Modding Help Dynamic Horses Update or Similar Work Around

Discussion in 'Mods' started by clefairykid, Sep 30, 2018.

1. clefairykid

clefairykid Void-Bound Voyager

I'm making a motorbike mod, and my end goal was to not have to sacrifice my horse or tractor, but to end up with horse, tractor and bike all at once (with a stable looking stable for the horse, and left side garage piece for bike and right side garage piece for tractor, that combine next to each other to look like a big shed).

I'm very close to achieving this, by creating a cabin, then building a second stable (then demolishing the cabin), and then using the customise exterior mod to set the first stable to a custom (stable looking) texture. Customise exterior doesn't appear to be able to address the second stable, however it defaults to the original xnb texture so I've added the left garage side image to the xnb directly, and the right side garage image is easily added to the tractor mod. Therefore I have the buildings physically how I want. (emphasis on the fact that I'm totally single player, and never turn on any online sort of features if that's a factor in how this needs to work, I only built the cabin to force the game to let me have a second stable).

The last challenge is that although I have the visual assets for horse and bike, I can only set both horses to be the same look. I found a mod that used to do something very similar that is now broken. I'd try to do this myself but I do not have any C# experience or the right setup to play with the code for it yet (I'm trying to learn but you can imagine I'm probably a fair way off being able to fix a more experienced coder's thing).

Therefore I was wondering if there's anyone who has an idea of how to update/fix unofficially the Dynamic Horses mod to allow me to change the second horse on the one save file, or some similar sort of workaround that could help me get the second horse to look different.

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/874?tab=description

I imagined that this would be the kind of mod ability that would actually be quite popular for multiplayer farms where each farmer might like a differently coloured horse, so it could have utility for more than just this niche case. There might also be an easier way around this or even an existing one I don't know about so any suggestions are welcome.

edit: someone has succesfully made a new custom horses mod :D https://github.com/Ilyaki/CustomHorses/releases/tag/v1.0.0-legacy

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
      HopeWasHere likes this.