Fish Tank Strategies?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CartonCruncher, Sep 21, 2017.

1. CartonCruncher

CartonCruncher Void-Bound Voyager

So, I'm getting close to completing the community center, but I can't finish the stupid fish tank!
    No matter where I fish, or what bait I use, I never get the fish that I need, and it's getting annoying! Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get the fish required for the bundles? I'm getting very desperate, as I'm nearing the end of winter in the second year, and really want to finish the community center to get brownie points with Grandpa.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Some of the fish needed are only available in a certain season, and some add in the extra conditions that it also has to be a certain time of day, and/or raining as well.
      Best thing I can suggest (it's what I do) is to check the wiki for the specific fish you need and what it's conditions are for when you can catch it.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

^This. You're likely not fishing at the correct place and time for what you need. The fishtank bundle is always one of the first ones I complete.

• MsMeiriona

MsMeiriona Phantasmal Quasar

Also, you are checking the cart, right? You never know what there's gonna be there.

Nunah, Reneeisxena, sabrinatw and 2 others like this.
          • oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

This infographic on the stardew valley wiki is still pretty accurate, I think. The right-most column on each table indicates if a fish belongs to a bundle, as well. Also, if you're lucky you can buy fish from the traveling cart in the cindersap woods on fridays and sundays. Krobus also has fish in stock on wednesdays.

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When I decided I wasn't going to use the travelling cart and was going to catch every fish it took me a long time. Fishing is a fiddly little thing with weather and seasons and time of day and difficulty.

That fish tank in the Community Centre annoys me. You finish it and there are no fish in it!

Nunah, LadySurly and LuthienNightwolf like this.
              • Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I will by the stonefish as I can usually finish the tank before I have access to the desert if I buy it.

• LuthienNightwolf

You mean the Sandfish? The stonefish can be caught at level 20 in the mines. ;)

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

I found I didn't complete the aquarium until I got the iridium rod. Not a big fan of the fishing, it is very tricky. The secret is to not panic and some times slow down tapping the button in order to keep the fish in the green. When I got the last fish I let out a yell that they probably heard in China. I was just so over the moon about it.

• LuthienNightwolf

Fishing is definitely an acquired skill. I was terrible on my first playthrough, hating doing it. Now I can reach level 10 Fishing with the beginner rod, and often just wait to buy myself the iridium rod as a personal reward.

There are some though that you won't be able to catch without help. Trapped bobbers and food buffs work wonders for the fish that dart around all over the place.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

My strategy for completing the Fish Tank bundle:

Spring:

Obtain Sunfish from the river that runs through town. Once that happens, head up to the Lake and pick up a Largemouth Bass, Carp, and Bullhead. Head to Beach, obtain Sardine. After dark, head back to the river and pick up a Bream. Keep a Chub for the Research bundle.

On the 3rd, get a Catfish and Shad from the river, and after dark get an Eel from the Ocean. If you don't catch one of these three on the third, do so on the next available rainy day in Spring.

Summer:

Pick up Sturgeon to complete Lake bundle. You can also pick up any of the other Lake Fish bundle requirements during the summer, make sure to complete this bundle in Summer.
                        Head to Beach, obtain Tuna, Tilapia, and Pufferfish.

During a rainy day, pick up Red Snapper from Beach.

Fall:

Pick up Tiger Trout from the river to complete River Fish bundle.

While raining, pick up Walleye and any of the other rain-only fish you may have previously missed. All five are available at their respective locations.

This should complete River, Ocean, Night, and Lake bundles.

At any time: Forage at the beach for Mussel, Cockle, Oyster, and Clam. Get a Crab in the mines from the rock-crabs. Complete crab pot bundle. Also in the mines, kill ghosts for the ghostfish. Once Oasis unlocks, fish the pond by the skull cave for the sandfish, or obtain via cart vendor if you get lucky. Once you get steel axe and unlock Secret Forest, obtain Woodskip, or obtain through cart vendor if you are lucky. This completes Specialty Fish Bundle

You are done by the first rainy day in Fall of your first year. Indeed, depending on RNG, it may be completed before the Greenhouse. The only kicker will be the Sandfish, because unlocking the Oasis is expensive, and you're taking all your profits and reinvesting them into your farm in the first year.

LadySurly likes this.
                        • guitardude_324

guitardude_324 Big Damn Hero

Shneekey has a great breakdown. I would also look at the graphic oinkgamer posted (or go to the wiki page)

Don't neglect the crab pots. Once I'm able to craft them, I'll make 1 or 2 and place them in the pond on the farm. I can catch a crawfish, snail, periwinkle, with that. Within 1-3 days. Combine that with forageables you find on the beach and you'll have the crab pot bundle done in no time.

The reward is 3 more crab pots. I love these for getting trash to recycle and the snail/periwinkle/crawfish are good for making the Sashimi recipe, which is the easiest recipe to make that restores a good amount of stamina and health.

-I think they also help you level up your fishing skill, not as much as the other fishing.
                          -Trap bobbers, and save your sardines for the 'Dish of the Sea' recipe, which will really help you with catching the tough fish.

• Reneeisxena

The iridium rod is the only way to go. As soon as it's available buy it, even if it takes every last gold piece it's worth it. You catch more fish faster which you can sell. I had been trying to get the catfish in the secret woods every time it rained and I just couldn't do it. I finally got the iridium rod and within a few minutes had the catfish. I even was able to get the bullhead that had been very illusive.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Just don't buy it twice by accident because you forgot you bought it two days earlier... nope... never happened... didn't make me cry... not at all...gah...

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                              • Reneeisxena

OH NO! Plant some ancient fruit you'll make the money back quickly.