1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Extremely Low FPS

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by nathan00107, Dec 6, 2013.

?

What is the amount of lag you guys get?

1. None

14 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Noticeable

55 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Really bad

97 vote(s)
    49.7%
  4. Unplayable

49 vote(s)
    25.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dozi

Dozi Void-Bound Voyager

Well, I was having this same issue and tried every "fix" listed here. None worked. I thought that the culprit might be Steam, so I downloaded the cracked version. Sure enough, smooth FPS. Sometimes it will drop slightly during intense fighting during rain, but it's never unplayable like before. I bought this game almost a year ago, so I have no moral qualms about resorting to these measures. After all, its for SCIENCE!

2. Xendhaius

Xendhaius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My FPS only noticeably decreases when in towns and while in those Apex jump puzzle facilities.

Evan's Mom likes this.
  3. Xilo

Xilo Subatomic Cosmonaut

we need like a Master FPS fixer thread. so we dont have repeat fixes all over the place.

4. Kobting

Kobting Space Penguin Leader

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  5. Lente

Lente Aquatic Astronaut

1. Close your game and quit Steam.
    2. Go to steam folder (for example: C:\Program Files\steam) and set no compatibility mod on your Steam.exe in options (if you having any difficulties with this step - try to pick steam.exe up first by pressing on it with your left mouse button)
    * If you can't change compability mod on step 2 - folow next steps. (if you can
    change compability mod - proceed to step 7)
    3. Press windows "start" button, find and open "run" window (or just simple press button with windows logo on your keyboard+R) and type "regedit"
    4. Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers and delete any entry with path to steam, if there is no recordings here - proceed to the next step.
    5. Repeat step 5 with: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    6. Repeat step 2.
    7. Launch Steam and play Starbound.

If someone could explain Step 2 for me i would be happy, it makes no sense at all to me...

6. Nossalamis

Nossalamis Space Hobo

Right click, properties, compatibility. I would set up a shortcut on your desktop and rename it "steam compat check" essentially making it "slightly" more optimized or less for your system.

7. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

See, I killed that compatibility stuff out of regedit a while back, but it all just came back after a bit, I guess.. Went and killed it all again and now I'm running smooth as butter, even on my 2.20ghz 4gb ram intel integrated 4 year old laptop.. Will repost/edit if this changes, but jeez.. That plus todays patch, running in normal non-openGL mode, was the most lagless Starbound experience I've had to date :O Stunned for the moment..

Is this something that can be fixed without having to do it over and over, through Steam or Chucklefish??

Besides running buttery smooth for the moment, I bet I'd still bog down around NPCs or dungeons, and previously my game cried blood when I fought the first boss (all the particles/light/enemies flowing around :p).. Desperately awaiting graphical dehancement options (moving/multilayer backgrounds, particles, flickering light/light quality, maybe even some texture degrades, cull "useless" NPC counts (non-quest, non-shop NPCs), weather quality reduction)

I'll say it again and again, amazing work, all of you, forum folks and devs all-together! Lets keep it up til everyone is happy :)

Evan's Mom likes this.
  8. Nossalamis

Nossalamis Space Hobo

More than likely every time a new patch comes out it checks and sees if anything is missing, and then inserts it again.

9. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

Id imagine all these graphic options will be added in Stage 2 of the Beta when the optimization occurs.

10. LWSmuggler

LWSmuggler Void-Bound Voyager

There is a way to optimize your Starbound performance. Idk if it will work for you guys but it worked for meh.
    1. You need to download a free program called Notepad++
    go to C:\Program FIles x86 [or just Program Files, it changes depending on your pc]\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\
    2. There will be a file called starbound.config. Right-click it and select edit with notepad++
    3. Set the maxFrameskip to 10
    4. Set vsync to off [if you have it already off, leave it like that]
    5. Save the file and exit
    6. [Optional] Do NOT make a shortcut of starbound_opengl to your desktop! That slows down your game!
    7. [Optional] Use Razer Game Booster at your own risk. It increases fps but decreases rendering capabilities and may set your Steam to compatibility mode, which may hurt performance.
    All of this worked for me, and Idk if it's gonna work for yew but I won't accept any insults saying ''Screw you it doesn't work'', or ''Hey you suck'', ok?
    Have a nice day, sir.

11. botulinumGlacius

botulinumGlacius Void-Bound Voyager

Windows 8.1 causes this. It was running perfectly before I installed it. At all costs, for those without it, avoid windows 8.1.

12. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

I had fairly bad FPS on my old laptop but this one's a lot better and I don't lag whatsoever.

13. Kitfox942

Kitfox942 Void-Bound Voyager

I have like 5fps most of the time. My specs are awful, I know.
    AMD C-50 Dual Core (each core only running at 1Ghz)
    3Gb RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6250 Integrated Graphics.

Even though my specs are awful, my laptop can still play games like Skyrim with decents FPS. I always play the OpenGL version but that makes no difference. Working on getting a new computer anyways. I cant wait for the whole game to be finished!

14. ChocolateThunder3124

ChocolateThunder3124 Orbital Explorer

those specs aren't that good, but they should run it. i have an APU that's prossessor runs at 2.00GHz and GPU at around 500GHz-Overclocked to 700GHz.. and i run it decently-ish... not really... but enough to play.

15. Burly_Jim

Burly_Jim Void-Bound Voyager

I get some lag when I use the Dash repeatedly, but the game just freezes me in midair until it loads the next bits of the planet.

16. Not sure why this was necroed...

17. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Thats normal,ya know?

The game cant load properly when you are going at such speeds,so it needs to stop and render everything.

Be gald,cause we are geting a major performance update soon!:party:

18. Burly_Jim

Burly_Jim Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know, I just saw it on the list and came on in. Uninvited, like that one guy in the tree outside my bedroom.

Maxwell Demonic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.