Spooky Fear/Phobia Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyle, Nov 22, 2017.

?

What are you afraid of?

1. Heights/flying

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Closed space

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Bugs and/or spiders

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Other common animals (e.g. dogs, snakes)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Germs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The dark

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Social interactions

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  8. Other (remind me to add more choices!)

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Man I really should have thought of this like, a month ago for the holiday spirit.

What are you afraid off? Phobia is a weird thing. You realize the real danger is not really that close but your brain just kind of hard wires you into being spooped by things anyway. Last time I was trying to have a better understanding of arachnophobia from a friend who is a known sufferer but he kind of stopped functioning before I could get any useful information out of him. not that I'm interrogating him in any way

Personally I'm both claustrophobic and acrophobic (that's fear of closed space and heights respectively) with a fear of cockroaches on top, but other bugs are totally cool with me. These are some of the most common fears but I know there are some really weird phobias out there. Do you know Alfred Hitchcock was afraid of eggs?

Note: sooner or later people might start tossing pics around for the discussion, I kindly ask/request that any image that might relate to phobias to be spoiler'd.

MilkCalf likes this.
  2. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Not really phobias I don't think, but I have a good imagination and fear the dark. I fear things that are supernatural, especially skeletons or bony fingers. I sometimes think there's a skeleton under my bed just waiting to grab my leg. I also think of werewolves sometimes.

Tyle likes this.
  3. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

i am very afraid of need-
    WAIT A MINUTE
    why do you want to know my weakness??
    are you my nemesis in disguise? I WILL DEFEAT YOU

oh and social anxiety disorder (which i have) is sometimes called Social Phobia, so that might count too!

MilkCalf and Tyle like this.
  4. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

I have changed the title to broaden the discussion a little ;)

Yeah, since I was a kid sometimes I'd fear-imagine a skull popping up from my computer screen and that would be the scariest thing every (I thought). A TV commercial of Mars Attack which showed people being reduced to skeletons gave me a nightmare as well. Fortunately, now it's one of my favorite movies.

"They blew up the congress, AHAHAHA!"

MilkCalf likes this.
  5. Witch Cat

Witch Cat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself... and also falling." Einstien, 2019.

Yeah for some reason I have a massive fear of like, slipping which stems from a fear of falling (obviously). Whenever I have to walk over a wet surface or something I keep my feet extra firm because I'm just terrified of slipping even tho it wouldn't hurt me that much at all and I know that but it still doesn't help. Fears are weird.

6. Umbrilla

Umbrilla Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I fear falling so much... Like, after 5 stories and looking down I get the chills.

Yet people are doing this.

MilkCalf likes this.
  7. Katkill

Katkill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Arachnophobia. Spiders always freak me out, especially the big ones. It's not that bad in my case, I can just grab a book smash the f***er.

Iris Blanche and MilkCalf like this.
  8. Witch Cat

[​IMG]
    Look! You made him sad!

MilkCalf likes this.
  9. Katkill

Katkill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It was just self defense. Nothing personal. I'm sorry, Spiderman. Don't look at me like that bro, we're still cool.

MilkCalf and Witch Cat like this.
  10. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

Since my last spider talk with an arachnophobe didn't go so well, what makes you afraid of spiders? If it's for fast and unpredictable movements, will cockroaches do the trick? If it's a spider minus two legs will it still freak you out?

I'm asking cause I'm genuinely curious:rolleyes:

MilkCalf likes this.
  11. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Because people
    [​IMG]

MilkCalf likes this.
  12. Witch Cat

Why I fear spiders and other bugs in general is because of my perception of them being dirty and also the feeling of when they crawl on your skin is the worst and I can't help but feel that when I see one and also when they scuttle around like that it kinda activates the fear of them getting on me because it's like "oh no, is it gonna leap towards me?"

13. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

That's similar to me! What i worry about is them crawling on me and also accidentally/purposefully splatting them and getting spider guts on me, oh no!

Witch Cat, MilkCalf and Tyle like this.
  14. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

I have a horrible fear of Centipedes, maybe it's the fact they're basically unkillable, that they have more than one way to hurt, or simply two mouths on one body is one two many.

MilkCalf likes this.
  15. Stephano Jones

Stephano Jones Void-Bound Voyager

I hate heights. I always feel I'm about to fall off the edge. Although being on a skyscraper doesn't bother me. And I enjoy rollercoasters despite this. Otherwise I will freeze up a few feet. Especially when coupled with speed.

Isolation. I can handle being in a room alone. But just being the only person at home starts to send me into a panic.

The Dark itself not so much. Combined with being alone, near a wooded area, along an empty road, with some nearby rundown buildings, with creepy noises, and with no defense? Definitely. Apart from being alone, none of this things on their own scare me.

People sneaking into my room And touching my things. Especially the latter. I tend to become a paranoid wreck if I think there's even a 1% chance of that happening. They're touching MY things. MINE.

MilkCalf and Witch Cat like this.