REQUEST Disease

Discussion in 'Mods' started by charlottenoyen, Mar 31, 2016.

1. charlottenoyen

charlottenoyen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just had my farmer chow down on a raw fish fresh out of a nuclear green sewer pipe, and it occurred to me that this should seriously be making her sick. So is it feasible to add diseases to the game? A cold from going outside in the snow and rain without a hat, food poisoning from eating raw food, hay fever in spring, flu in winter if you don't get a flu shot at the clinic, that sort of thing. Symptoms could include less energy/health, faster stamina drop, randomly falling asleep, walking speed only, etc. Many cooking items can work as cures (soups and broths mostly) and there's always the tonic at the clinic, and a doctor and nurse.

I think it'd add some variety to the seasons, give a bit of an extra challenge early on in the game, and most importantly it would stop Farmer from chowing down on every random thing they find at the bottom of their shoe. Makes cooking a bit more useful too, if raw food can make you sick and cooked food can act as a cure.

So... feasible?

ThatNorthernMonkey likes this.
    • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Technically it should be, I would think, since items can raise max energy, add it, etc. It should even be possible to do in xnb modding. I think the biggest issue would be that each item would have to be done individually from what understand of the item system, so it would take up time- plus, as the buff system currently functions, all the player would have to do would be to eat any item with a buff or less severe debuff in order to shake off the illness debuff. That is, unless the current food system doesn't allow for values in the negative.

charlottenoyen likes this.
      • charlottenoyen

Are there any modding tutorials for this game? I'd like to take a stab at it, but I'm an absolute n00b, so it'd have to be a pretty basic guide...

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

charlottenoyen likes this.
        • AfrokingJ

AfrokingJ Pangalactic Porcupine

jackolanterns rot when the next season comes why shouldn't milk spoil, eggs and vegetables rot, etc. means selling them would be vital you couldn't stock up because they'd go bad.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

If weather effecting health is going to be added, I only asked that it causes hypothermia and not a cold or the flu. Illnesses don't work that way and it kind of grates when they are portrayed that way.
            If it is possible, I'd say to make some fish safe to eat raw if they are at silver or gold quality.
            Most plants should be safe to eat raw- though I am dubious on where the Spring Onions that grow near the sewer outlet would fall.
            If rot gets implemented, the refrigerator should double the time taken, and you should be able to craft a freezer that can quadruple the time until decay.

• charlottenoyen

Funny you should say that. I was just bitching at my husband how much it annoys me when in games with crafting systems, gold tools are always better than metal ones. A gold axe? Really?

Anyway, I'm nowhere near committed to trying this. But I do agree that hypothermia makes a lot of sense.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I can barely tolerate gold being above iron, since I could see a tool with an iron core being coated in a gold-alloy to prevent rust and help it hold an edge better. (I've heard somewhere that gold holds an edge very well.) In more fantasy like settings where is is used as a higher rank of material for weapons and/or armor, I try to think of it as either an entirely different metal from Earth gold (kind of like how real life iridium looks nothing like the game iridium) or that the 'gold' is actually some kind of alloy or component of an alloy that gives it the properties it does.

I wonder if spoiled food could be done by adding negative star ranks? Like blue for mildly spoiled, purple for badly spoiled and black for inedible? I haven't figured out how they work yet, myself, so...
                -sweatdrop-

(Back to the subject of gold for a second... Gold armor is even dumber than the tools. Probably would weight five hundred pounds, wuld seriously cunduct electricity, and is a soft metal that is definitely not going to protect your face from the mace coming towards it at however many miles an hour.)