1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Exposure: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LeopoldDon, Feb 25, 2012.

?

How much exposure should Starbound get at this time? (Feb. 25, 2012; Mid-Development)

1. Gradually let the masses know.

47.6%
  2. People need to know about this, NOW!

25.4%
  3. Let's keep it quiet, until near release.

27.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

You make a very good point about the mixed effects of early popularity, and it really DOES depend on the team doing the game. As you say, some crack under the pressure, and others thrive under it. It's definitely about finding a balance, about getting enough information out there to create the demand for the game when it's released, but at the same time, making sure that it doesn't take away from what's being done. From what I can tell, Starbound is actually quite a ways along in terms of development. The team has said they've already been doing a great deal of testing behind the scenes. If you put two and two together, you can see that Starbound is likely reaching the point where its ready to be advertised. Also, the team has said they plan to continue development for this for YEARS. I hope they never lose that fire for Starbound, because it has so much potential!

2. Attribule

Attribule Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd say gradual exposure is fine.

The thing about too much too soon is the wait time. If a lot of hype was building for Starbound right now for example, it would actually die off a lot before release as there isn't much to keep that hype at the moment. Building more hype is best done when you have more to show, or play in some cases, but it should be gradual for now.

Things seem to be going fairly well so far.

3. PuppyVolcano

PuppyVolcano Subatomic Cosmonaut

but this game sound so amazing I just want everyone to know, to scream from the rooftops about the impending awesome.

4. Kelp

Kelp Big Damn Hero

You brought up a good point, although I am not that worried. Indie games pretty much feed on community activity nowadays. I'm pretty sure at least one of the staff have a day job, they could probably work less if they knew that the game would sell well on release.

I will certainly tell all my friends about this game... but the advertisements and media should be kept at a minimal level for now. A lot of the content is likely still changing and the masses really would be annoyed if they bought a completely different game. So it's fine for the community to grow, but don't feed them too much until the release date is closer.

5. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

I think we should wait for now. When some actual gameplay is shown, we might start letting people know. As things are now, we have nothing to show people except for a few screenshots, that won't really help this game and it will be forgotten quickly. We all know that this may be the indie game of the century, but many people can't understand that without some gameplay-videos.
    This has to be perfectly timed! I really hope Devs will work this out.

6. Polar !

Polar ! Pangalactic Porcupine

The more people know, the better.
    Look at minecraft, and you'll get it :p
    But we can't buy it yet so ...
    But still people will crave the game the more they hear about ingame stuff without seeing videos...I am

7. Keirndmo

Keirndmo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Starbound and it's exposure will probably be the same like in Minecraft or Terraria. Beta comes out and people start finding it and the community starts flooding with new people.
    Once gameplay comes more people will probably be coming in.
    But if I get the beta (Highly unlikely.)
    I don't really know how to use fraps so I'll just be releasing little teaser pics if I get it.

8. NoSoul

NoSoul Void-Bound Voyager

when game will be released to public it will find it's audience anyway.
    people will spread the word.

9. xXSunSlayerXx

xXSunSlayerXx Cosmic Narwhal

this question is difficult to answer. if less people know about it, the connection between the devs and the community is better, the discussions according suggestions or upcoming features are more mature and sensible, etc.
    but the more people know about it, the more money for the devs, and wish them to make much money with this game...

i'd say keep it low, and let the popularity come as soon as it's released.

10. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

I don't think the game needs exposure right now, we have a pretty reasonably sized community for a game that won't be out for another few months, if we get masses more people right now, its just going to be a heavier strain on the developers because more people means you get that small minority that pressures the developers to release, I mean, look at terraria, it was pressured into early release.

It also means more people constantly pressuring them about beta, flooding the forums with spam posts assuming that "Community activeness" means post count.

We have a pretty tight community right now, I know I get on with everyone in it, I don't think we need more fans right now, small doses are fine, but not a whole community coming (aka; notch tweeting about it and millions of minecraft fans flooding in).

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.