Modding Help cursors.xnb

Discussion in 'Mods' started by blargsnarf, Mar 18, 2016.

1. blargsnarf

blargsnarf Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey, dudes and dudettes.

So, I am poking around various files, and find cursors.xnb - obviously the cursors.png spritesheet is very important and stores a ton of stuff the game uses on it.

I use xnb_node to unpack it, I replace one little thing (the dog head icon) and repack it, but then when I load my save, I have a problem.

Turns out the light rays that come in thru windows are stored in cursors.png, and xnb cannot unpack/repack those properly. When I loaded my save with the new cursors.xnb packed into it, all the light rays through windows have ugly pixelation in them.

I tried a different program to extract cursors.png (actually one I already had, and used a few days after SV came out to extract all the graphics), and lo-and-behold, it actually handled the transparency correctly. However, that program can't repack XNBs, and when I use xnb node to repack it, I get a different albeit still ugly pixel error in-game.

This is the png I want packed - can anyone try and do it and see if they get pixellation? If you don't, any idea why I do?

I've included both the raw cursors.png I get when I extract it using xnb node, and also an edited one where I circled what I'm pretty sure is the problem area.

Cursors.png Cursorserror.png

• blargsnarf

Nobody has any idea about this?

• KingJoey

KingJoey Phantasmal Quasar

First off, I don't see any changes to the dog portrait. Second, those black and blue pixels shouldn't be in the circled area. You still have your original? It looks to me as if you tried to replace a color and the lighting was affected by it as well.

If you have a picture of the dog portrait you want to add in, I can add it in and repack it if you haven't figured it out yet. ^^ Hope this helps.

• blargsnarf

Like I said, this is just the raw file I get when I extract it with xnb_node. I didn't change anything. I'm not really looking for someone to quickly change it for me, I'm more wondering why xnb_node messes up the transparency, and which program others who edit cursors.xnb are using that don't mess it up.

• KingJoey

I presumed you edited something in the .png cause I made a cursors mod for my cat's portrait and I unpacked with xnb_node as well. Try reverting back to the original and unpack again. Those pixels definitely should not be there and if the lighting used to work normal I guess something went wrong with unpacking or something. I unpacked all the games data at once, maybe that will work for you.

• blargsnarf

I've unpacked it tons of times, and even tried a different editor - the different editor gave me a different error with the transparency, it just made the window rays darker than in the vanilla game.

I guess it's something on my PC interacting with the way xnb_node works, then. That's strange. I'm not sure what else to suggest.

• KingJoey

Well, this is my original Cursors.png, I use Paint.net for my edits. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Conflagrawr likes this.
                • Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yes, for some reason the new 1.5 1.6 cursors.xnb gets shitty after its extracted from XNB Node. Only way to fix is to obtain a good version from somebody elses cursors.xnb

• blargsnarf

Any updates on this? I want to edit Loosefiles/steamAnimation.xnb but it has similar transparency issues :(.