1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Character starts out with everything in the outpost

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Eexpii, Sep 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eexpii

Eexpii Guest

( I posted on reddit here )

So I made a my first character on 1.0, completed the game and decided to make a second character again, a novakid. I played her again when the game got upgraded to 1.1. I used admin once to capture a poptop mom in the mine and got the core fragments, but when I got to the outposts all the shops were unlocked and all the characters at the arc. This isn't new game plus right? I wanted to start a new character and have challenge. I made another novakid with no admin command and I have the same exact issue. I have Windows 10 home, version 1607, OS Build 14393.105. I use no mods and never have used a mod. I use only windowed mode.

Attached Files:

• uhh.png
      uhh.png
      File size:
      578.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

This is not a bug it's intended. The outpost state is saved per universe and not per character.

~ Iris ~

3. Eexpii

Eexpii Guest

is there any way to make it per character?

4. Iris Blanche

Nope. Like i said, it's intended that it is per universe so there is no possibility to store the outpost progress per character.
    However you can use the /resetuniverseflags command in admin mode but this will affect all characters and can break mods that use the universeflags too.

~ Iris ~

5. Mogeley

Mogeley Void-Bound Voyager

You really should not suggest t use a destructive command like /resetuniverseflags without clearly explaining what the command actually does and how to return the game state back to original state for a characters who have completed some missions.

A far better approach is to backup the universe.dat for each character and then overwrite universe.dat from the character specific backup. Unfortunately, this is a bit of a pain as one has to remember to overwrite the universe.dat and then after playing backup to the character specific universe.dat backup. This would be really easy for the game dev's to include as part of the game.

From an end users perspective a shared ARK / outpost is a bug. Because it works in an unexpected way and no amount of "this is the dev's design" will fix that. I'm a developer by profession and it's just the way things are when a feature does not work the way the end user is expecting. Either the product must lead the end user down that path or the product must adapt or it will always cause confusion. There is nothing in the game stating that the Ark/Outpost is shared among characters and the shared Ark concept only makes sense when one person is playing the game.

When one has kids, they want to play their own storyline. Having the quests half done when the brand new to the game is just flat out confusing.

I plan to offset this bug (yes, to me this will always be a bug) by writing some scripts to copy the universe.dat to universe-player.dat and back. Or possibly look into writing a mod to maintain that state for me.

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I find it funny how you didn't even bother to say how to "undo" this either.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/...layer_to_singleplayer_outpost_bug_on/d5imcc6/

What you define as a bug is largely irrelevant, because the actual definition defines it as a fault in the programming, which this is not. The game has always had a shared universe. Confusing, maybe, but not a bug.

A batch script could achieve what you are after, however.

7. Iris Blanche

Please take a look at the date when replying to a post. Since this never is and was a bug i am going ahead and closing this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.