Chemistry, anyone?

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by DeVoid, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Kilo

Kilo Pangalactic Porcupine

Lol I was thinking more like the stereotypical Science show stuff you see, where someone will dump two vials into a beaker and whatnot. xD

2. starman

starman Subatomic Cosmonaut

honestly I think this would be fun, but unlikey to be put in the game as it is too complex.

I can't wait to see the mod though(which would hopefully be createdX3).

3. Luihu

Luihu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would much more prefer that recipes were already known in some way, and the ingredients themselves were just hard to come by. The experimentation process would just be substituted with a wiki in a matter of days since not many want to be wasteful with ingredients.

4. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would love to have some sort of chemistry in it. The more you can do the better . Mad Scientist creates a Flower spreading Nuke:giggle:

5. Vapor Horologium Corpus

Vapor Horologium Corpus Weight of the Sky

i wouuld like some type of biology or chemistry of some sort it seems to add more of like usefuleness to plants

6. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

Yes, like making LSD. Though, i am more found of life, i inject it straight into my eye to affect vision.
    Feels good man, feels good. Although painful.
    PS: That picture made my day.
    PPS: Chemistry feels very much like a rehashed version of alchemy, though it would be fun to mess around with.
    On a side note of a side note, i hope it's more involving then the meaningless drool that was Terraria's version of alchemy. I shiver to think that this games downfall could be something as trivial as crafting.

7. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

I think it would be great if there was chemistry in the game. A lot of people would probably love to have another little job to do that requires picking plants for chemicals, then extract and mix it up at something like a special crafting table. Then you get syringes(potions) that give special effects and such.

8. MoshiMoshi

MoshiMoshi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Come to think of it, I would quite enjoy having chemistry in Starbound, whether it be traditional chemistry, or sci-fi.
    However, I don't want to see a repeat of Skyrim's, Terraria's or Minecraft's "alchemy" systems.

Rex likes this.
  9. Luihu

Luihu Subatomic Cosmonaut

Second that. No damn tedium. Minecraft's "alchemy" was probably the worst because of its sheer requirements to make plain water. Simple mechanics don't require people to run into hell and back (literally) to boil a bottle of water.

10. Rex

Rex Phantasmal Quasar

The devs could add several upgrades to the (modern) chemistry system, as in parts.

Maybe some home made virusses? Wait wait wait, that more Biology, but it's still awesome to have an army of mutated or zombiefied monsters following you.

EDIT: as in drugs, if there will be the so called "space junkies" they maybe want to trade rare stuff that they dont know the value of for the o-so precious drug they are addicted too.

The ingredients souldnt be easy to get, but the utensils must be. Also time needed for brewing is a must.

11. A Random Reader

A Random Reader Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm more thinking you have different chemicals you harvest from plants (rocks, etc), and mix them in concentrations you determine, with some preset crafting recipes for rapid healing, stuff like that, but you could alter it by adding more of one substance and less of another to see if it improves it, changes the effectiveness, changes the effect or explodes.

EDIT: possibly changing the method you prepare them, to change the effect.

12. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

inb4 mutations and zombies?
    Biohazards?

13. Zaba35

Zaba35 Phantasmal Quasar

yaaa totally for that but perhaps a fun minigame involved?

14. Cacame

Cacame Phantasmal Quasar

I would love to see a chemistry system based off experimentation.

EDIT: Also it would be nice if you could use these in different ways.
    e.g:
    Syringe to inject chems
    Grenade that splashes(liquid) or disperses(gas) chemicals
    Grenade that mixes chemicals on detonation
    Coating weapons with chemicals
    A weapon that sprays chemicals out (Think this thread)

15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i would love to see a cooking system,
    space food doent taste so good

16. Jasko

Jasko Void-Bound Voyager

Acid would be so much cooler than lava in my opinion. Like throw it onto a metal house and watch it burn through :O

17. Rex

Rex Phantasmal Quasar

Ha!, I know what you would like.. Did you ever play the Powder Game?

http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/

18. Jasko

Jasko Void-Bound Voyager

nope, have you ever played Universe Sandbox? it is such a cool game to mess around with

19. Rex

Rex Phantasmal Quasar

I will try it now :D

20. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

This is a good idea, maybe it could fall into a mini game category. Sorta like Free Realms and how they handled harvesting and such. Having to pour the liquids just so, keep the burner not to hot and so on.