1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Extremely Low Headphone Audio (Android)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alicelove, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Alicelove

Alicelove Yeah, You!

Samsung Galaxy s8
    Android v. 9
    Game v. 1.16 (possibly 1.15 when issue started, see below)
    New save file created on Android
    Spring, 1st year, day 12 (day before the first Egg Festival, when you get your pet)

Downloaded the game yesterday (4/3) & played it on and off all day. It played beautifully, no major issues, even when I switched between headphones & car audio and back (accidentally haha). I let it go into standby last night, which I'd also done a couple times throughout the day, along with saving and closing properly. When it went into standby, I had played through about 9am of day 12 (so, I'd already gotten my cat).

When I opened the game for the first time today, with headphones in, I noticed there didn't seem to be any sound. I was in a noisy place, so at first I thought I wasn't getting anything at all, but after moving to a quieter place, it seems it's actually just extremely soft. All audio (music, sfx, etc) sounds muted, as if it's being suppressed.

I tested my headphones, they work fine with other apps. I unplugged the headphones, the phone speaker plays the game audio normally. When I plug the headphones back in...way too quiet. It basically sounds the way it does when you have a bad headphone jack connection, and I'm pretty rough on my earbuds, so I couldn't rule that out at first. But after switching directly from a tab with Amazon music at full volume so loud it hurts, to Stardew sounding like it's a tick above mute, I think I can rule out hardware.

I have tried (with no success or change):
    -Restarting the phone several times
    -Changing in-game volume settings & restarting the game
    -Uninstalling my volume precision app & restarting
    -Removing the game from the Game Launcher
    -Muting & unmuting the Game Launcher
    -Muting & unmuting the phone
    -Uninstalling & reinstalling the game
    -Starting from a loaded save instead of the quicksave (don't even know why I tried this, the problem also affects the intro)

One of the most bizarre things I noticed is at least twice, the sound jumped to full volume for a split second as I unplugged the headphones, while they only had partial contact. I couldn't get it to do it consistently, though.

I don't know whether the app updated overnight. I do have auto-update on, but my phone can be slow about it, and I don't know what time the 4/4 update dropped (I'm in California, opened the game around noon PST). I didn't discover the update until I uninstalled & reinstalled today. I can definitively say the update didn't fix it, though.

I'm happy to update with any details I didn't think to include here, just ask. Any help is appreciated!

Update: False alarm. It was a hardware issue after all. I've apparently got some kind of connection issue that is causing audio disturbances only when the L/R output is equally balanced. One tiny tick to one side or the other fixes it. I assume it was more noticeable with Stardew because of its particular sound configuration? Anyway, sorry, hope I didn't waste anyone's time.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019