1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Food farming techniques?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Fauxglove, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Fauxglove

Fauxglove Subatomic Cosmonaut

With the addition of needing to water your plants, and the watering can being obnoxious, farming has become something of a hassle. The only effective way to water is rainfall anymore, and that means you can't condense your farm, it has to be spread out over half the planet.

Does anyone have suggestions on effective ways to water plants? Post pictures of your farms maybe?

2. ClockworkMidnight

ClockworkMidnight Big Damn Hero

Does rainfall even water them anymore?

3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

There are three kinds of rain, and the lightest rainfall does not affected tilled soil.

4. Fauxglove

Fauxglove Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've done some light farming since the patch, I can confirm that rainfall will water tilled soil.
    but if I want to plant all the crops, and have space for 10 plants in each plot, I'll need 20 blocks for each plot, with 39 types of plant, that's almost 800 blocks. That's like a third of the surface area of the planet I'm on if I have to lay it out end to end.

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

So don't farm every individual crop? It's really nit necessary to and the only benefits, really, are exploring what food recipes are available and finding the most profitable crop.

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Just make an infinite water generator - quite a few guides on how to do it available.
    Also a mechanical watering mechanic using horizontal gates and wires.

7. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

I'm testing small farm - about 2000 blocks, with mods
    Gardenbot
    Automatic Irrigator
    Perennial Crops

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already love these bots more than tenants!

TrueEdge likes this.
  8. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

repelled: you call that a small farm?!

9. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

Here are just four floors!
    I have a dream about realy BIG farm where each plant species planted in special soil, has a special lights and surrounded by a special fence etc...
    I'm not sure - it's a farm or floran temple :)

10. The | Suit

Florans hate plants, they love meat.
    Their temple would be comprised of various bodies hanging from meat hooks. Similar to a cold storage locker in a Butcher Shop.

TMan1019 likes this.
  11. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

Love and worship is not the same.
    Btw, temple plants must to grow on the bones...

12. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

2015-10-04_00001.jpg
    I've been building a factory farm and as you can see the irrigation system in this game right now is pretty repulsive. Observe how the farmland is surrounded by water, yet isn't moistened.

It's more economical to get rid of the water tank completely and let rain do the work. Automated farms are really painful to manage.

13. The | Suit

No point putting water below - it needs to touch the tilled soil.
    Also the non moistened land seems to have less then 1 point value of water. So it is most likely not being registered.
    Just remove the water below part and you should be fine.

14. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

but, you see, Just slightly above 1/2 a block of water will uproot the plant.

The water below is just part of a runoff system.