1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Crash on startup due to ASUS Xonar drivers?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by gibbed, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxelAz

AxelAz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well I disabled it and It didn't work, so I decided to hunt down this rogue file and put an end to its mischief! Well I found the file in its ever waking slumber and smit it with the flames of the gods! Well its gone now. The only problem I have is the random access violation error that crashes starbound, either when Alt + Tabbing out or when putting it into full screen mode after Alt + Tabbing. I've also encountered errors when searching items in a crafting table or an anvil. But that's another matter

2. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Just as well, seems like it causes issues with a lot of games.

If you're having an issue when task-switching, that's a video driver or SB problem... try updating your video drivers, disabling the Steam in-game overlay, and make sure Starbound isn't running in Compatibility Mode.

3. AxelAz

My Starbound Diagnostic has nothing wrong with it anymore. And It just might be my video Drivers, because I'm using a laptop (custom gaming laptop) with a GTX 780m, and an i7 quad core 2.9ghz processor, and because it is a notebook, games are usually optimized for the Notebooks last. So it might be that problem, and yes I have updated my Nvidia drivers to the newest update, and I'm not running it in compatibility mode or administrator (counts as being in compatibility mode)

4. RvLesh

Out of curiosity... does it just have the one nVidia GPU, or is it a switchable GPU?

5. AxelAz

It is a custom Laptop, meaning that it can be swapped, but it is recommended not to do it by yourself, and send it to the company that made it (in this case CyberPowerPC) and they will swap it out for the GPU of your choice.

6. RvLesh

That's odd...

Next time it crashes when you alt-tab, post the log.

If you see a crash when searching through a crafting device, post a log of that too.

7. AxelAz

Sure, I haven't had a crash in a while now but when the time comes I will do so.

8. AxelAz

Well For some reason I cant copy the crash log, and it disappeared faster than I could write it down, but this is kind of what it said, access violation something something, and then Microsoft Visual C +++++ Something has something and Starbound has asked to be terminated in an unusual way.

9. RvLesh

Nothing about the crash in your starbound.log ?

10. AxelAz

How would I check this file? I checked the one of the .config file and it didn't have any signs of a crash.

11. RvLesh

Should be \starbound\starbound.log , same directory with starbound.config ... SB will collapse if it can't write to the log, so there has to be one.

12. AxelAz

I have 2 files that have the name Starbound, one is a CONFIG File, and the other is a Text Document. The text document seems to be a log of everything before closing starbound, and the Config file just seems to be a server file. (I do have a separate Starbound Server file). So Because the Log starts up again after launching starbound again I cant find the recent crash.

13. RvLesh

Oh, right, not displaying extensions... the text file is the log. Post that on pastebin after the next crash.

14. AxelAz

Will do

15. k17asu

k17asu Space Hobo

Kind sir, you sre the best

16. AxelAz

Well here it is the Eror log.
    Error: Access violation detected at 0x4b6cf5 (Read of address 0xa1)
    Error: Stack Trace...
    007F4A50 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
    004B6CF5 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/windowing/StarPane.cpp:37)
    004B3EB9 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/windowing/StarPaneManager.cpp:173)
    00402781 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:280)
    0040A1C7 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:186)
    00407C30 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/main.cpp:48)
    004DBBD1 (c:\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.