For Honor

Discussion in 'Games' started by MilkCalf, Feb 14, 2017.

?

Who do you pledge your allagiance to? What faction you (plan to) most play as? Stance on honor?

1. Question 1: For the Knights!

23.8%
  2. For the Vikings!

23.8%
  3. For the Samurai!

42.9%
  4. Question 2: As a knight

38.1%
  5. As a viking

14.3%
  6. As a samurai

33.3%
  7. Question 3: For honor!

81.0%
  8. No honor, only victory!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

Hell, I'm the only dude going Knight....Yeesh..

2. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

No you're not. I'm knight too.

I prefer playing as Viking classes, though.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    MilkCalf and HunterC1998 like this.
  3. HunterC1998

HunterC1998 Cosmos Killer

Ahh, well that makes sense, I'm weird for trying to focus and commit to a single group..

4. BloodyFingers

I wish I didn't suck so hard with Wardens. But I do.

HunterC1998 likes this.
  5. BloodyFingers

Ok, I guess to compensate for the last shitty matches, now I got an awesome one. Never had I scored above 600 points.

I lost the last round of domination, but it was due to timeout. And just when things seemed hopeless, with one player afk and one bot stuck in the spawning area, we almost turned that shit around. It was 1100 x 790 when it was over. A valiant effort. Wasted, but valiant.

MilkCalf and Corraidhín like this.
  6. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

I have to admit, the Warden, Shugoki, and Lawbringer are really fun. I just prefer grunting along with every swing when playing the Vikings. Shouting along in Latin with the Knights is cool too.

7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Sounds like a tale of glory! better lose with loud, grand defeat, than win a hundred boring matches

BloodyFingers and MilkCalf like this.
  8. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

There is a chance that your firewall works against Uplay but most can portforward it so that it works. (Indicated by a red 'NAT' on the screen) Unless you're like me and had a too old stubborn router.
    I play as Knights some times.
    Thankfully there aren't a lot of that kinds of players. And they should die to revenges.

9. BloodyFingers

aye, we don't just keel over, that's for sure.
    That same pvp match where the enemy Warlord pulled the best Galdalf "shall not pass!!" impersonation, a friend of mine playing Warden also fought bravely to the bitter end. The battle was already lost, he was the last hero standing in our team, yet it took all four of them together to kill him. :rofl:

Seems like the Orochi is one of the most used classes in Multiplayer.

Corraidhín and MilkCalf like this.
  10. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

For honor even in defeat!

I like Orochi. They survive longer than Peacemakers (tried them two times and kept dying), do more damage than beserkers and have sneaky ninja stuff. Most probably play them because they are 'the cool Samurai' though.

Edit:
    Do you guys have good computers? 'Cause mine is apparently bellow minimum requirements (though it still works) and shows 1600-1800/978MB. I know my computer is a bit old and that the game has hight graphics but my computer used to be a monster.

Dipdoo and BloodyFingers like this.
  11. BloodyFingers

yyyeeeah... Cool Samurai, huh...

Of the three factions ingame, the Samurai are the worst warriors in history. They mostly fought among themselves. European knights and vikings at least tested their mettle against other warriors, and if I'm not mistaken, even against each other at one point. Vikings especially. The nords had contact with a lot of different cultures. And by contact I mean their axes contacting someone else's skull.

Then again in the world of For Honor the samurai met and fought the other two factions, so I guess they aren't the same. But even in this universe the Samurai sort of became isolationists. You see that when you play the campaign.

hmm, did I just break a thread rule?

MilkCalf and Dipdoo like this.
  12. BloodyFingers

I need to stop playing this game late at night.

Anyway, I forwarded the ports that For Honor (or 4H for short, as my friend coined in a chat) supposedly uses, but still got Moderate NAT.

13. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

It shouldn't be a problem. The 10% that have strict NAT can't play with you and as they are the minority they should usually be the ones that are disconnected from the game you play. Of course I would worry if ylur NAT fluctuates between moderate and strict.

14. BloodyFingers

As far as I know, it stays firmly in moderate.

MilkCalf likes this.
  15. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I know I'm late but even though I'm with the Samurai I still play with Knights some times. Their defencive capabilities are top notch and Conquerors can whoop my ass faster than you can say "Secret Ninja Art". Also the Knight chapter is badass. (Though I have yet to do the other two chapters)

Now I have two topics I would like to discuss. Firstly, what do you think of throwing people off of clifs, at spikes/fire/geysers? These moves really annoy me but I think you are given tools to counter this: Counter Guard break, it's already an important skill to learn anyway; positioning, they can't throw you if they don't have a place to throw you to and of course the people that do use these cheap tactics likely haven't trained actual fighting, giving you an upper hand in a fair fight. Comebacks are always possible, even if the enemy is on full health and you are on your last bar.

Peacemaker, a Hero of extremities. The most fragile at the moment but at the same time one of the fastest. It's no wonder it's been argued over wether she is UP or OP (majority I believe). I'd say that she quite balanced myself but sometimes I wonder if her triple stab attack is cheap or not. It's succes mostly depends on wether her foe can guard break or not. I can't deside if this is a flawed mechanic that needs to be fixed (Maybe by replasing it with another attack?) or if it's fine as is. Make no mistake, I am against her getting nerfed.

BloodyFingers likes this.
  16. BloodyFingers

Honestly, I think Orochi is more OP than peacekeeper. It is almost as agile as them, has a lot of counters that severely restrict your strategies if the enemy masters it, and generally has a lot of annoying hit&run attacks.

As for throwing, I am torn on it. sometimes it's cheap, sometimes it's a tactical advantage that requires more than just combat skills out of a player. I think some classes have unfair throws that send their foes way too far and makes them very dangerous around cliffs. In any case, keep a finger close to that guard break button.
    I said I sucked with the Warden, but lately I've put enough hours on it to be fairly decent with them. I won almost all pvp duels with him, facing off against different classes. While his attack options are limited, it has decent durability and his light attacks are very good if you know how to use them.

I'll be honest though: I haven't played the game in two days now. I guess the frenzy has passed and now I am beginning to see the wrinkles. I am in no way regretting the purchase, but I think my daily playtime will be substantially reduced in the future

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    MilkCalf likes this.
  17. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

Both of those classes have fast overheads, Orochi when close with the double overhead and Peacekeeper with the dash. Holding top block and forcing them to initiate is a good way to force mistakes. PK's range is low too.

I don't use cliffs until someone uses one against me, then it's full usage, no remorse. I prefer slapping it out, but cliff-tossing isn't too bad, also, both Orochi and Peacekeeper are bad at edge-tossing.

MilkCalf and BloodyFingers like this.
  18. BloodyFingers

The assassins usually have short range (Orochi being the exception again, his katana has a bit more reach than their fellow assassins) but their quick dodges help clear the distance. And as the game suggests, they are focused on counter attacks. Players who are more familiar will wait for their foes to attack first. And then there is the risk of falling into a defensive stance and get hit by a surprise guard break. which is another reason I suggested keeping a finger on the guard break button at all times.

I use cliffs against bots, mostly. I admit to using it against players when they are clearly superior in skill, but even then I often fail and get tossed around instead. Other than that, as the samurai would say:

Isa Jinjo ni shobu da!!!

(let's have a fair duel)

I will say, I've relied more and more on parries against enemies. It is risky, especially against fast-hitting foes, but with enough practice, I can even disable assassin classes with a Warden. I also discovered that Parry works with outside attacks, which may get you a short breathing window against multiple foes. Of course, you will get stuck on the parry animation which leaves you open to attacks, so you'll want to time it perfectly with the last attack you are about to receive.

But Nobushis are still my nightmare. I can't, for the life of me, get the timing of their attacks right. Valkyries too, now that I think about it.

MilkCalf likes this.
  19. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I think the heroes that people think are OP or UP are mostly just the ones that they fare a certain way agains with their own playstyles. For example, I love controlling the flow of the duel so I have trouble against defensive ones.
    I think edge-tossing is dishonorable and invites sloppiness. I wanna be prepared to deal the finishing blow at all times. A player on their last bar of health is often panicky and dangerous. I usually wait for them to do a desperate attack and deflect it and move to a heavy attack. I'm the opposite of you Bloody, I resort to it only when I know I'm gonna win and wanna get on with it. Though usually only against bots because it's not dishonourable then.
    The forward throw off the assassins does suck but the other ones are quite good.

20. BloodyFingers

I understand what you mean, but then you have someone like the Raider, who specializes in throws and depleting the enemy's stamina. On maps that doesn't have cliffs, it sounds fine. But otherwise, restricting yourself to pummeling foes because of it makes the raider all but useless. He has shit defense and his attacks, as damaging as they are, can all be easily interrupted. And I like the raider... :c

The Warden's shoulder bash can send someone over the edge too, despite intentions.

I wish the game had a system similar to Nioh when it comes to edge-tossing. In Nioh, you get a split second to roll away from the edge before you fall, as long as you have the stamina to do so.

MilkCalf likes this.