Elevator Overhaul Suggestion

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by ZacheryLawshe, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ZacheryLawshe

ZacheryLawshe Void-Bound Voyager

Before I start: I love elevators as an item, and I also love building the occasional tall tower in the game, and I love making it so elevators can be used to get from floor to floor. However I am not a fan on how tiny or obscenely large the elevators can be and I am not all that excited with how you can't get just the right height out of the current elevators. I suggest an elevator overhaul with new items that can be used to increase the height of which the elevator can go and a stopper to stop elevators on certain floors (with accompanying up/down buttons) with the elevator itself (the platform) able to be placed on the elevator belt itself, similar to how skyrails work only you won't need a tech to use an elevator just the resources to build one. Here are the pros and cons I can see with this;

Pros:

-Makes building Tall towers a bit easier as it'll only require one elevator as opposed to multiple small/tall elevators in the same building
    -could possibly be implemented in some way for any dungeons should the devs decide to use it
    -fricken space elevators
    -The stoppers can also be paired with certain buttons to dictate whether the elevator goes up or down making the wiring simpler
    -can also be used alongside certain techniques seen in mining even more often without a constant use of platforms (explosive, digging straight down in a large area, ect)

Cons:
    -would make descending into mines and larger caves easier
    -if a detector type elevator ever appears, NPCs are gonna end up missing
    -monsters would also probably pop up and say hello to those on a higher, safer floor
    -coding would probably be an obstacle, although due to inexperience I would not have any clue on how much of an obstacle it may be
    -it's wiring may be even more complicated

That's pretty much all I have, but in case of TL;DR: Overhaul the elevators to make them a bit more like skyrails to ease up the process of making taller structures like skyscrapers and space elevators.

Ferociousfiend likes this.