Modding Help Custom starter clothes

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by AffabeAutomaton, Jan 3, 2014.

1. AffabeAutomaton

AffabeAutomaton Intergalactic Tourist

Hey everyone, I'm interested in making custom starter clothes for a new race I'm working on. I tried my hand at mimicking the way the human starter clothes are set up but couldn't get anything to show up, I did strangley get a "in underpants" set tho.

Any who, Im very new to this and more artist than coder so any insight the community has to offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sabboth

Sabboth Zero Gravity Genie

Well if you have photoshop (or GIMP maybe?) the layering features are very useful. If you already have artwork done for each different frame of movement animation, and it's still not showing up, it's probably and issue with the .chest, .legs, and .head files for the clothing that you're making. Once you set up their id's you have to add them to your .species file for your race near the bottom where it defines the two genders and what options of clothing and hair they have access to. And to have them available for crafting, you need recipes in their correct locations along with giving your race access to those recipes at the tier you want, also controlled through the .species file.

I'm not at my home computer so I can't give you any good examples, but I hope that helps a little bit.

3. AffabeAutomaton

AffabeAutomaton Intergalactic Tourist

Its the code I think Im messing up. In the default human.species file it has...
    Code:
    {
          "name" : "male",
          "image" : "/interface/title/male.png",
          "characterImage" : "/interface/title/humanmale.png",
          "hair" : [ "male1", "male2", "male3", "male4", "male5", "male6", "male7", "male8", "male9", "male10", "male11", "male12", "male13", "male14", "male15", "male16", "male17", "male18", "male19", "male21", "male22", "male23", "male24", "male25", "male26", "male27", "male28", "male29", "male30", "male31", "male32", "male33", "male34", "male35", "male36", "male37", "male38", "male39", "male40", "male41", "male42", "male43", "male44", "male45", "male46", "male47", "male48", "male49", "male50", "male51", "male52", "male53", "male54", "male55", "male56", "male57", "male58", "male59", "male60", "male61", "male62" ], //  "hair2cut" "hair9cut"
          "shirt" : [ "workoutchest", "coolchest", "conceptchest", "sweatervestchest" ],
          "pants" : [ "workoutlegs", "coollegs", "conceptlegs", "sweatervestlegs" ],
          "facialHairGroup" : "",
          "facialHair" : [ ],
          "facialMaskGroup" : "",
          "facialMask" : [ ]
        },
    The Folders/files I thought its refrencing are located in C:\...\Starbound\assets\items\armors\human

the folder them selves are named human-workout, human-cool, human-concept, and human-sweatervest

In side these folders (human-concept for example) there are the various .png files for the sprites, a concept.chest file and a concept.legs file

The concept.chest file looks something like this (concept.legs is prettymuch the same)
    Code:
    {
      "itemName" : "conceptchest",
      "inventoryIcon" : "icons.png:chest",
      "dropCollision" : [-4.0, -3.0, 4.0, 3.0],
      "maxStack" : 1,
      "rarity" : "Common",
      "description" : "A casual shirt.",
      "shortdescription" : "Casual Shirt",
      "inspectionKind" : "armor",

"maleFrames" : {
        "body" : "chestm.png",
        "backSleeve" : "bsleeve.png",
        "frontSleeve" : "fsleeve.png"
      },

"femaleFrames" : {
        "body" : "chestf.png",
        "backSleeve" : "bsleeve.png",
        "frontSleeve" : "fsleeve.png"
      },

"statusEffects" : [
        {
          "kind" : "ColdProtection",
          "amount" : "1"
        },

{
          "kind" : "protection",
          "amount" : 0
        },

{
          "kind" : "healthincrease",
          "amount" : 5
        }
    I had thought all I had to do was change all the 'human' text to 'new race' text and add change the entries in the species for shirt and pants to the names of my new clothes

not sure what Im missing, is ther another file I should be changeing too?