Modding Help Editing Hats.xnb to Work With All Hairstyles

Discussion in 'Mods' started by RoastedDoughnut, Mar 19, 2018.

1. RoastedDoughnut

RoastedDoughnut Void-Bound Voyager

Hello modding community. I've been trying to figure out how to edit Content/Data/Hats.xnb so that hats will work with the custom hairstyle mod I'm using in Stardew Valley. From what I understand, it should be a simple matter of changing /false/false" #!String to /true/true" #!String in the code. I've got XNB Extract all set up, but unpacking the hats.xnb file leaves me with a .png image file and a .yaml file - neither of which seem to contain the raw data I need to edit. Could someone explain what it is I'm missing?

HopeWasHere likes this.
    • HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

The file you actually need to edit is the hats.xnb that's in the Stardew Valley/Content/Data folder. The one that is unpacked with the png won't do it for you. I hope that makes sense, if you need help I'd be happy to do so :)

• RoastedDoughnut

Okay, that does make a lot of sense! I'm just not sure what to do with the file to access the data, though.

• HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

When you unpack the xnb you should get a ymal file. You will need something like Notepad or Notepad+ (recommended) to view it. You have to open one of those programs, then drag and drop the ymal into the open program

• RoastedDoughnut

Hmm. I've opened the yaml file I get after unpacking the xnb using Notepad++, but I'm still not getting the raw code. I get this instead:

xnbData:
            target: "w"
            compressed: true
            hiDef: true
            readerData:
            -
            type: "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=842cf8be1de50553"
            version: 0
            numSharedResources: 0
            content: #!Texture2D
            format: 0
            extractedImages:
            -
            path: ""

Could there be some plugin for Notepad++ that I'm missing that would allow the program to read yaml files?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
            • FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

You are still looking at the file (and it's yaml) that contains the images of the hats. You need the one in Content/Data/Hats.xnb. If you are unpacking that one, then you mistakenly replaced the data file with the image file and will need to get it back (via a backup or resetting your files).

• RoastedDoughnut

Ah ha! Thankyou so much, I had indeed somehow managed to get my hat.xnb files mixed up.