Derelict Ships

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Dirigible Tomato, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Sgt_Hankey

Sgt_Hankey Request for Urgent Business Relationship

Or they could just be crazed maniacs at this point, (Like in FTL) being either neutral or aggressive. Or perhaps just completely passive.

Or maybe just ticking time bombs, that can just randomly decide to kill you.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. Ramses von Deweh

Ramses von Deweh Subatomic Cosmonaut

Perhaps to fit the role of Artificial Planets as dungeon planets, once you beam down, your ship auto-pilots to a safe distance (or hides next to a derelict ship hull), but it leaves you stranded on the planet until...

A: You die.

or

B: You make your way down to the core of the planet and use the proper teleporter pad located there.

Hence, you can't leave until "you complete the dungeon," so it's best to come prepared.

Once ship upgrades are implemented, a cloaking device could be installed on your ship, allowing your ship to approach the planet cloaked, and gaining you the ablilty to beam out whenever you need to.

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  3. RULERULTAMIS

RULERULTAMIS Big Damn Hero

Yes. I want more things to explore, because after the first few 726 thousand planets the game kind of gets boring.

4. TheApothecanary

TheApothecanary Starship Captain

Are you being sarcastic, because the ideas on this thread are brilliant in my opinion.....

Whats wrong with having more things to explore..

5. Dirigible Tomato

Dirigible Tomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think that's what he's saying.

6. RULERULTAMIS

RULERULTAMIS Big Damn Hero

I am not being sarcastic. Well... maybe i stretched the truth on the 726 thousand planets... but that was to make a point.

7. Devalaous

Devalaous Seal Broken

Sounds like a great idea. I really enjoyed the derelict stations in Metroid Prime 1 and 3. That series itself is full of them, could be some clever reference to the series!

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  8. DrFlashbang

DrFlashbang Subatomic Cosmonaut

Also, what if you could tow the ship behind yours and if maybe use it to store more things or have NPC's if it's empty and if there are survivors maybe you could tow them to a planet that they want to inhabit or were hoping to inhabit and it could be a quest.

9. Sgt_Hankey

I dunno, Derelict ships would mostly have to be pretty huge (In my Opinion). At least with our current ships I don't think it would be realistic we could tow such huge ships.
    Would perhaps be better if we could repair them and make them follow us?

Elate likes this.
  10. DrFlashbang

Yeah that sounds good.

Medkit and Sgt_Hankey like this.
  11. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

That's a pretty neat idea, I especially like the idea of having timed events to essentially save the loot. Or maybe you can't and you just have to grab everything you can and then get the hell out of there. I fully support this suggestion.

DrFlashbang and Medkit like this.
  12. Sgt_Hankey

I dunno about timed events, could add some more pressure to the game. Which could be nice.

So storming the ship, smashing all chests and containers and just grabbing everything.

13. Dirigible Tomato

I myself am not really a fan of timed events. They add pressure which just doesn't work for me. I prefer to play at my own pace, and limited time works against that.

DrFlashbang and Sgt_Hankey like this.
  14. Sgt_Hankey

Well, I agree. The pressure shouldn't be too high, but I think sometimes the game spoon feeds you a bit too much.
    I think it should be timed, but with so much time that for as long you're in the right tier of armor, you'll have Plenty of time to run through the dungeon.

It should also Warn you that it is a Timed event, so you can prepare properly :p

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    DrFlashbang likes this.
  15. NomekSan

NomekSan Void-Bound Voyager

Love this idea. Exploring the the universe, stubling over an derelicted ship or an abandoned spacestation. Get my things ready to investigate the thing and realize that I am not able to teleport to the ship because the system is down. So I spacewalk over broken parts to find an entrance to the thing. Since the whole thing is devestaded inside, I have to dig some wreckage away to get to the bridge. There I find the logbook, read it and get an idea what happened and if there is a chance anybody survived or something valuable is to find here or maybe something really dangerous.

From this point my head hurts because of the endless posibilities. This is my favourite maybe-content so far.

Edit: Luffy posted this picture of a crashed spaceship on a planet in another thread. It's from an developer livestream I suppose. So there is already a similar thing going on.

http://starbounders.tumblr.com/image/27912848877

16. Dirigible Tomato

Timed events are a way to fix this? You know what spoonfeeding is, right? Don't gimme no crap about the game being too easy or whatever.
    Timed events smell. Not liking them is a preference, and has nothing to do with how easy the game may or may not be.

17. Sgt_Hankey

Yes, I think the game is currently rather easy and relaxed. While I do enjoy nice environments and atmosphere, sometimes a bit of action couldn't hurt.

18. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

What a great suggestion!!

Imagine beaming down into an asteroid field only to discover a bruised and battered ship. There a are a few Uranium cells/bars left in the engine that you grab for your own ship, and you find yourself sneaking around in the dark hull with your flashlight, peering into strange crates held to the bay sides by netting and gathering what goodies you can (cans of food, bombs, all the accoutrements that a space-ship might have).

Could definately add a bit of the Space Pirate vibe too, if a few ships were broken down but still had occupants- depending on your playstyle you could pillag and enslave, or even slaying & eating (for the Florans), maybe healing and rescuing for the Hylotls, and everything in-between for the rest.

And, then, maybe even some of this action!

[​IMG]

Warboss_Spriggs and Sgt_Hankey like this.
  19. NomekSan

NomekSan Void-Bound Voyager

What we need there is flickering lights and a lot of "BzzzBzzzzzzBzz" sounds!

Warboss_Spriggs and Sgt_Hankey like this.
  20. DrFlashbang

Also, maybe these ships could become your allies or friends and you could teleport to them so if you wanted to get from system to system quickly you could do this, or maybe you could save the ship's coordinates and visit the ship and the planet it's orbiting without having to write the coordinates down. Makes deciding where to go a lot easier.

Sgt_Hankey likes this.