Fishing to difficult

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mamachi, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Mamachi

Mamachi Seal Broken

I want to know if I can finish the game without fishing. I tried for several days but I am not capable to do it. My eyes and my fingers wont cooperate LOL.
    I wished there was a patch or mods or something so I could just fish without the minigame because I really love to play Stardew Valley. Can you make such a patch for an old lady.

Kurachi84 likes this.
    • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

And if you happen to be on console, my only advice is just keep leveling. It gets much easier, and certain food items and equipment for the better rods will help as well.:)

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Also, there's no "finish" to the game. There are challenges, such as enabling the magical refurbish of the community center, but it doesn't terminate the game any more than Grandpa's approval does. Play as much or as little as you want, and go for whatever objectives you personally set for yourself. Stardew Valley is pretty great that way.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

first i started with crab pots, just to make progress with my level... but then i took a mod to the game, which makes fishing goes instantly
          without it, i'd be busy with anything BUT fishing
          i planned on maxing my fishing level, and then give it a go, just with crab pots, so that the fishing bar is bigger, and i can use bait and tackle
          but i'm free now, and since i don't like this game's fishing (breath of fire 3 did it better, imo), i keep it with this mod
          1 thing i'll never do (i hope) is setting it to always get a treasure, that's cheap

tip: Linus his bait catches less junk items than normal bait, but costs some more items (1 bug meat vs 5 bug meat, 5 slimes(item) and 10 fiber)
          someone on youtube did research, and got almost same amount of fish as normal bait, but less trash items

but yeah, fish can be bought at the traveling cart, and the crab pot bundle is doable with the shells on the beach, and crab in the mines
          you always get experience, even with trash, but i saw it going way slower if you catch trash with a rod crab pot is the same

you just gotta fill the crab pots with bait everyday, which can be made with 1 bug meat for 5.... if on level 4 fishing, so use Linus his bait until then
          that is if you don't wanna use mods, if you do.... well, see post above with links

i have my time slowed down with a mod, but fishing still is nice and useful, without the minigame... with Linus his bait, so i get more fish and less trash

• Aulendra

Aulendra Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, I’ve been playing since release and fishing in this game just never jibed with me. It feels really intense and flares up my carpal tunnel.I installed the “very easy” version of the fishing mod and that made fishing a relaxing pasttime again.

Erick648 likes this.
            • Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

I feel the same way. The fishing game feels too rushed and stressful for a game I play to relax. If Stardew Valley was an action game I played to get an adrenaline rush, it would be fine, but there's a reason why I don't play that sort of game (I get enough stress IRL, and don't want any from my games). There's a reason why out-of-genre minigames tend to be controversial (logic puzzles in action games being a common example): not everyone who likes the genre of the main game also likes the genre of the minigame.

• Mom2Gamer

Mom2Gamer Phantasmal Quasar

I use Lobster Bisque to give me +3 Fishing, it helps a lot at every level of fishing. HTH <3 Gamer-Mom

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

It also helps to remember that (as ConcernedApe proudly pointed out) it's a case of an inverse difficulty gaming system. While it's pretty difficult at first, it gets progressively easier. So if you suffer from muscular or nerve-based issues in your arms or wrists, try a very low level of difficulty in a fishing mod. Then see if you can switch it something less drastic, later on.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

My big thing is Dish O' the Sea for the +3 fishing buff. It's available earlier in the game. First Spring I try to save at least 10 sardine, and buy the Hashbrowns recipe from Gus. Plus if you watch the travelling cart Sandfish and Pufferfish are common, so it's easy to finish the Specialty Fish bundle quickly, for the 5x Dish O' the Sea reward.

Also, while it doesn't seem like a big thing, the +1 buff from trout soup can be good if you use it correctly, to increase your casts. Cast distance, and the quality of fish you can reach,goes up at levels 1 and 4. I generally ignore it at level 0 because money's tight, but I like to have a couple for level 3. It'll allow reaching the gold quality fish a level earlier.

Mom2Gamer likes this.
                    • UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I never remember to go get the sardines and keep them so I don't have the experience using it much. But in the guide I am working on for my 'directed' play through does contain saving extra potatoes and a day or two of ocean fishing for just that purpose.

As for trout soup I love it.
                      In fact, I very often make the sacrifice of buying a trout soup on day 2. I find that if I chop or pick 100 energy's worth of trees and/or rock first thing on day 2 morning then I can immediately get level 1 fishing to start my fishing. Even with the slightly later start to fishing I don't have trouble reaching real fishing level 2 by the end of the day and still have enough money to afford the fiberglass rod and <usually> a trout soup for day 3 fishing as well.

I do it because level 1 fishing is in my experience an order of magnitude better than no fishing level at all. The bigger bar makes catching the fish so much easier, especially the flighty ones like chub and large mouth bass. That way I spend most of the day at level 1 fishing effectively instead of fishing at level 0 then 1 to make 2 late.
                      I want to also mention the increased casting distance improves the quality of the fish so that the lost money is recouped as far as I can tell especially when you factor in lost fish saved.

I am not good enough at fishing to catch catfish. Not day 3, not year 2. So I'm no real money maker off fishing but I do well enough to get the rod on day 3 and save the rest of my fish until getting level 5 for plus 25% long before the egg festival which is when I sell them for strawberry money.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I don't. In my mind, getting from level 0 to level 1 is only like 8 fish at the most. Also, on day 2 I don't want to wait at the dock for Willy's shop to open.
                        My first 3 days are pretty well set in stone. Even when I see strategies that outdo mine, I find it difficult to break my routine...

Day 1, I get a chest ready to take to the fishing spot.

Day 2, I water crops and go straight to the beach, then straight to the Mountain Lake. The only deviation I allow myself is, if there's a daffodil on the way I'll grab it and go give it to Linus, for the How To Win Friends quest. Generally speaking I don't lose any fish. If I do it's because I'm grabbing a treasure chest and just not paying good enough attention to the progress bar. As long as the RNG hasn't been totes B, I'll finish the day about level 2.6, and about 1,900g in fish plus whatever goodies I've got from treasure chests.

Day 3, I take any bait I've got from treasure chests, go straight to the beach and fish until Willy opens, sell the beach fish, buy the rod, bait, and a trout soup if I can afford it. Then straight back to the mountain lake. About the time I'm down 100 stamina I'm at level three and eat the trout soup. My focus is on getting perfect, gold bullheads. I certainly don't get them all perfect, but by the end of the day I've got quite a few. Again, if the RNG is decent, I've got level 5 by the end of the day. I don't sell the fish that night because I want to level up and get the 25% Fisher perk. I've seen it said somewhere that the perk applies to the fish you sell that night, but I just don't think that's true. With fish and baubles from treasure chests, I've got cash for the backpack, plus seeds.

But we're getting off topic... :D

• Mamachi

Mamachi Seal Broken

Thanks for all you help. I ended up using the mod and is now a happy fisherman at level 9.

Kurachi84 and BentFX like this.
                          • mAGWYN

mAGWYN Yeah, You!

I was about to say dont go with a Mod. I also hated fishing I coudnt catch a thing other than trash. So I went with the trash. Fishing the small pool in home farm. Get crab pots. use them for a few levels. This gives you a larger fishing "Bar". Then Lead weight to stop "bounce".
                            Having done this a few times I now find that I can fish. Yes I still miss a few but manage lvl 10 fishing and all fish for bundles by early second year. There is a rythm to it and it is worth the time to practice. It also helps to know what sort of fish (and their behavior) bite when and where. Go for the smooth movement to start.
                            Current farm Summer Y2 Lvl 10 fishing. No legendary yet but will work on that over winter. went straight from first pole to 3rd one with just enough crab pots to keep my crystal supply up ie 5 pots 2 recycle .
                            One thing that did take me ages to master was the controlled Down. ie you need to hit up while going down or you bounce all over the place.
                            Good Luck
                            Mags

• Bubbsart

Bubbsart Space Hobo

Stardew Valley is a game without end. And now back to the topic.

I do have two mods that make the fishing easier, and they do help a bit.

The only problem is I have to click a lot to get the fish to stay in place!!

Guess you have to do it more to get skilled at it.