FF4: The After Years

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xylia, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Yeah, you had a strategy guide ^^
    When on an actual psp, it's kinda gard to have one constantly under my eyes :c

Oh, and about your wonky RNG, I think the emulator did something since I never had stuff like 10 times the same battle, even after playing through the three games 2-4 times each....

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It isn't hard to sit at a desk while playing the PSP with a computer or a laptop on nearby with the SG. That and the route ain't too hard to memorize, in fact the dungeon is hilariously easy to memorize, as is its route through it.

As far as the fights, well, the "Guaranteed Drops" FAQ mentions a couple drops where the same battles do indeed occur, but not 10 in a row.

Here's an excerpt from one of them (This is for the Wii version admittedly, but still, it shows some evidence of wonky RNG):

So ya... the 3 mad ogres are always the 7th battle? And below that, the scripted battle... he's talking about move-by-move, the enemy always does this, this always happens, etc. lol. Now of course you gotta set your equipment, moon, etc up exactly right to get it to happen, but still.

3. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Yeah, that's RNG manipulation at this point ^.^

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, for RNG manipulation to work, it means the RNG is wonky in the first place. Dun get why the devs didn't base RNG off of some function of System Time, esp since I know at least the Wii keeps track of time&date, and I'd guess PSP does as well?

Ah well.

5. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Yeah, especially considering that some much older FF games have an internal clock for the RNG (the GBA port of V, for exapmle)

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So... I had a Megalixir drop from a Croaker in Edward's Challenge Dungeon.

I can sell it for 325,000 gil.....

But..... I only have like 3-4 items left to get out of his dungeon and I got this down to a science where my runs are 20-25 min. Meh, I'll just keep it and do the dungeon.

I need XP for Edward and Harley anyways, and I am very close to completing a Gold Tail which means I need to fight more snakes anyways.

But hey, at least the Ice Whip just dropped. That'll make some of the dungeon a LOT faster, as all those snakes are weak against ice, and so is the Flamehound boss. Edward's Muse Harp is wrecking face in there too, I've seen crits from him for 2,000 damage. lol.

I don't think I would have ever found myself typing that phrase... "Edward ... wrecking face" . lol. I suppose anything is possible, eh?

7. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Heh, he's pretty weak at the begginning so everyone drops him out of the party asap, but he can be quite useful when you use him the right way ^^

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well don't get me wrong, his damage is still incredibly subpar for a Level 32 character, unless I'm fighting something that's weak against Holy. He struggles to break the 400 mark, and nearly any mage with a bow can do that and they have their mage spells to compliment it.

But at least he's doing okay in this challenge dungeon. I predict his damage is still going to be very "meh" once he gets into the party in the last chapter. I don't know if Salve is going to ensure him a spot, especially when it uses 5 items with one use.

Now, if Salve used only ONE item to heal 5 people... well that would have made him a lot more useful. But it doesn't seem like that's the case, I'll need to test it more, but it looks like you use 5 items at once. Which is kinda "eh"....

9. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Oh? I never noticed the 5 items being used at once... Anyway, in the last chapter having 99 of all kind of potions isn't even hard, considering the amount of money you can obtain and the few items you can buy.

Now that I think of it, having him as a healer can be useful for.... No, I can't spoil that, unless you already know what I'm talking about (hint: optional superboss fight)

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'll do more testing to see if he really uses 5 per salve, but I noticed once that I thought I had 15 Hi-Potions, used Salve and I remember seeing I had 10 left, but I wasn't entirely sure, so I'll try it again here at some point.

EDIT: Yup, 5 per use with salve. Had 49 Potions, salved a potion and had 44 after.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yay! Edward's Tale is finally done. All items and Lv40 on both him and Harley AND a Gold Tail.

Now, for the last one....

I've done a little of it, got through the first dungeon twice. It's not too hard, but yet I think I'll get some levelups as I got a couple pieces of armor that makes fighting around on the moon's surface a bit easier and a couple fights give rather good XP (4k for 3 caterpillars, lol) and now I know how to fight what, it isn't so bad so I think I'll get like Lv40 or so before doing any more dungeon.

At least the first dungeon is easy-peasy lol. It's just... slow and time-consuming because they keep giving me lots of fights that aren't worth fighting. Tho I think I might just start throwing bio at everything and use cottages, now that I've built up some money to buy a few.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  12. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Golbez's CD? Both are fairly easy, monsters here can hurt but they don't pose such a threat, and the loot is great if I remember well.

So yeah, for the final tale you should be good now ^.^ (What was it again? Level 30 characters?)

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

All are Lv40 except Kain's Tale (Kain, Ceodore, Rosa, Cid who are all Lv50) and Golbez who will also be 50. And IIRC, Cecil joins at 40 but he's not much use until you get him cured from what I read.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

YAY!

Both of Golbez's dungeons are now done, just need to finish leveling him to 50 (he's 42 and a half now).

With the Defender Sword, Aegis Shield, and Diamond Armor, most of the enemies in that dungeon can hardly touch him (and I can always run from the few that are still annoying) and give 2-4k per fight and are easy fast fights.

Shouldn't take long.

Just wanna take a break because I probably put a good 6-8 hours into it today so... ya could use a break, lol.

That is assuming I don't get bored again between now and bedtime.

That "Mysterious Girl" in the final chapter is going to get a smackdown of epic proportions when I finally get to her, lol.

15. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Well, your characters are actually strong enough to take down a few of the moon bosses already...

And yes, Cecil joins at lvl 40, but his stats are ridiculously low until PLOT things happens.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, I read about that little plot thingie. Again I scan for "Lost Forevers" and that is DEFINITELY a lost-forever if you don't bring the right people to that fight, lol.

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So I completely wrecked the mysterious girl at Baron Castle, lol. It was hilarious. I just spammed Attack with everyone and I used 2-3 of Rosa's healing spells and won without anybody being in danger of dying, haha.

Saved all the Eidolons, got all the treasures and small tails, etc. Now I'm ready to start on the moon but meh, I've been playing it for several hours today so I'll take a break on that. Unless I get bored. lol.

EDIT: Hopefully I don't come to regret not leveling up near Kaipo (easy easy fights giving 1.5-3k per) I was gonna get Lv50 there with at least Golbez, but then I was like "eh, I'm doing rather well, it's probably ok to go on", lol.

EDIT2: Got bored again, lol. I roflstomped all my way to Subterane B9, and kicked the wind girl's butt. So far, haven't run into much of anything that's posed a threat to me whatsoever, lol.

EDIT3: Blink is such an overpowered spell when you know exactly who a boss is going to swing at, lol.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  18. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Well, now you basically won the game, unless you change characters during your run, or decide to run away from all battle; the xp given by random encounters is largely enough to keep your team strong enough ^^

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, I will be changing the group at various times.... my plan is basically this:

1). Use Kain/Edge/Golbez (and later, Cecil after he recovers) as the "main 3" front-line attackers.
    2). Sub out Rosa and Rydia (who I have in there now) for other people to get them levelups.

And yeah, to just keep going. I'm probably gonna go to at least the developer room before doing this, hoping for some easy 3k+ fights... 2k is OK until about Lv50 then it just starts getting too slow. If that doesn't work, I might start going for a partial party to increase XP gains.

That, and the Level Band v2 if I can get ahold of one should help nicely as well. Or even the v1... 2500xp is better than 2000.

And I don't foresee myself running out of money for potions or cottages, lol. I have almost a million gil and 99 of most of the items 'cept hi potions. The fights where I'm at now, my 3 guys just obliterate with physical attacks while Rosa and Rydia stand there and collect free XP. I could probably put the Lv20 dolls in there and they'd survive just fine (though I'd have to heal with potions entirely 'cept Kain's paltry heals).

20. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Bringing weak characters is pretty dangerous though, as not only you lose some attack power, but you also get easily killed members, even when in the back row (especially with the dolls), and waste a lot of xp with them dying right at the end of the fight...