Evolution of monsters

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Azazel, Oct 13, 2012.

1. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

I hope the community never gets together to create a game exactly the way they want it.
    It would take 10 years just to program, would be hard as hell to play, and would just have
    too much content. It would be like playing a game where it is based in the google search engine.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  2. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

This is so true. This is why I have mentioned a few times that we need to keep suggestions simple. If it is too complicated, the Devs are likely to disregard the idea because it is too difficult or time consuming to code. Anything that you suspect would revolutionize the gameplay would probably be better suited to being in a different game of it's own (like Pokemon, perhaps?).
    The monsters will gradually get stronger due to the current system anyways-- Think of it like Final Fantasy games. You meet a basic Flan monster early on. Later, you may find a pallet-swapped version that is stronger and slightly different. This continues throughout the games. The same thing will happen in Starbound, since procedural generation will make new monsters in each new world. That is to say, the walking dinosaur thing you saw in the last world might be found again in some other world down the line, only it could be a new color and have higher stats because it is a higher level world. In other words, you could say that "evolution" will already be in the game, so why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

3. Azazel

Azazel Void-Bound Voyager

Its a suggestion...
    Im not saying it will be implemented am I? Jeez.

4. Wolfie

Wolfie Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds sweet, it'd be cool even if it was a sprite only thing... (although then it would be pointless) but heck, it would be awesome to have lizards become dinosaurs if they needed to

5. Azazel

Thanks, I dont think it will because of the time it would take.

6. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Sounds good. What about evolution throught interspecies and such?
    Nothin a bit of this cant fix...
    Uh oh....gif

7. Azazel

Idk really.

BrutorDragon likes this.
  8. Wolfie

Wolfie Void-Bound Voyager

Indeed, but this is exactly why I shall continue to support a modding GUI, or a modding tool of some sort later on, even if it is a community created thing.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  9. Azazel

Yeah, would be cool for a mod.

10. DeadlyLuvdisc

Supposedly the Dev team has mentioned combining monsters that you've captured. It would probably just create a monster with a random mix of the two parent monster's traits. While I don't think the Dev team will go out of their way to implement evolving creatures, I can definitely see the potential for a fun mod here. Consider that there has supposedly been an announcement that you can bring the pets with you, and that they can help you fight. Can anyone say PokeStarbound?

EDIT: Also, I'm sorry if I came off harsh before. I didn't mean to knock the idea, just was agreeing that there are a lot of ideas on this forum that are very complicated and would draw focus away from the core gameplay.

11. Azazel

No not PokeStarbound cause it isn't even based on Pokemon.

§hifter likes this.
  12. DeadlyLuvdisc

I say "PokeStarbound" because the mod would probably refocus gameplay on the captured critters and training them to fight with/for you. The Devs have mentioned bringing multiple pets with you, mixing or breeding them together, and training them to be stronger as they get more kills. If you spend most of your time evolving/training/breeding critters, then it seems appropriate. I was also thinking of a digimon or monster rancher themed name, but it wasn't as easy as simply "PokeStarbound".

13. Azazel

Really... I didnt say they would get captured, or trained, I said mobs would evolve, so that doesnt relate to the idea.

14. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Making a game like that would not be possible. There are simply too many contradicting ideas.

Also, i think i can recall one of the devs saying that they might not use a whole suggestion, but if it has an idea that hooks them up, they will use it. So for example they might implement this idea only revised. Or only use part of this idea to create something else entirely.

Also, as far as i understand, this evolution is just about that. There will be random monsters of course, but there will also be a rather large group of premade monsters as well. So evolution would make those monsters not simply tougher, but would change their appearance and skills depending on the environment.

PokeStarbound? Just because of the evolution idea? First of all the kind of evolution proposed here is NOTHING like pokemon. Secondly, pokemon wasn't the first place or game where evolution appeared. If he would suggest pokemon outfits+capturing, raising and caring for monsters which you would use in battle then it would be PokeStarbound.
    Also, i don't think this would draw people away from core gameplay. Sure, i agree with you that there really are such ideas, but i don't think this is one of them.
    Again, did you even read the main post? It isn't that kind of evolution. You don't evolve your critters. This thread talks about the idea that the same creatures could have different looks and powers depending on their environment. The evolution he is talking about here is the natural adaption of creatures to their environment. For example, The Bad Moon could become the Glacial Crescent on ice planets, or The Infernal Half-moon on fire planets. On high threat-level planets, you could meet more advanced evolutionary stages of the same creatures. For example the same Bad Moon would become the Crescent Devil on higher threat level planets and the Full Death on highest threat level planets. So there is no talk about training creatures. Only about creatures that not only change their stats as they advance, but changing their appearance and skills as well.

Dragrath, Azazel and Ferty7 like this.
  15. DeadlyLuvdisc

I suppose that does make more sense to me when it is rephrased that way. Poptops, for example, being a unique mob, would need a separate mechanism for scaling with the difficulty class of new worlds. With this in mind, I don't think it would be a distracting game feature at all.
    When I read it, I was thinking from the perspective that the critters you've captured would change if you brought them with you into a new environment for a certain length of time or under other specific conditions. I made that assumption because I don't really connect mobs that spawn with being able to travel between locations, or being able to "change" or "gain" new attributes. They just sorta pop into existence and die shortly after when you kill them. It is a game-mechanics perspective-- Only mobs you take with you can ever experience other biomes or develop new traits. If you were to release a pet, it would likely "evaporate", Pokemon style, so it might be a pain to code for it being able to change spawns in the world or biome that you release it into.
    As for why I said "PokeStarbound" (I don't understand why that was so objectionable), it's because capturing, training, and battling multiple pets that you can take with you is something that was already announced or alluded to by the Devs (I may be mistaken, I can't find where it was I read that). After that, evolution is just one more similarity. Sure, there are other games and stories that involve these concepts, and some of those even predate Pokemon. However, Poke-anything is just easy to mash up.

16. Ferty7

Ferty7 Void-Bound Voyager

That's true. I guess I got kinda lazy when I was typing that and wasn't specific enough.

17. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah that would be cool somehow. But you never would be able to catch them all *haha*

18. Azazel

Thanks for the support guys...
    The idea is not Pokemon... so no.

19. DeadlyLuvdisc

We know it isn't Pokemon. They were just comparing the two ideas, not claiming they were the same.

Azazel, do you just hate Pokemon or something? What's the deal?

20. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

He's allowed to hate pokemon, everyone has their own opinions... but he may be going over a little...