OOC Excurgis

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by demensia, Jul 19, 2013.

1. demensia

demensia Subatomic Cosmonaut

Welcome...... Dear child.......
    Edit: wow, way to go forums for ruining my ASCII

The man raised his eyebrows at you. "Oh ho ho! A newcomer I see, fresh off the ship? Wonderful, You won't last long here, and we have no qualms about feasting off your flesh." He cackles at you with his toothy grin and had your chains been released then, perhaps that toothy grin would be toothy no more. "You're going to die here, and there's no going back, We've had a lot of you newcomers recently, I wonder what the judges have been calling it this year, rehabilitation? Ah hah hah, perhaps something much sweeter, I never really understood them anyway."

He walked through an open building, stone insets with mud clinging to the walls, the the iron lanterns were made of dark black as if they exhumed the entire continents shadow filled heart to you with it's eerie glow. The man who you were talking to before sat down in a mahogany chair, dark red cushions sat upon a rickety chair for you, A testament to the your status among this place.

"Well then dear misguided child, for that is what you are to us, merely a child, perhaps it is time for you to learn our rules, we will be unlocking your chains, but I'd advise you to not attempt anything, you'll only die quicker."

Once your chains had been released a scroll was handed to you, written on it with almost perfect precision was every rule to be followed.
    *-*-*-*-*​
    .-. __ .----------------------------------------------------------.__ .-.
    ( )__( Rules (__( )
    '-' `----------------------------------------------------------` '-'
    \| -It should be noted, that this roleplay is |/
    || Intended to be at a fairly high level of skill ||
    || as far as roleplaying is concerned. I would ||
    || I would prefer to see at least two paragraphs. ||
    || -Keep swearing at a bare minimum, I don't like ||
    || Seeing every sixth word being a swear word. ||
    || -Stay OOC in the OOC and IC in the IC, I broke ||
    || this rule, only so I could give you a break from ||
    || the traditional OOC, don't expect it to happen ||
    || anytime after this post, though, if you do this ||
    || with your CS, I would totally be cool with that. ||
    || -As far as this roleplay goes my word is law, if I ||
    || don't like it, and I say change it, that means ||
    || you change it, we can discuss after. I like cake ||
    || -Read the rules, also, Do not Godmod, powerplay, ||
    || Autohit, and dodge of the infinite quality, You ||
    || have been a prisoner for a long time, you're ||
    || weak, underfed, and generally useless, at least ||
    || at the beginning you are. ||
    || -Don't Metagame, I will probably throw too many ||
    || Many suprises anyway, but still. ||
    || -Have fun and be fearful, I can and will murder ||
    || characters for being silly, but you can always ||
    /| remake. |\
    .-. __ .---------------------------------------------------------.__ .-.
    ( )__( (__( )
    '-' `---------------------------------------------------------` '-'

"Well at least you can read, that's far better then most of the riff raff that appears on our doorstep." The man chuckled breifly, and you could see the lines on his face attempting to tear away from him. A door on the side opened as an elderly man walked out holding a sealed document. "Ah, this must be your papers."

Character’s full name:
    Reason or meaning of name:
    Character’s nickname:
    Reason for nickname:
    Birth date:
    Weight:
    Height:
    Body build:
    Eye color:
    Skin tone:
    Distinguishing marks:
    Predominant features:
    Hair color:
    Hairstyle:
    Physical disabilities:
    Good personality traits:
    Bad personality traits:
    What single event would most throw this character’s life into complete turmoil?
    Priorities:
    Life philosophy:
    Greatest strength:
    Greatest vulnerability or weakness:
    Mannerisms:
    Peculiarities:
    Background(your character's history):

"Well then, the next door on your left, exile awaits."

Without going to deep into the story ahead of time, this is a semi-realistic dark medieval fantasy roleplay where you are an exile from your home continent, exiled to Excurgis, a cruel and abandoned death trap, you were unaware this is what the place was, as the courts had explained it in a much lighter shade. In any case, you are here, and you are here to survive the careless onslaughts of [secret] and [secret], and of course if you make it through that then perhaps you can explore the world, or perhaps I have another secret thing.
    Don't be afraid of all my secrets, I want to reduce the chance of metagaming to a bear minimum.

2. demensia

Noone is interested in this? Noone at all? I need roughly four players to get this thing started.

/probablyshamelessbump.

3. Ikbenbeter

Ikbenbeter Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the fact that people have to fill in 8 million questions for their character is putting some people off. It also doesn't help that the topic is quite confusing. Putting the rules in a weird ASCII scroll probably doesn't help either :/

4. demensia

8 million questions was to avoid minute characters with one liner posts. It also helps me establish a few twists for each character, and if you actually look, it's not that many questions, it's mostly just appeareance name and history with some weaknesses and stuff.

You are right about the ascii, the topic isn't confusing ._.'

you looking to join?

5. ehhhh you lost me at " semi-realistic " and " dark " im all for horror based stuff..but, I dont think its really that appealing. I dont mean any offense.

6. demensia

Dark does not mean horror. Dark fantasy is where the fantasy is if you think corruption, crime, severe poverty, bandits, anarchy, apocalyptic-like worlds. that sort of thing. I'm fairly sure this was a failure so I'm developing a simplified game system rp. (because if noone wants to do a cs this sized, god help them if they tried to do my original rpg cs)
    I guess the intention with this was to make a very grim version of typical fantasy.

7. the other problem is what my character looks like ...
    [​IMG]

8. demensia

She could kill someone in a hug. But yes I see your point.
    doesn't matter as I said I'm building an oversimplified rpg rp, and her boobs will fit right in. I mean she will fit right in.

9. Cool, um I usually play her as a shy, but magically inclined witch. She hides her powers in fear of being put on trial... If that makes sense

10. El Barto 227

El Barto 227 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whee, dark medieval fantasy!
    A few questions:
    Magic?
    How will gettingweapons etc work? (Are we allowed to start with a weapon? limitations? I was planning for my char to have some gear that he used before arriving on Excurgis. Perhaps he'd have to steal it back somehow?)
    What is the world like?
    what is the year, and what is the calendar system like? (for birth date)
    And of course, i'm assuming we have to have commited a crime worthy of an almost death-sentence.

11. Catoosie

Catoosie Heliosphere

The character sheet isn't really that intimidating, because most of those things are just combined into less questions in other sheets.
    Anyway after reading this it seems okay.... mmmight join maybe.

I think the thing that intimidated me the first time I read it was the rule saying you preferred a minimum of two paragraphs per post, and it would be a high skill level roleplay. :unsure:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  12. couple things I can say real quick

one, encouraging lengthy posts is one thing but requiring them is another thing entirely

two, ascii is weird and bad :zzz:

three, the idea behind metagaming is that it only is metagaming if the players can't be trusted to not metagame: keeping secrets from the players that might screw with their heads...idk

13. El Barto 227

I'm agreeing with Mercenary Lord: You can keep some stuff secret, but make sure we have enough to react to events around us. for example, the year would be useful for determining our birth date etc, and we can't write lengthy posts without knowing a bit about our surroundings

14. PixelNinja

PixelNinja Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea. Only problem I have is that some of the things on the App dont really seem nessecary....like a reason for a full name, nickname, reason for said nickname. Things like that. Maybe just make a few things on it optional?

15. El Barto 227

Yeah, having a reason for the person's real name seems a bit strange. Also, you don't need every single detail about their life.
    Here's an example of how you could compact the CS a bit to make it more manageable, but still relay the same info.
    Name:
    Nickname: (optional)
    Reason for nickname: (Also optional)
    Height:
    Body build: Weight and height might fall under this category
    Eye color:
    Skin tone:
    Distinguishing marks:
    Predominant features:
    Hair color and style:
    Good personality traits:
    Bad personality traits:
    What single event would most throw this character’s life into complete turmoil? Not sure why this is needed..., unless you plan to do these things to us all.
    Life philosophy: could be described under a "personality" section
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Mannerisms and pecularities:
    Background(your character's history):

so, just a silly and rushed example sheet using this format (I can make better CS's than this, don't worry!):

Name: Robert
    Nickname: Bob
    Reason for nickname: Easier to say
    Weight: 74kg
    Height: 175cm
    Body build: medium build
    Eye color: brown
    Skin tone: cream
    Distinguishing marks: a big mole on his chin
    Predominant features: high cheekbones, large nose
    Hair color and style: moppy, short brown hair
    Good personality traits: Courageous, caring
    Bad personality traits: Pessimistic and a bit selfish
    What single event would most throw this character’s life into complete turmoil? being hit in the face by a cake
    Life philosophy: Bob has no time to ponder philosophy
    Strengths: quite strong
    Weaknesses: missing his left leg
    Mannerisms and pecularities: Has a nervous tic and an english accent
    Background(your character's history): bob was fat, now he isn't. He hopes that he won't ever be fat again, so he got sent to a place without sweets: Excurgis

So, that sheet was ridiculous, but it conveyed the same amount of info the longer one would.

16. Black ★ Rock Shooter

Black ★ Rock Shooter Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Sounds interesting, might join.