Modding Discussion Firefly/Serenity "Big Box of Loot" collaboration

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dead Squirrel, Jan 1, 2014.

?

Who's the most important damn character to get done?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. Cpt. Mal

98 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Jayne

19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Wash

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Zoe

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Kaylee

12 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Simon

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. River

11 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Inara

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  9. Shepard Book

7 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. kittentamer

kittentamer Existential Complex

Awesome! The textures are the hard part. I have figured out the coding aspects, when I'm not derping out. It is fun figuring out the code. I love a challenge. ^^

I do agree about the names being referenced. I'm trying to cut down on it, but some of those long lines are just too awesome for me to resist! I'll definitely go with "My turn to take care of you." instead. lol. Sometimes I need someone to balance out my squee. =P
    I really want to fins somewhere to put "Put a bullet to me. Bullet in the brain pan. Squish." but "No power in the 'verse can stop me." is perfect for her stick gun. Maybe one part of her dress...I know one piece will have "Also? I can kill you with my brain." on it. Maybe just the RIver spawner will have that as one of her sayings....

Question for everyone: I'm going to finish making the weapons while Vera is fresh on my mind, what should I work on after that? Finishing costumes or trying to figure out how to make character spawners? I suppose if I went with the spawners it would give people a chance to submit their costumes. xD

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  2. Dead Squirrel

Dead Squirrel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Those character spawners have been nagging at me ... I really want to see them in the mod. I'm gonna take a look at them tmrw afternoon, whether you beat me to it or not :p

3. kittentamer

Derp...I only just noticed you included a description for the umbrella. Are you okay with "You're gonna come with us." or do you want me to change it to what you gave? <.>

4. Ifrix

Ifrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Either's fine.

Slightly off topic, working on another Firefly mod - http://d.pr/i/fib8 - http://d.pr/i/L68O . Just waiting to hear back from the creator of the hoverbike mod as to whether I can use some of his code...

Dead Squirrel likes this.
  5. kittentamer

Not off topic at all! People have requested the Mule, and is that other link the shuttle? That is awesome and very on topic. It would fit perfectly in here, or if you release it separate I'll make sure to link to it!
    ...you know....modding the base human ship just slightly could easily be turned into Inara's shuttle....Ideas, ideas!

6. Ifrix

Ifrix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it might be better as a separate mod and leave this for the clothing and weapons. Also thinking of adding the quad, Alliance helicopter and Reaver landspeeder.
    I was thinking of making it a ship but it's rather small...

kittentamer likes this.
  7. Dead Squirrel

Nice, Ifrix! I was hoping the mule would get added.

8. kittentamer

I think you could make some of them ships. I've seen some tiny ships *cough* DeadSquirrel *cough* Starbug *cough* that would be worth running with. Be perfect for people who want a planet base and just use the ship to travel in and make bases as they go.
    I am tempted to make a bigger version of Starbug, though.... =P

9. Dead Squirrel

Oh yes. That. "Commander Keen's Ship. Downloads: 11"

No disrespect for small ships, but people just need something a little bigger! (mumble mumble ... notthatsizematters... mumble)

10. kittentamer

I know I like setting up my base on ship and just using the worlds to explore/farm. I will be making a 'home base' once the final character wipe is done, but it is nice just to teleport up and craft. =P
    I think your little ship is cute, and everything is in clicking reach. ^.~

11. Dead Squirrel

Love that optimism! :D

So, I'm diving in and getting Spawners working. (Unrelated thoughts... the character spawners could be added to a base-firefly, so the chars are all there when you start a new ship!)

About what the characters are. Someone suggested River's tagless-canned food as an item - she could be a chef-type who sells un-labled, random-effect foods.
    Simon could, unsuprisingly, sell medical stuff! Who could've guessed! Jayne and Zoe might sell explosives/guns or else be a guard.

Since the spawners allow for randomizing, I could also have a few versions of each character assigned to a spawner so players don't know which version of a character they're getting.

Thoughts?

Also, should the characters be named or only be caricatures of their Firefly counterparts?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  12. kittentamer

It would be neat to have them part of the ship, though I think you'd need to merge the two mods in order to have the clothing?
    I'd like them named, but I'd be happy with caricatures too. I just love the idea of clicking on Book (veggie vendor): "I never married." "The important thing is the spices." "A man can live on packaged food from here 'til Judgment Day if he's got enough rosemary." "How you get there is the worthier part."

13. tron5088

tron5088 Space Spelunker

DEAD SQUIRREL i am new to starbound ive had it a week now i love the firefly you made and the big box of loot the other people have made but i have one question. Why is it when i try to play with my dad we both have the big box installed working perfectly but when we both try to play together on a server we are invisible to everyone and eachother?

14. Dead Squirrel

That probably because the server needs to have the mod installed too. Although, invisible? Are you wearing Firefly clothing?

You and your dad could make characters that don't use the mod content when you play on servers like this.

If you need more help, message me! I'll do what I can for ya.

15. Dead Squirrel

Can't find a way to assign a random character's gender but I can seed created characters so they always look the same.
    Two hours of feeding a random seed and I have ... Kaylee, Inara and a bald Zoe.

I'll have to find a more efficient way to to find the seeds we need.

On the plus: Clothing works, speech can be rewritten, and merchant inventory is a breeze. I also may tell River to run everywhere.

16. kittentamer

Hey, three almost down. And yes on the River running everywhere. I can't wait to see this!

17. FoolsPower

FoolsPower Subatomic Cosmonaut

Should totally add this to the big box of loot. Was trying to make it myself but I gave up when my attempt at the mule in pixel art turned into what can only be described as the inside of a whales anus.

Ifrix likes this.
  18. kittentamer

19. Dead Squirrel

Justown likes this.
  20. Dead Squirrel

Update on spawners:
    Getting these up and running has been a helluva lot slower than I hoped. I'm using a seed to create a male/female with the right skin tone, then adding tupes ("wigs") and clothing to finish them out. Each char will now have their own tupe if they didn't already. (Robo-kaylee looks pretty sweet!)

I still need to set each character's speech-lines, assign weapons, and get custom "spawner"-sprites done. I'm planning on making unique variants of each character that have a small chance to spawn - like pretty-bonnet-mal, or merchant-river who sells un-labled food cans.