Modding Help First mod installation

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Jrminot, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Jrminot

Jrminot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi all,

I just stood up my first Starbound server with CitadelServers.

I have never used mods but I wanted to test out the EnhancedStorage one.

I downloaded the two .pak files that came with it and loaded them into the mods folder on the server.

At first it just didn't seem to work at all. After removeing and replacing the files a couple times, I logged in to see that space in a chest was indeed bigger. I teleported to my ship and opened my locker at which point the game crashed with the following error:

"Exception caught in client main-loop
    (AssetException) Error loading asset
    /interface/chests/chest120.config"

My questions are thus:

1. The mod is on the server. Do I also need the files in my mods folder on my PC?

2. What would this error indicate

Thanks in advance.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Now I've never done multiplayer myself. My connection is too unreliable to consider it.

1. For most things, I'd say yes. For example if the player would see an object, they need to know what that object is. But again I haven't really done MP to answer this well.

2. Could be a few things, as there should be more to that error than that tiny snippet. Always post the whole log(in code and spoiler tags please). That error might happen because it can't find the asset, or it might be the asset itself has a JSON error. That's the interface for a 120 slot chest in any case. And if you say that you didn't add this mod on your PC itself, the former option seems likely. A more definitive answer is in your log though.

3. GonDragon

GonDragon Pangalactic Porcupine

1. Yes. Some mods could work if they are only on the server (Like, name generators), but most of the time you should asume that the mod should be both, in the server and in the player, to work. (Also, there are some mods that works without being on the server, and could be only on the client. Like Extended GUI or Many Tabs).

2. It means that the game has troubles trying to load an asset. Without the whole log, it's difficult to know what the error exactly is, but I bet that the game is just trying to load an unexisting file (because is trying to load something that is on the server, but not on the client).