1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Crafting leaked

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by navar0nius, Mar 13, 2013.

1. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Ew. It looks like a lot of the armor will be strongly tied to environments, rather than stuff that is more flexible and variable in stats. I'm also kinda saddened because I made a thread all about specific reasons why Damage Reduction should be a flat rate against elemental damage (like radiation) and a percentile rate against general damage. It should say % next to the shield, with a # next to the elemental stuff, not the other way around.
    Maybe I am assuming too much from this image. I really hope I'm wrong, here.
    EDIT: My thread on Armor Damage Reduction Formulas: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/armor-damage-reduction-formulas.11016/

2. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Well most games have their armor based on flat amount of damage reduction rather than percent.

3. DeadlyLuvdisc

Most games use flat damage reduction because they are lazy and/or don't think very much about damage formulas and "all that math stuff". Many games use percentile damage reduction because it is much easier to balance for PvP.

4. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

[​IMG]

Anyone wanna take some guess one what the running man and the arrows represent?

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  5. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think you've probably got the right idea. Running Man certainly looks like he's sprinting about as fast as he can. Only one I might be iffy on is the multi-arrow, it could mean a few different things.

6. MachoBandit

MachoBandit Pangalactic Porcupine

Like Christmas tree power.

7. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

I think the % enviromental damage protection is there so that if you wear all five pieces it will equal 100% and give you full coverage from enviro-damage. This would, in effect, require you to craft the whole set before safely traversing a "cold" or "radioactive" environment, since without a full set you would steadily lose health. This would also mean that a really high level radiation facemask would not negate all radiation on a low-level radioactive planet, and you would still have to wear the full suit. If enviromental protection was a flat rate, a player could wear just an epic facemask and negate all environmental damage: very unrealistic, and silly.

Though your point about having % armor against general damage is a good one. (I read your thread)

8. DeadlyLuvdisc

Yeah, good point. I'm just mostly concerned about general damage possibly being a flat reduction, which I think would be a mistake. Metroid games, for example, use % DR, and it shows how it can scale very well over time when the enemies get stronger. With better armor, you still feel very noticeably stronger, but you never feel like you don't have to avoid damage.

I suspect you are exactly correct on all of these.

9. Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

Well, perhaps the percentage is a reduction of your chance to become poisoned or get radiation sickness or something?

10. CozyFox

CozyFox Big Damn Hero

Radiation? Why havn't i heard of this? ._.

11. Shanjaisolen

Shanjaisolen Pangalactic Porcupine

Because you can't HEAR text. :p
    I wonder which are the consequences that goin' into a radioactive place without that hazmat suit are. (Mutation? :alien:)

12. Hugt

Hugt Phantasmal Quasar

Running man looks like speed or sprinting time?
    Single arrow looks like height as you put =P
    Multi arrows either look like multiple jumps or like sustained air time

13. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Because a kevlar vest prevents 45% of a bullet from passing through it? You said that wearing just a mask to protect yourself from the environment is "unrealistic" (it is, I'm not disagreeing with that) but that armor should work an even more unrealistic way...o_O

14. Seburo

Seburo Subatomic Cosmonaut

That image...I...I can't stop looking at it. :D

15. Saber Cherry

Saber Cherry Big Damn Hero

Bwahaha!!! As much as I love luvdiscs... in fact, I spent several days farming them in PkMN Gold, for the heart scales... but regardless! I agree, most games use flat reductions because they are lazy. Even Pokemon is not perfect (though its formulas are confusing, so it's hard to say definitively).

The ideal armor formula is this:
    (att*att)/(att+def)

Yes, I invented it myself. It's perfect, and available royalty-free, as long as I am credited :p. Feel free to examine it graphically, in R/Excel/Matlab/whatever. When att==def, the defender receives half damage (half the armor rating is applied). When att>>def, the defender receives att-def damage (the full armor rating is applied). When att<<def, defender receives roughly att^2/def damage. It is... in a word... perfect! Armor reduces damage by ~100% of its rating when attack is very high; by half roughly its rating when attack is similar to armor; yet when armor is much higher than attack, some damage is still applied.

16. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Maybe. But it's also the best way to simulate realistic armor while still retaining some of the "video game" needs for gear to be useful. See, in reality, protection is kind of a binary thing- either you're protected, or you aren't. A bullet proof vest, as a simplified example, is going to pretty much stop any small caliber bullet (ignoring wear from extended use, for the sake of example) but won't have any useful effect on, say, a high caliber sniper rifle.

But in a game, this kind of protection has problems- how do you balance enemy damage output to make this kind of armor useful, yet not overly so? If enemy attacks are too high, it doesn't matter if you have armor or not; too low, and you can find spots where you will go from effectively unprotected to effectively immortal with a relatively small increase in gear quality. The answer is, simply, to apply armor as a flat reduction.

LazerEagle1 likes this.
  17. Saber Cherry

Saber Cherry Big Damn Hero

I would say that your solution causes the problems you describe. In reality, any armor will absorb some amount of the incoming energy, and no armor known today will entirely negate it. Thus, a flat reduction is the worst possible naive model. To come up with an even worse one, you'd have to no longer be naive; that is, intentionally create an extraordinarily unrealistic formula.

18. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

You probably build up radiation, and if you get enough of it, you start to take damage. Unless you take a RadX, of course. And you can probably only get rid of said radiation with a RadAway.

19. dothrom

dothrom Void-Bound Voyager

A kevlar vest may stop a bullet from puncturing the body, but it does not "negate" the impact. It will still leave a nasty bruise, and a broken bone if it impacted against one. The other problem with creating a "realistic" damage/armor system in a game is that there are no "hit points" in reality.

20. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Tiy has also said that even the highest-tier weapons won't be extremely OP. While they do do more damage, going up in the spectrum mostly just opens up new gameplay abilities. He says he wants most, if not all, items to be useful for the entire game.

TL;DR: Flat damage reduction is okay.