Modding Help Expanded farmland Mining farm

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Znelson73, Oct 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Znelson73

Znelson73 Intergalactic Tourist

This is my first attempt at a map edit mod. I took the standard mining farm and removed the hill on the right side and trimmed down the hill on the left. I changed the rivers first bend to give more space on one side of the river (for those who like making decorative paths) since i found the default way too small. I changed the cliffs below the house slightly to expanding the indentures enough to place a building or two.

Overall the purpose of this edit was to increase the amount of usable farmland without changing the theme of the map much. I would appreciate any feedback and if any map makers would mind taking a look at it.

Edit. I uploaded version 0.2 of the map edit. It appears to be 100% functional. Please let me know if anyone finds any mistakes. Let me know if you think the map is ready for a official release.

Edit2. I uploaded version 0.3 of the map edit, i added some debris to areas where the hills were (so it didn't look as empty in game) trimmed the grass patches, fixed where there wasn't shadows in a few areas. overall just minor edits.

Edit 3, I uploaded version 0.4 of the map edit, fixing the visual errors, and the log/grass on top of water. Shadows reworked slightly. ( released 0.4.1, i missed a single log on the lower lake. fixed in file but not in screenshot)

Edit 4. I uploaded version 0.5 of the map edit. The grass/logs on the water should be removed. i edited the cliffs once more, i believe i fixed the dark shadow on the cliff, and the bushes on the side of the cliff should be gone now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    • Cerebro

Cerebro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really like it. In fact, I'm searching for this kind of edit as I prefer just some slight subtle changes and most modded maps go to far for my taste. Apart from those "bugs" you mentioned, I would change the left hill a bit, as this nearly perfect rectangle looks too artificial for my taste. Maybe switch it back to its original form an move the river and bridge a bit. Also I'd remove the fence on the right side where the other hill has been. It doesn't serve any purpose now and therefor looks a bit out of place.

Apart from that, it's exactly the map I'm looking for. Would like to use it in my upcomming play, if you plan to "perfect" it. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
      • Znelson73

Well I was hoping veteran map makers could give me some insight. I was mainly doing this to learn about modding maps. I'll keep working and see if I can release a update with the problems fixed in a day or so.

I'll work on adjusting the river and redo the hill to make it look less artifical.

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

Not a vet, but:

For those pesky bushes - You need to add the NoSpawn property to the Back Layer tile. Common Tile Properties/Actions listed here.

Invisible walls - You'll need to check the Building Layer of each affected tile and make sure it's empty.

You can copy & paste groups of tiles that you know are error-free to make this go quicker.

The pinned map-editing thread has nearly all the answers/resources you'll need. You'll usually get much better answers than mine, too :) .

• Znelson73

I released a new version of the map. I removed the fence, changed the left cliff slightly to look more natural, moved the lower pond slightly, and i moved the river over alittle to give more area on the left side. I moved the stairs over a few spaces to fit more with the change of the hill and river.

• Cerebro

Good update. I think all changes are for the better while not overdoing it. Will definately try it out for my next farm. One tiny little thing: As you already cut the patch of grass in the south, I think it's better to remove it completely - but that's just my personal preference.

I think I'll try it out this weekend. If I encounter any invisble walls or other glitches, I'll let you know.

• Znelson73

I updated to 0.3, just minor edits, mainly the grass patch and adding debris. but i look forward to your feedback.

• Cerebro

So, here's my nitpicking. ;- )

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

• Znelson73

Alrighty, thanks for the feedback :) the mistakes should be fixed in the newest update. Let me know if you find anything else that looks out of place, i always appreciate any feedback.

• Cerebro

Thanks for the update. I took another look. Some thinks are fixed, but others are not. I also found some new stuff. Feedback time:

1. Some bushes etc. still clip into the pond

1.png

2. Those two bushes should be removed

2.png

3. Still a weird dark shadow on the grass. Look at blue rectangle for how it should look

3.png

4. Should be obvious ^^

4.png

5. No error in on itself, but think the changed cliff by the farm house looks odd. I would prefer the vanilla version - the change doesn't provide much in my opinion. Picture on the right is the unchanged left stairs, which look more natural to me

5-1.png 5-2.png

6. More bushes that clip into the water

6.png

7. The cut is to harsh - there should be some kind of blend. Look at the blue rectange for how it should look.

7.png

• Znelson73

Alright I sent out another update. I don't think i packed the last one (0.4) right since some of the errors should have been resolved but weren't. But i tested 0.5 in a new game, and everything looks to be updated correctly.

• Cerebro

Perhaps the error was on my part, too, because I did only replace the files in 'Stardew Valley\Content\Maps' but not in 'Stardew Valley\Content'. I also did not start a new game so the bush-problem wouldn't update. However, I made sure that's not a problem anymore by replacing all files and starting a new game. Seem to be just some minor cliff and shadow things left, that could be improved - my nitpicking eye didn't catch anything else. :)

1. The shadow on the ground is not correct. Also, I think the cliff would look better with another tile. Look at the second picture for example.

1.png 2.png

2. Another shadow thing. They don't look right for me. I checked the vanilla map and the shadows are less prominent there (check the second pic.)

3.png 4.png