Modding Discussion Discussion about max mods starbound can handle.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Nomad42, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Nomad42

Nomad42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was wondering if there is a max limit to the amount of mods starbound can handle, without crashing the game and still able to play with stability. Share how many mods you use if you can, the easiest way to do is is to go to your giraffe storage, mods and just count how many mods you have in there. I don't want to overload on mods and have an unstable games, I want to have over 100 active, but I'm not sure if that's too much or not. Also if you have any mods to recommend (That works with the current latest version of starbound) please share.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

As a certified mod-a-holic, I can verify that the game can handle at least 100 mods. However, very few people actually install that many and it tends to be frowned upon because running a lot of mods risks a lot of conflicts - you have to be diligent about checking the log and addressing as many issues as quickly as possible. As an established modder, I already have the skills necessary to maintain that number of mods so people were light on me in modding IRC.

Also, another issue you will run into is load times. They can get really, really long when the game has to load and process far more assets than normal. Unavoidable, really.

3. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

i haven't found a limit yet, but i probably don't have as many going as mackinz. as far as anything to recommend, there are a bunch on the official starbound mod repository if you haven't checked that yet. http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/categories/starbound.21/ .
    as far as specific mods, what do you want to do with your game? are you a farmer who wants to automate your cropgrowing? maybe try gardenbots. do you want to be able to grow ores (and tons of other stuff) like crops? try ore plants. do you want a massive overhaul that changes planet generation, adds various science equipments, tons of new plants and materials, etc.etc.etc? try FrackinUniverse. My understanding is that the most recent update (Glad Giraffe) came out at the end of Dec, 2015...so look for stuff that's been updated since...and many mod authors will also label their mods with the version it supports...i.e. [Glad Giraffe] in the title. And, if you install a mod and you don't like it or it makes your game unstable, usually they're not too difficult to uninstall. just delete any items from the mod that you have ingame, and remove the file from your mods folder.

edit: mods are subjective, so it's hard to say something definitive about what you'd like. some people could think that gardenbots make the farming game too easy and cheaty. I think it's the future and i have a spaceship and rayguns, so it makes some sense to me that we should have robotic automated farming. both points of view are valid.

4. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

As some one who has modded quite a few games, and several of them are loaded with a ton of stuff, basically experiment with mods and double check their descriptions before installing to avoid conflicts as much as possible.

For heavily scripted mods, pay close attention to versions compatibility, older ones may not work on updated games, but some times you get lucky and not much was changed, so the old mod might still work.

Texture/image replacers tend to be more stable since that is all they do, with little to no scripts used.

Again as what was said earlier in this thread, its all about personal taste of what you want to run, just keep in mind the more you add or change in any game, the longer the load times may get, and things may become unstable if you over do it.

5. void__dude

void__dude Void-Bound Voyager

I have found through self sacrifice that the game can handle about 300 mods before it won't work, and before that, you'll still have problems.