1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Exploration Orientation

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zosimus, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iliekmudkips

iliekmudkips Big Damn Hero

well yeah but im curious if its a key feature of the game or not

2. Oath

Oath Subatomic Cosmonaut

I hope digging plays a balanced part of everything. Personally, although I enjoyed it in Terraria, I wouldn't mind Starbound stepping away from it a bit. Not entirely. Just a little bit. It made a lot of sense in Terraria to be digging and diving into chasms with my fingers crossed I wasn't about to end up a red smear and a tumbling gravestone. With Starbound on the other hand I want to be able to see a lot on the surface. To be able to breathe the wide open alien air and still feel like I have a lot to see and experience.

I hope there's some kind of warning when we get close to the center. Whether it's visually or through the interface. I don't know how much I'd appreciate spontaneous meltage o_O

YoungUnicorn likes this.
  3. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

I've been wondering the same thing.

If I remember right there aren't ores to mine, though you can still mine some sort of stuff.
    It sounds like it's all about researching things and doing quests, hopping from planet to planet and doing whatever you want with them.

4. Nymz

Nymz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Agreed, as much as I love digging and the way Terraria handled it, I would like to go up more in Starbound. Maybe an entire Biome in the clouds, or a type of gas near the atmosphere that's needed for crafting, etc.

5. BenevolentLlama57

BenevolentLlama57 Space Hobo

i think this game should be ground level and terraria was underground so the next game should be an aerial based one

6. Giant Squid

Giant Squid Zero Gravity Genie

I personally enjoy underground exploration, and I know it will be existent in Starbound. The question is how extensive will it be? Mechanically, Terraria wasn't very complex. Pickaxe digs, better pickaxe digs through harder materials. The exploration and unknown is what makes it fun, and since Starbound has been confirmed to have pickaxes, there should be plenty of digging to be had.

I'm definitely curious about what sort of things will be lurking underground. I'm sure it wont be planets with solid blocks from top to bottom.

7. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

Hi folkes!I think the mechs would be very cool as they probably will dig you huge amounts of land out quickly meaning that your massive houses/creations could be completed faster and more efficiently instead of using the pickaxe digging block by block.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.