Explored planets' history on the Space Ship

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by BadShaddy, Dec 15, 2013.

1. BadShaddy

BadShaddy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yesterday I was venturing in the Beta Sector and after some digging here and there to get the resources for the robot boss I remembered a very important thing: I didn't have the metalwork station with me, I left it on my "homebase" planet.
    You probably are wondering what's the problem in this, well.. I forgot to set my homebase planet as home and I didn't remember its coordinates.
    Since I have all my stuff on that planet I started thinking about how to get back on that planet and I noticed the Ship navigation system "remembers" the route you did until that moment and Starbound\universe keep all the planets' data by naming the files with the coordinates and number of the planet, so after a couple of trial and error I managed to return on my homebase.

All this introduction to say what? Very simple: why the space ship can't save a sort of history of the explored planets?
    Or a sort of favorite list?
    I mean it would be useful if we want to have multiple base planets without writing everytime the coordinates and I think a space ship should have a computer capable of doing it, am I right?

That's all ^^

2. SpyBlock007

SpyBlock007 Void-Bound Voyager

yes i agree thats is a good content in the further updates thats a nice idea

3. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

Hnng. I would simply drool over a bookmark system. I have quite the list of coordinates in a text file (surprisingly you can copy/paste inside the coordinate text box), it would certainly make it easier to do it in-game.

+1.

SpyBlock007 likes this.
  4. Aquillion

Aquillion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It'd be neat if we could annotate them.

Although you know what would be really cool? An entire Captain's Log that basically summarizes your story, automatically. Something like this:

Stardate 3523.06: Reached orbit around a new planet, Gypsion X, for the first time.
    Stardate 3523.07: Beamed down to Gypsion X.
    Stardate 3523.08: Encountered a new species on Gypsion X. Named it the Vibrobird.
    Stardate 3523.11: Returned from Gypsion X with 12 newly discovered items and many other things, including 100 units of dirt.

Etc, etc. It could auto-generate entries for many important events. (Truthfully, generating a log of every discovered species and item and what you know about them would be very nice. Sort of an internal, automatic version of the wiki, but limited to what you already know. Expanding it could be a major goal for players.)

ApisRex likes this.
  5. G.Xyon

G.Xyon Space Kumquat

That doesn't sound bad at all! Maybe it could collect information about all the items you aquired like you mentioned, like crafting blocks and given an optional list of specific items you looted (such as weapon if you're raiding a dungeon; it could get cluttered) by hovering over the "# newly discovered items" or some of the sort.

I can't help but feel hilarious death logs ensue.

Stardate 3523: Returned to ship. Got hit in the groin too hard.

SpyBlock007 likes this.
  6. Tilldadadada

Tilldadadada Astral Cartographer

I had the same Idea, a captains log would be awesome, or you could write your own notes (E.G species X village, Trader, aseroids, biomes etc)

SpyBlock007 likes this.
  7. MetalOvercoat

MetalOvercoat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, my pc gets too much lag when trying to do it :rofl:
    i soo poor that im writing it on papers aside my cheats and drawings...

And no im no this guy
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8463/8356931647_102c6384cd_k.jpg Made this picture a link because jeez I don't wanna see that that big. - Sledra

how i can resise this thing ;A;!!!??

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    G.Xyon likes this.
  8. SpyBlock007

SpyBlock007 Void-Bound Voyager

yeah thats sound great

9. Phail Munsta

Phail Munsta Space Hobo

I'm opting for a button similar to the "Set Home" one, but maybe that says "Mark as Explored". That way once you've exhausted a planet or what have you it places something like a small 'x" on it. In addition to that, another button with "Mark as Favorite" on it that allows you to bookmark a planet. Then they could add an alternate tab button like the Sectors that lists your favorites, so all you have to do is click on them to bring up that planet's picture. The "Mark as Explored" button would be more of a convenience in case you you somehow stumble back into a solar system while in the navigation window. They could even add a third button labeled "Mark as Undesirable" that could be applied to planets as a reminder that you don't want to land on those again or at all.

They're small features all-in-all, but they'd be really useful in keeping track of where you've been and where you're going. The only qualm I see is that you'd end up with a few LONG text files somewhere keeping track of all of your marked planets.

Imagine fanning out over a sector, traveling from solar system to solar system to the point that a large portion of your sector is dotted with solar systems that show how many marks they have whenever you hover over them.

Edit: While I feel a captain's log would be an interestingly immersing and possibly hilarious game feature, it feels like being able to mark planets would be a stronger mechanic to have in place that could integrate into the navigation window seamlessly.

Tilldadadada likes this.
  10. Darkful

Darkful Tentacle Wrangler

+1 :up:

Hope there will be a Travel Log or something. And the ability to tag planets with notes and stuff :D

Phail Munsta likes this.