1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Creature Sizes+Sea Creatures

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WeepingAngel988, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Hat

Hat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What about, in ocean planets, there's an island with grass on it, but if you dig in it, it turns out to be a giant turtle and you fight it, and then the shell stays as an island.

2. like00111

like00111 Zero Gravity Genie

Whys it got to be evil? :( :(

[​IMG]

tassina, Lonewolf222 and Hat like this.
  3. Dis

Dis Phantasmal Quasar

I vote for a Magnathorax.
    supervlieg_cow057.jpg [/SPOILER

4. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades Cosmic Narwhal

I sincerely hope we'll be getting more than small fries. Granted, the existence of fish at all is something we should all rejoice at, given that there are many games out there that don't even include them, at least not alive or in the water. Even so, my plans to have at least one of my characters make his home base on an ocean-filled planet was at least partially inspired by the idea that I would be able to fight and/or study leviathan-like creatures, so I really do wish that there will be something of that magnitude included. :whoop:

tassina likes this.
  5. like00111

like00111 Zero Gravity Genie

tassina, samufel and JackOfAllTrades like this.
  6. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

I'm actually terrified of deep water as well, but mostly only in games. There are many games that have areas I have to avoid, or can't even complete because of a water level. I thought it was really uncommon to have such a fear of water in games, but it's not. Youtube has thousands of videos where gamers show just how scared they are of it.

Some games I have no problems, other games I have lots of problems with it. It really depends on the visbility in the water, 3rd or 1st person camera, and if I feel there's something in that water or not.

7. I'm sure there will be plenty of large monsters.

The ocean in Starbound looks so beautiful and the boats are awesome, but I can only imagine what horrors lay in wait at the bottom... I don't think we've seen any underwater monsters yet.

[​IMG]

I'm not gonna get any sleep tonight D:

tassina and imrevned like this.
  8. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, bosses have bigger sizes, so it might be possible to make randomly generated monsters bigger I suppose. Also, since fishes are randomly generated, they can look pretty monstrous, and aggressive, if the mix is right.

tassina likes this.
  9. I was just on Bart's stream and asked if ocean biomes will be populated with creatures in beta release, and also if there will be creature of varying size. He said that they had large creatures at one point but they looked ugly so they stopped using them and stuck with player height ones. I wonder if that means we wont see larger monsters on land..? Unfortunately he didn't answer my other question.

10. Spike

Spike Supernova

Maybe bart means no big, randomly generated monsters in general. maybe the large version of the monsters are too stretched to look good, so they removed it.

11. Yeah that's exactly what I guessed he meant.

12. Spike

Spike Supernova

Ah well. At least we still have big, designed bosses to play with.

tassina and DotBeta like this.
  13. Spike

Spike Supernova

Welp, large creatures are confirmed to be in-game.

[​IMG]

I mean, it's not horrifyingly big, but I hope we have huge monsters at the bottom of the ocean, where light couldn't penetrate.

Diagnosan, tassina, Dis and 1 other person like this.
  14. :up: awesome :)

Spike likes this.
  15. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

that would be cool

16. Mailboxhead

Mailboxhead Master Astronaut

Personally, I'd like to see EXTRA large sea creatures. The kind talked about in old seafaring tails. How about a massive sea-serpent boss that comes out of nowhere in the open ocean?

17. The Question

The Question Ketchup Robot

Stop suggesting large monsters.

Otherwise Qui gon jinn's logic is going to come in and murder all of you.

(There's always a bigger fish)

18. NovaTheKid

NovaTheKid Big Damn Hero

"There's always a bigger fish"