Dying Really Sucks... [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Cruellyricisti, May 22, 2013.

?

Are you happy with the way dying is handled in Starbound.

1. Yup, cloning is just fine with me.

61.0%
  2. Eh, I'm kinda 50/50...

23.6%
  3. No! You're idea is a step in the right direction!

15.4%
  1. Deathskull

Deathskull Phantasmal Quasar

Not commenting on the idea in general, but you wouldn't be able to spam the final boss to death if the devs were paying even the slightest bit of attention when they designed it, the final boss should not be possible to beat by spamming and not paying attention to strategy regardless of what the death penalty is and if you can than that's a massive freaking failure of game design right there (unless it's a joke final boss, but we all know how fun those are...)

2. Starsly

Starsly Big Damn Hero

This is a good idea right here, although I think you should have the option to have the game play out either way, by which I mean, you could be able to select semi-permadeath or cloning as an option.

3. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hard or easy, difficulty.

4. Cruellyricisti

Something adaptive and creative. That's the only goal.

5. Noisy

Noisy 2.7182818284590...

hope they give us a variaty of choices on this one... i personaly want perma death... i want my experience in space exploration to be hardcore

Cruellyricisti likes this.
  6. SRJacobs

SRJacobs Void-Bound Voyager

I like this Idea but I think maybe when you get to your predecessor some of the more advanced items such as tools and weapons should be in need of repair before the can be used again

7. SRJacobs

maybe implement an item that would let you revive your fallen friends?

8. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

You aren't actually breaking any forum rules, but it is generally considered bad forum etiquette to quote the entire OP in a reply that is only one sentence long, and double-posting is usually considered bad form as well. Try deleting the parts of the quote that aren't related to your reply, and keep in mind that you can click the Reply button on each post that you want to quote and they will both be quoted in the same post, like I did here. I'm not trying to be rude, just helpful. Welcome to the forums, by the way-- I'll post a smiley on your Introduction thread.

SRJacobs likes this.
  9. SRJacobs

yeah sorry I'm rather new to forums and I'm not completely familiar with how things work but thank you for the advice I will keep that in mind in future posts and you were not being rude in the slightest just informative and I appreciate that

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  10. Cruellyricisti

I actually really like this idea.

11. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

You've left out an option in the poll for those who don't like cloning, but also don't agree with your suggestion. the I'm 50/50 option is too ambiguous.

12. ChronoFlux

ChronoFlux Big Damn Hero

I like the idea but If you can keep the person looking the same thats all that matters to me.

13. Sibernaut

Sibernaut Astral Cartographer

Idea seems like the nice middle ground but I can see how many people may see this as ending up as a corpse run type of thing. And again this seems like something that is good if your going full on single player and don't want the perma death or simple cloning scenarios..

14. Cruellyricisti

There are a few people who are interested in modding this into their server who have spoken to me. I would rather have it in game at least as a difficulty setting.

15. ChronoFlux

ChronoFlux Big Damn Hero

Yes I completely agree.

16. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

This sounds good, but it doesn't make much sense to re-spawn with weapons. I'd suggest that you re-spawn without any weapons or anything inside your spaceship. In that way you would have to have some leftover weapons in your spaceship just in case you die. And then you'd use those other weapons to retrieve the loot from your dead corpse.

I just think that's more sensible and awesome. :coffee:

17. Spike

Spike Supernova

Sure, that is also viable, as long as the player can still perform all the basic tasks needed to survive, and build themselves up again.

18. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Of course, shouldn't be that hard to craft a usable weapon. Like you can imagine, if you die when you haven't advanced much in the game, you probably would have crappy weapons at your disposal anyways, which should be fairly easy to craft. And I bet it wouldn't be much harder if you have advanced a lot before dying. The catch would be that you'd have to be prepared when you set foot on dangerous planets, just in case you die.

The point being that the punishment from dying would in that way be a independent choice, if you don't care about dying and preparing for dangerous stuff to happen then it could take you a lot longer to recover your weapons because you didn't prepare to die. Well I hope you get the idea, I just think that such a punishment is a lot more enjoyable because you can learn from it and learn how to recover faster, instead of seeing a countdown which extends for every time you die, or other things like that which you can't do anything about.

19. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Pangalactic Porcupine

Got a much better idea. You can revive your char by paying a dollar. Now that's what I call a punishing death.

20. Cruellyricisti

As long as they come back more powerful than they left. With even more weapons. Troll.