1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Crash before the game loads

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Alt777, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alt777

Alt777 Void-Bound Voyager

I mean Hel, if I'm going to spend $500 on a new PC, I want to know why I'm spending it at least.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Runtime errors can be a multitude of things, but given your dated hardware, it is likely just not compatible to run at all, thus the runtime error.

"A runtime error is a software or hardware problem that prevents a program from working correctly. Runtime errors might cause you to lose information in the file you're working on, cause errors in the file (corrupt the file) so you can't work with it, or prevent you from using a feature."

3. Alt777

I see. Well it looks like it initialized the (or a) video configuration component, then the... joystick? Then the sound component, then crashed. Is it supposed to initialize another SDL after that, or start running something or... what?

Edit: Wait a second... from what I've read here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_DirectMedia_Layer an SDL is written in C-C++. So, is it possible that if I don't have the OLDER versions of Windows C+ and whatnot, that I'd be missing some integral part of the framework? I have the 2015 Visual C++ installed to my knowledge.

4. Alt777

It looks to me by the refferances to
    " [4] 76b46ac5 waveOutMessage
    [5] 76b4366d SendDriverMessage
    [6] 76b4853a waveOutGetDevCapsW
    [7] 76b480e4 waveOutGetDevCapsW
    [8] 76b482b6 waveOutGetDevCapsW
    [9] 76b4643f waveOutMessage
    [10] 76b46487 waveOutMessage
    [11] 76b4611a waveOutMessage
    [12] 73f15afe
    [13] 73f15a9b
    [14] 73f162db
    [15] 73f141e3
    [16] 73f1479d
    [17] 355ba3 SDL_LoadWAV_RW
    [18] 351c9a SDL_OpenAudio"

that it's an issue with the audio portion of the SDL. Especially since the error came right after it initialized the "SDL Sound."

5. lazarus78

You can try just updating everything. Drivers, frameworks, etc. But honestly, your performance level will be sub par. If it doesn't lag at lowest zoom level, you will have issues with slow planet loading.

6. Alt777

Yeah I've had issues with laggy planet loading before but the game runs fairly smoothly. I know I have a shit PC and I know I need to upgrade and I will when I can afford it. But ya know I've played Company of Heroes on mid-level settings and it runs pretty okay as long as I don't stick the camera right in an explosion or some such thing. I push this old junker to its limits and it does a good job if I do say so myself. Which is why it came as such a surprise to see that Starbound, a simple game as far as graphics goes, doesn't want to work anymore.

I'm running one of the few dinosaurs left, and soon it'll be oil, but for now I just want to be able to play a game I used to love to death back when I first played it.

7. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Graphics don't necessarily mean much, though. Sure, they look simple and classic but there is a lot of other stuff going on which eats up memory. You can't simply compare it to Company of Heroes and be done with it, is all I'm saying.

A previous post pointed out you can upgrade piece by piece. The point isn't to do it for a single game, but to better your hardware so your machine is actually up to snuff. That's typically what I do...piece by piece maintenance. But not everyone is suited to that. I prefer setting it all up myself. Takes a while, but still works out.

8. lazarus78

Intel Centrino and Quadro 110m are mobile hardware. I don't think upgrading parts is an option.

9. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

yea, a lot harder to do with a laptop, that's for damned sure. It also makes things worse because, typically speaking, unless its a gaming laptop in the first place it isn't going to handle gaming well at all. That goes for almost any laptop. Wife has a good laptop...thing cant even chug out Torchlight 2 with any degree of decency despite surpassing "minimum" requirements.

But hey, let's slander and insult each other over it anyway. Clearly it's our fault because we're rich.

RamsiC likes this.
  10. Alt777

Well, in the end, none of this matters. I just spent the past day completely revamping my PC, reinstalling Windows, and updating everything and I still get the damned error. But whatever, it is what it is. This wouldn't be the first time I wasted money on a steam game.

11. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Revamping is pointless when you can't fix the overlying issue: new gear that costs cash which, unfortunately, you can't do at the moment. Crappy position.

12. Alt777

Ya don't say... well thanks anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.