1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Tutorial fix for nightly 08/11/2015

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by krazybluemonkey, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alaine

Alaine Guest

make backup of assets of normal starbound, move into normal starbound assets from Nightly, use Assets Unpacker, then move unpacked Assets folder into mods folder and rename folder to fix, then follow instructions and create .modinfo in fix folder =)
    it works for me

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  2. stabito

stabito Space Hobo

followed all of the steps and was able to play the game no problem yesterday but today when i try playing it gives me this message Fatal Exception caught: (JsonException) No such key in Json::get("newItemAnimation") any ideas how i can fix this

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Thats not caused by this problem. Its a json error, so some json file in one of your mods is messed up.

4. stabito

stabito Space Hobo

well i know absolutely nothing about this kind of stuff so if i uninstall and reinstall the game and redo all the steps it should work again right

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

6. RPGAngel

RPGAngel Phantasmal Quasar

Okay I am trying the fix but am having a problem with the unpacker. I am trying the one in the thread(a downloaded one) the TC suggested but when I try to run it, by clicking on it, it is only on screen for a second or two the dissapears. Nothing is unpacked. I don't even have time to see what is says in it before it goes poof.

7. tonidouz

tonidouz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

8. RPGAngel

Thank you, hopefully today's update fixed it and I won't have to worry about doing this for now.

Edit: Well so much for that hope...2 updates later and they still haven't fixed whatever it was they did. Guess it was a big mess up that will take time to fix. In the meantime, off to see if I can figure out how to do this fix.

Edit 2: Still having trouble. I no longer get the chuckle error but now get a jasn error. I'm going to have to do a second post to put in the pic as I can't seem to be able to do it while editing a previous post.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  9. RPGAngel

Here is the pic of the error:

Edit: I got it working, thanks Tanznuketerror! The .modinfo in the file you gave us worked! All I had to do was replace the one I made with yours(I must have messed mine up) since I had all ready done the rest. Now to finally play Starbound :) !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  10. DJ Code

DJ Code Void-Bound Voyager

While not everyone knows about relative paths, you don't have to actually move the packed.pak; the below line should work. It will need to be run from the directory where the asset_unpacker.exe is. I will note that this was, obviously, written on Windows, but a similar command should work on other platforms.

WARNING: DO NOT RUN COMMANDS FROM THE INTERNET, OR ANYWHERE FOR THAT MATTER, IF YOU DO NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO!!! THIS INCLUDES THE COMMAND BELOW!

.\asset_unpacker.exe '..\..\Starbound - Unstable\assets\packed.pak' '..\..\Starbound - Unstable\giraffe_storage\mods\workaround'​

Just thought I'd share the command that I used. A quick explanation (my warning still stands, though):
    • Most platforms other than Windows use the forward slash '/' as the directory separator, rather than the backslash '\'; substitute as appropriate.
    • In command line interfaces (CLI), ".\" refers to the current folder
    • In CLIs, '..\' refers to the parent directory
    • Therefore, the above command is running the asset_unpacker.exe from the current directory, and pointing to the files up two levels (i.e. the Steam 'common' folder), then under the Starbound Unstable folders
    • The unpacker will create the destination folder if it doesn't exist; in this case, it creates the 'workaround' folder under the Unstable build's 'mods' folder
    You will still need to create the '.modinfo' file, however.

11. xSlacker

xSlacker Pangalactic Porcupine

Just replying here to thank OP for this fix. :3

12. midga

midga Void-Bound Voyager

This worked like a charm. :party:

13. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

New Update - New problem - missing Launcher folder , replacing Launcher from stable starts the game , but there is something wrong , missing admin command etc.

NEW FIX-do not copy `` launcher ``directory
    just download missing msvcp.dll , and vcruntime140.dll - and copy them to your starbound ``win32 `` directory , you must then launch the game from within ``win32`` directory -enjoy
    eventually , you can download those dll`s 64 bit versions - and copy them at your ``win64`` directory as well

sorry for my English

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  14. Skunky

Skunky Big Damn Hero

Yikes, this is getting a bit embarassing...

15. xSlacker

xSlacker Pangalactic Porcupine

This is hilarious, haha. x)

16. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Locking as no longer relevant as the asset issue has been fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.