Derelict Ships

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Dirigible Tomato, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Dirigible Tomato

Dirigible Tomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I disagree. This game isn't entirely relaxed. And time constraints force you to play in a way that you do not want to play. How does that change whether the game is easy or not?
    Being forced into a pace you don't enjoy isn't fun, nor is it challenging. Grrrrrr >:c
    But like, subtle ones, instead of tesla coil buzzing. Grinds on the ears a bit.
    I think while in space, a sound effect should be applied similar to the muffling you get underwater. Asteroid fields and moons would have at least some sort of atmosphere, which is why there is sound, but it wouldn't be much of an atmosphere, so there should be less or just muffled sound. The same with some derelict ships; life support would be gone or going, depending on the age of the ship, and that would affect sounds.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. Slug

Slug Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm a huge fan of this idea. I've always liked the concept of finding like a crazy derelict ship with like robots or alien parasites or something lol

3. Sgt_Hankey

Sgt_Hankey Request for Urgent Business Relationship

There could be traders on such ships, which would be nice.

DrFlashbang likes this.
  4. Sgt_Hankey

Again, I want the timed events to still leave so much time, that you can take it slightly easy. And while this alone will not make the game hard, I do think the Devs will make changes to it over time.
    While it is technically "forced" it wouldn't have to be a Pace that you couldn't enjoy. I'm not suggesting a Race to the end, here, just a paced walk.
    And whether or not you would enjoy it, find it fun or challenging is really a matter of opinion. But I suppose you're right that if it's too relaxed, it's basically pointless.

DrFlashbang likes this.
  5. DrFlashbang

DrFlashbang Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like this a lot. You could have enough time to explore the ship for things but still escape if the ship was going to blow up by a programmed reactor core failure that will explode in a given time.

6. Dirigible Tomato

I don't remember saying this >_>

7. Sgt_Hankey

Oh, guess my mind just countered itself. xD

8. NomekSan

NomekSan Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of having a certain amount of time to do sth. How else would one create a scenario where you trigger some event that causes the ship to explode after a while? This is a common thing in derelict spaceships floating around. This doesn't have to be like this every time but once in a while this could be fun. It's a challenge and you have to decide if you run away or if you try to stop it and eventually die.

9. Alaster

Alaster Orbital Explorer

On the topic of timed events, why not also include the dreaded red button. Once you reach the control room, there could be some suspicious buttons to press. Some could open a locked door that contains awesome loot, others would set the timer to begin lock-downs.
    It would be a gamble like the death-pods. You get something good in return, or you simply just die... if you don't make it out in time.
    So... higher risk, greater reward?

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  10. Sgt_Hankey

Ugh, to simply Die sucks. I really Hate the PODs (Pods of DEATH). There should always be a way out in my opinion.

11. Alaster

Alaster Orbital Explorer

Heh yeah. Just imagine pressing one the buttons, then the control room locks down.
    Suddenly you're stuck there until the timer goes off and the spaceship explodes. :megusta: Unless there's a hidden alternate rout like a secret vent you can escape out of.
    But rather, instead of the instant death, you have time to run out the spaceship with a whole bunch of monster emerging out of the walls chasing you. So... good luck.

12. Dirigible Tomato

Agreed. Not being given a chance sucks, imo. It's even less fun to lose at things when you don't even have a chance to do otherwise. That's why Hearthstone's RNG makes me cry.

13. Sgt_Hankey

Maybe the penalty could just be no awesome loot? I mean, wasn't this the reason we went to reach the control panel in the first place? :V

14. Dirigible Tomato

Don't let this idea die out, guys! We need moar brainstorming!

15. Zaisher

Zaisher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

interdimensonel were wolves WHY? you ask? because everything is better with crazy

16. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

That would be pretty awesome. Maybe you can also find survivors/crew members remains, and also maybe a hint of something that killed them all, as well as a mini boss battle (such as tentacle monsters, living fungi, or zombies).

17. Sgt_Hankey

Pretty sure all of those ideas already got posted previously in this thread.

18. DrFlashbang

DrFlashbang Subatomic Cosmonaut

But they are good.

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  19. Zaisher

Zaisher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*COUGH WERE*ASKDCOJUFD WOLCVES COUGH*

20. Sgt_Hankey

But re-posts are still an evil that must be fought mercilessly!
    ALL GLORY TO THE INTERNET!

DrFlashbang likes this.