm talkin' meteors the size of MEN.

All of a sudden I felt sorry for that Glitch Castle I teleported away from when it happened. The whole thing was being blasted apart...

I'd say if Meteors needed any sort of nerf, it's not timing, but strength. There absolutely needs to be some kind of material that can withstand them. I believe most player-made housing material should absolutely withstand meteor impacts if they're going to be that frequent
    (at least the metals).
    ... yes. I think 1% is frequent. Why?

When's the last time your REAL-LIFE house was blown to smithereens by a car-sized meteor?

Never? That's because you have an EXPONTENTIALLY higher chance of winning the LOTTERY, or getting struck by lightning. And neither of those things even REMOTELY approaches near 1%.

If the Earth had a 1% chance of getting struck by large meteors every day, everyone would PANIC.

... we would also be living in a post-apocalyptic world.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    gb3792 and Lagomorf like this.
  10. TheZoobler

TheZoobler Intergalactic Tourist

Want to throw in my vote that meteors seem to be immensely unfair and obnoxious. However, I think one small fix could make people feel better about it.

Add a warning line into planet descriptions if there is extreme/unpleasant weather. Like, underneath the description of the planet's climate, but a bright red line that says "WARNING: METEOR SHOWERS!". It would make sense that your ship's scanners could identify this with a planet, and it would save a great amount of people a great deal of pain.

The problem with "just moving" is that some people keep moving and keep running into more meteor showers :p. It sucks to work for HOURS and then have it all blow up :p.

If you want to keep it "hardcore", just make it so that in Hard mode, the warning doesn't display on the planetary map.

Lagomorf likes this.
  11. ktoff

ktoff Intergalactic Tourist

Ok, I just started my fourth okay to get to know this game.

Fourth time, yay! Night is over, no meteors, I leave my (crude) house to explore the area for a bit....BAM house destroyed trees destroyed, farm destroyed. This is the fourth time on the fucking starting planet.

Maybe veteran players need the challenge, but I want to get to know the game without shit being blown to smithereens.

Could the meteor shower please be disabled for the starting planet? Moving on is not an option at this point.

12. Ireilas

Ireilas Void-Bound Voyager

Hell yes, totally dito.
    I searched the forum for the answer, if giant meteors are pure randomly, but if there's a chance of 1% for ALL planets, I don't want to built a house anymore.
    1%, huh? Well my house is blowing up the second time in two days. And I'm purposely only very briefly below. Has apparently achieved nothing.

13. Cole

Cole Aquatic Astronaut

I agree, i enjoy building nice houses but every time i build one a massive meteor destroys everything.... 3 times so far.

14. Drakaden

Drakaden Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've encountered 1 planet with footballed size raining and it's no fun, it wreck everything, including you, i took long inspecting times on each planet i wanted to set home on before actually installing anything, if you got showers of meteors on every planets you went on, you sir are extremely unlucky, and i mean, really unlucky lol

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  15. Brownfinger

Brownfinger Aquatic Astronaut

I would just move. Doesn't cost much to fly to another planet in the same system.

16. Ireilas

Ireilas Void-Bound Voyager

Funny, I build of a planet with forest a deep bunker and now nothing happends - for three days not a giant meteor. |D

17. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

We have a spaceship and can warp, but we do not have a feature to analysze a planets wheater? kinda crappy a bit ^^. Or one of these many Starbound curiousities.

actually I hope for a future feature, that the planet screen in the navigation should reveal a planets wheater conditions, once you arrived at this planet.

18. Punchahontas

Punchahontas Space Hobo

Has anyone figured if meteors are biome-specific? Are they star system-specific?

I've had meteor showers on an alpha-level Forest biome I was hoping to make my safe haven. I will check the other forest biome in the star system and report if I get meteor showers...

On a side note, it should say "this system has meteor impacts" or something similar, from a gameplay perspective.This newly-introduced mechanic is cool but I don't think it's fair to make people find out the hard way X planet is a really bad place to build a base (often times after they've put a lot of work into it) without a heads up.

19. flamedance58

flamedance58 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Though meteor is a royal pain in the rear my friend and I have always explored the whole planet first before anything else and that will typically take you at least a day or so and that's bound to be long enough for a storm to start or not.

Though I must admit it'd be nice if the Nav System could tell you some basic knowledge of the planet like "rains a lot!", "it's about to explode!, "acid rain", "slowly being turned into Jello!".

20. Azurium

Azurium Space Spelunker

I have only encountered one meteor shower, and it was absolutely hilarious. I was on an Avian airship, and I was in the process of being killed by them, when all of a sudden, a meteor shower ends up helping me get rid of most of the Avians. xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.