1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Force Gates 2.1.1 [Spirited Giraffe]

Tired of meteors destroying your painstakingly crafted house? Deflect them onto your friend's house!

1. blahblahdrugs

blahblahdrugs Star Wrangler

How could I set it up so that I can switch the gates on and off from an extremely long distance. I'm trying to make an elevator with very powerful gates when on and weak gates for controlled decent when off but I'm not sure how to set it up so that it can be switched on and off from either side. I'm talking well over 2000 blocks in length. Is it possible?

2. rmcrowley2000

rmcrowley2000 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just user the force controller and assign all the gates in the elevator to one controller. Then, have a switch control the controller (or use buttons/proximity sensors and a latch).

A slightly fancier version is to use 2 controllers -- one that controls almost all the gates (strongly upward to go up, slightly downward to go down), and one that controls a few a the very bottom, which are set to: off to go up, very strongly up to go down. Takes some trial and error to get the strengths right, but it is quite effective. My current base uses this design.

3. blahblahdrugs

blahblahdrugs Star Wrangler

Since I'm using s3rious mod pack I had access to cool stuff. I used a latch switch with repeaters and a button to create a timed lift. The lift defaulted to down unless I hit the button and then it would be in an very powerful up state for 30 seconds and then switch back off. It worked very well but controlling the decent was a pain. I ended up ripping it apart and using the gravatron mod for my elevator. I'm still working out the kinks with that now too. When the next stable hits we'll have teleporters and I'll probably just use those.

4. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Just wanted to let you know these no longer work as of Spirited Giraffe.
    Starbound.log gives this error
    Code:
    [11:20:14.283] Error: Exception while invoking lua function 'update'. (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/ptforcegate/forcegate/ptforcegate.lua"]:438: (LuaException) Error converting LuaValue to type 'N4Star5MaybeINS_6StringEEE': (LuaException) Cannot coerce lua value into a string
    Consequentially, the force gates don't respond to wire signals, and even when placed in the world and not wired, they do not repel entities.

5. jawnloo

jawnloo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

PenguinToast likes this.
  6. PenguinToast

PenguinToast Big Damn Hero

PenguinToast updated Force Gates with a new update entry:

v2.1.1 Stable - Updated to work with Spirited Giraffe

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1430927597][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thanks, I've updated the mod with your fix.

7. Lance Hancock

Lance Hancock Existential Complex

I got a question do you plan on keeping a stable build of this mod working? Because I am really only downloading mods from moders who fix their mods asap. I know you just updated which is awesome just want to know if you plan on keeping it up. I only ask because I have had too many saved games ruined and wasted resources because the author of a mod decided to not fix it until a month later, all the while I would have to choose to wait to play starbound for a month or remove mod at which point all the resources I had sunk into building modded stuff is gone. *cough Bees! mod. I am not saying that is what you do. I am just asking which moder are you?

8. PenguinToast

Just switched to a new phone recently, so I wasn't getting any forum notifications - Once I get everything set back up, if someone posts something in this thread about a bug, I'll try to fix it ASAP.

9. Zerio-theCancer

Zerio-theCancer Void-Bound Voyager

Wanted to let you know that this mod doesn't seem to work anymore.

Code:
    [11:53:17.470] Error: Exception while invoking lua function 'update'. (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/ptforcegate/forcegate/ptforcegate.lua"]:164: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
    Any chance you can fix this?

10. VasVadum

VasVadum Cosmic Narwhal

Just a thought but, did you consider maybe putting the many many gif images into a collapsible area so that we aren't loading all of them simultaneously upon viewing the page? :p Not everyone has high speed infinite data plans, just saying. :p

11. Fire_snake

Fire_snake Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Update it to Glad Giraffe pls

12. blackenedbutterfly

blackenedbutterfly Big Damn Hero

I can confirm it doesn't work properly for Glad Giraffe. Trying to use the force wiring tool just ends up with me shooting out 0-damage blood, and the gates won't recognize each other.

(Thanks in advance, I really like this mod)

13. PenguinToast

Thanks for the feedback!
    Unfortunately, I currently have no plans on modding Starbound in the near future. The source for the mod is available here: https://github.com/PenguinToast/PTForceGate
    If anyone has Starbound modding experience, feel free to take a shot at fixing Force Gates, and upload a fixed version; as long as appropriate credits are given.