1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Easter Egg within the character creator [3/6 found]

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by plaYer2k, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

correction: an infinite number of monkeys

and that's given no two typed things will be the same. here's your reason to stop limping around in the f-ing dark.

2. Bearminator

Bearminator Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well... noone seems to care of this (already posted in pag4), 6 riddles, for 6 eggs?

// Tell the users what all those cute little buttons do. Otherwise they get cranky.
    // The users, that is. Not the buttons.
    // I assume.

// Them button what be big. When user clicks this, big things be happening.

// The measure of a man is in how quickly he can click on small buttons on a computer monitor.
    // If he were to click too quickly, he would have selected a fraction of the page.
    // Knock that off, man.

// User wants to be another species. Weirdo.
    // And now they want to be another gender. Who do they think they are, some kind of pixel sized Tiresias?

// Big button's younger brother. He dreams of one day growing up to become the biggest, most buttonest kid on the playground. An iPad interface.

// BREAK GLASS IN CASE OF MIDLIFE CRISIS

GreatEvilBetty and Stickman1 like this.
  3. blargyblargy

blargyblargy Starship Captain

I never said it was a bad idea. I love the idea. It's silly and fun.

Also the book they would make is all of Shakespeare's work. And it's an infinite amount of monkeys and typewriters.
    They could do it in 14 minutes I believe.

Edit: I done fucked up everything with my words

4. magicguy38

magicguy38 Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe someone should try the first word or letter on each comment in the code or last word or letter. Just an idea:).

5. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Well when those really are related to one easter eggs per passage like you are implying, then one of them should lead to "IFoundAGlitch".
    Also the comments are way older than the easter egg hunt afaik.

6. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

7. Ariskelis

Ariskelis Ketchup Robot

He didn't mean that those WERE the easter eggs, but rather riddles that lead to them.

8. Ruari

Ruari Aquatic Astronaut

I looked through the code and basically: the name you enter is turned into a code (eg "a" = 270, "IFoundAGlitch" = -767d9674), it then gets a file from a location with that name (eg 270, -767d9674) and if there are .png's in there it will load them up, if not nothing happens. So, presumably, there are 6 codes which lead to locations with images in and a huge number more locations that are either empty or don't exist.

So, unless there is a way to search through all the possible file locations until you find a .png the code is pretty useless. On top of that, even if you somehow found the code for a location with an easter egg you would not be able to load the .png's into the Character Creator because you would need the name, which would mean converting your code back into a name which is pretty much impossible.

tl;dr - The code won't help, what a surprise.

Kitty Box, Hirumaru, Zailiner and 3 others like this.
  9. DakoShark

DakoShark Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, if they are riddles to the easter eggs they are bloody difficult. :rofl: At least they left us something. Tiy said knocking about, which could mean anything. x.x

I wanna see this big button that makes big things happen. :O

10. Acherus29A

Acherus29A Void-Bound Voyager

It's not looking for a png, its looking for a JSON object that it loads up new info if it hits a right URL. That -767d9674 is a hexadecimal representation of an unsigned 32 bit integer. So there are about 2^32 possible urls that you have to bruteforce to grab the data if you're randomly guessing.

11. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

Those comments are just there because they annotate the code.

...is just the comment above the code:
    Code:
        if ( $(obj).hasClass( "species-selection" ) )
        {
            var speciesName = obj.id.substring( 8 );

console.log( "Changing to species " + speciesName );
    Which changes the species.

There's also more comments in between, like:

Magician Xy likes this.
  12. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

As Kiofspa said, the comments within the code are not clues. THink about it - how fair would it be if the only place the clues are officially publicly visible are within a code file that only programmers/web developers know how to access and read?

Answer: It would not be fair at all, and certainly not something anyone at Chucklefish would do if they genuinely want people to figure out the easter eggs on their own.

13. Milieta

Milieta Subatomic Cosmonaut

In a similar thought I have been going on the assumtion that if the codes are currently avaible thy would be easily avaible, ie somthing that has been posted to the main site or the fourms. A one phrase line used on the IRC once by a dev is probably not the code.

This could also mean the code is not nessarly in a image like the first one.
    So file name, title, spefic saying?

The other guess is that it relates to one per race, and quite possibily includes the race name that they are for.
    Mind you that only works if the others are similar to the first one we have found.

14. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

I've been going through checking the image names for a lot of the photos posted by devs, especially Tramsan, but I haven't found anything so far.

15. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

I've been doing the same. It's hard to find any good ones, though... I found "Robotion" in the pictures in the Glitch release post, but that didn't do anything. I also tried "Lilith" from the building demo, and the names of the games and creators of Wanderlust, TAW, and Stardew Valley, plus a bunch of variations of everything. Nothing.

16. Alec5h

Alec5h Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Its a shame nobody made a sticky containing all the pictures in/of Starbound, so we could find them a little easier.

And guys, STOP GUESSING.

17. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Now, who said that these hints were fair? For all we know the hints might be hidden anywhere through any means. Personally, I am getting the feeling that the clues aren't well hidden just encrypted beyond recognition.

18. Supman

Supman Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is hard my children

19. Hoddmimir

Hoddmimir Cosmic Narwhal

Given an infinite amount of time it does not matter in the slightest how many monkeys and typewriters there are, and that of course wasn't the point. The point was guessing could eventually work, but people aren't guessing, they are trying things based on possible clues or suggesting possibilities to see if other people will be able to get further with them than they did themselves. There is no need to stop telling people to guess if that is what they want to do and there is certainly no need to imply they are stupid for doing so.

20. Visionary

Visionary Twenty-three is number one

Man, this is trickier than I thought

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.