REQUEST Could we have a sticky telling people we have subforums?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Zhuria, Mar 11, 2016.

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I really only mean to any friends you have who happen to be modders - not everyone in general.

Actually I said anyone is free to choose which ever one they are most comfortable with.
    Edit:
    To Clarify I have been modding since 2013 using both the forum and repository to host mods. So I do have some experience in knowing the advantage and disadvantages of each. It is not as if I am blindly saying it either.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    • Drogean

Drogean Scruffy Nerf-Herder

+1 to forum being a mess, way too many people posting mod releases in the MAIN sub after molloygos spent all that time making subforums and moving everything over manually one by one... only to have everyone go back to the main sub and spam releases and WIPs

Lack of sticky threads doesn't help AT ALL, have already seen multiple requests for one and the modding discussion threads are a PERFECT candidate

Kamirose, Lechet and Zhuria like this.
      • Ludacryst

Ludacryst Void-Bound Voyager

Couldn't they briefly lock out the main area for people to discover that there's an entire subsection? (A few days max?) I do agree with everyone saying there should at least be a sticky, but I feel like people would over-look it if they're just gonna over-look the current situation..

• The | Suit

People rarely read official stickies - we know from experience.
          We have a lot of support issues which are resolved in stickies - no one reads them even though the solution is available.

• Lechet

Lechet Big Damn Hero

Tbh even though people rarely read 'em they're still nice to have for the people that do read stuff. I know I do.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
            • Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

If you put it in the title they won't even need to click it. It's harder to miss something bold and stuck at the top!

• The | Suit

Isn't the Mod release Sub forum bold and stuck on the top ? :p

• Lechet

Lechet Big Damn Hero

Well y'needa do something, mate. What do you think would fix it?

Drogean likes this.
                  • Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

Haha, yes, but I feel like people (I know I do) just scroll straight to the topics. I didn't even see that up there even when I knew we had the subforums :p

• The | Suit

Honestly? Time.
                      Within a week people will more then likely start figuring it out on their own - especially when more users start uploading to the repository.
                      No need to always rush things.

• miryuo

miryuo Zero Gravity Genie

would a sticky really be that big of an effort tho? don't understand the problem here.. anyway
                        there's always new people here, who are gonna 'need a week to get it'..
                        and no, the subforums aren't obvious in this forum layout if you don't know about them..
                        I really don't want to have to keep messaging modders forever, letting them know about the subforums and the advantages they bring. most of the people i wrote last 2 days (around ten) were not aware of them.
                        you went through all the trouble to make subforums so why hide them. noone is critiquing the 'superior forum layout' or your effort, but a sticky thread would make a very simple immediate improvement.
                        all it has to say is something like "hey look.. we have cool new subforums.. see that mods/wip box above, there's also a tab for subforums, incase you missed it.. we recommend posting your finished mods and respries under the related category to make it easier to find and less likely to dissappear after a few days, thanks."

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
                          Zhuria and Lechet like this.
                        • Kamirose

Kamirose Big Damn Hero

I think putting the subcategories straight from here rather than Mods > subcategories would make them MUCH more visible and more likely to be posted in. People don't notice one subforum, but they'll notice like 8.

steffjes, Lechet and Zhuria like this.
                          • steffjes

steffjes Big Damn Hero

This.

Zhuria likes this.
                            • Zhuria

Zhuria Cosmic Narwhal

That's a great idea, too!

• Lechet

Lechet Big Damn Hero

This'd be the best way to handle it imo.