Combat customization, pets and stealth

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Striker Hayabusa, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Striker Hayabusa

Striker Hayabusa Master Chief

Playing Starbound, I've realized that there is much more that can be added to the game. Let's begin with the most basic item on the list. With the use of tech and dynamic lighting, Starbound has the potential for a strong stealth pillar. An octo-camo or cloak tech can be a major part of the stealth system, along with light and shadows being used to hide you from enemies whose night vision isn't developed.

This brings us to the next item, more customization of our combat equipment. Helmets, chestguards, boots, guns and even melee weapons could have a menu accessed by right clicking them, where upgrades can be placed, such as night vision, energy shields and impact absorbers for armor, while guns would allow multiple attachments such as sights, which would affect the cross-hair on screen, flashlights, laser pointers and different underbarrel attachments. Melee weapons could have energy cells which add a certain type of elemental damage to them, such as fire and lightning. One final thing I would like to see in the game, detection by sound and alternate arrow types for bows. Now, I realize that different bows shoot different arrows, but I am referring to a single specialized type of bow, we'll call them combat bows, to have several types of arrows. They won't be used in harvesting meat, but they'll boast piercing, exploding, fire, toxic, plasma and any other type of arrow the devs can think up, all accessed by cycling through each one with the alt fire.

Our final item, pets! Ever look at your bunny and say to yourself, "Yeah, I can totally see them being an insane, bloodthirsty killer,". Maybe not, but with a genetic foundry, you could make your own deadly killers to accompany you. At the genetic foundry, combining different organic materials to produce a specific embryo, which can then be taken to an incubator to begin incubating your adorable (or not so adorable) killing machine to follow you on your journeys. Activating them will bring up a prompt to send them home, tell them to come, or do specific things, like dig for supplies. If they die in battle, they'll be transported back to your ship to be called upon again. Gear could also be a part of having these pets. Not a weaponized fluffball type of guy/gal? Why not try robots? All you need is a crafting table.