1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Character erased as art of magic

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by archerel, Dec 9, 2013.

?

Can you make it come back?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2014.
  1. Yes we can

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. No, we're sorry...

52 vote(s)
    88.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiocracy

Idiocracy Poptop Tamer

I agree that no one deserves a refund, I agree that like in any situation, there are people on both sides who are going mental over this, you cant judge a crowd just by the ones that stand out since they stand out due to their deviance from the norm

2. debugman18

debugman18 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You're kidding. Please tell me you're kidding. See the top right? See where it says clear as day, "How the beta is going to work"? That leads to the page that describes each section of the beta. It also mentions character wipes. If somebody isn't willing to look past the very first page of the website of the game, they aren't trying very hard, are they?

InfiniteRemnant likes this.
  3. Idiocracy

Idiocracy Poptop Tamer

lol as ive said before.... I got the game from steam, meaning it was not clear, i didnt visit the games website till the update
    So yes im serious, it wasnt painfully clear, and yes i understand that once you visit the website, its clear.
    But I do mostly everything through steam unless its an amazing game that I played a bit and decided I actually want to get involved in, lol which would include this game,

CinnamonStick likes this.
  4. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

I honestly don't know many people who just buy games without looking into them first. Checking the main site, watching a video or two, or something.
    Maybe that's just my circle, though.

debugman18 likes this.
  5. Idiocracy

Idiocracy Poptop Tamer

I usually find all the information I need on a game through steam, including videos, pictures, description, and even community things, I did all that good stuff on steam, but I only go outside of that If ,even after all that info on steam, I still cant decided whether or not I want the game. With this game I could immediately tell I would enjoy it so I read all the basic stuff and went for it. If steam had given me a better heads up on the matter, I would probably still have bought it but I wouldn't have gottan so invested in it right away. Thats the main issue for me

6. debugman18

debugman18 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I check out every game I buy first. Not once have I looked at my Steam library and went "Man, I wish I hadn't bought that." It pays to investigate your purchases.

I'm with you; if somebody went and bought a car, and it was a standard, and the driver couldn't drive standard, and they didn't ask if it was automatic, and bought it anyways, is it the dealership's fault?

Black--snow likes this.
  7. Denark75

Denark75 Space Hobo

my character is gone aswell.

but you could have read in the game description that it was a beta...
    i feel bummed down aswell, since yesterday i made my robot arm crafting table and was busy getting my new armor and stuff.

but i love the exploring and stuff :)

8. Idiocracy

Idiocracy Poptop Tamer

well up untill now I was able to do all my investigating through steam, in fact i still feel that I can do that since the game is definitely worth the money, its just the whole character wipe thing that slipped by
    Also a $15 game and a car are very different in terms of research allotted lol
    Its just, for me, saying its a beta is very different from saying there will be character wipes, I just would have preferred that steam had some information to that effect on its page

9. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

I understand for like, normal games, maybe. But for an open beta that hasn't even been out a month that seems like a poor choice no matter what the game.

As for folks who didn't know it was a beta...I can't find the game searching in the main store. As far as I know you have to specifically be in the early access portion of Steam to get to it, so... D:

10. Idiocracy

Idiocracy Poptop Tamer

It shows up on the featured page, but there is no way to not see that it is beta, that much is very clear, I just didnt realize how early on in the game design it was, since a game can be out for quite a while before steam will put it up as early access.

11. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

Reasons why it woulda been smart to check the official site before dropping fifteen bucks on a preorder, yeah?
    Lesson learned for next time, right?

Like it's been said before though, you'll get the finalized product when its out even if you don't want to participate in beta and deal with wipes, bugs, etc. The game hasn't even been public a month. Have some faith and give these guys some time to work out the major kinks before truly passing judgement. That goes to everyone causing a ruckus over this, not you in particular.

12. hunvagy

hunvagy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well in this case Steam users got the game at the same time as people who preordered months ago. And the reason why all the snappy remarks come is because way before it got a Steam store page, the game had at least 100k pre-orders, all from here and the humble store, and all those people KNEW very well what the first stage is going to entail. Also they get snappy because nobody learns to use the search function, and litters the forums with new thread after new thread with "I lost my character, am I the only one?" Even if the Steam page does not feature this fact, it's not an excuse for being unable to use the bloody search function to see if anyone else posted this "bug".

Reno likes this.
  13. Whiplashr

Whiplashr Space Penguin Leader

You did not pay for the beta.

You paid for the full version of the game, which is not yet available.

As a privilege of pre-purchasing the final product, you have been granted access to the beta test.

PRIVILEGE.

You are owed nothing but the final product. Your ability to play the beta is a privilege of pre-purchasing. They don't owe you anything. They have every right to control development in any way they see fit.

People need to stop throwing in that they paid money. You pre-purchased the FINAL GAME, which is NOT AVAILABLE YET.

You did not purchase the beta. You have absolutely no rights in the beta. You have no reason to have any sense of entitlement at all.

14. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

@Whiplashr is absolutely right; the devs want your help in collecting bugs, so they allow you to access the buggy and unfinished version once you've shown you're prepared to support the development (In this case by paying for the final version). Said version will need tweaking in major game mechanics, most requiring a character reset due to the many problems with Starbound currently.

For example, Items in the game retain their values until they're re-crafted; so if you had a 100 damage 1 AP sword before the update when the files where changed to say 200 damage the sword would still be 100 damage and 1 AP, possibly causing conflicts, crashes and other annoying problems.

InfiniteRemnant, Reno and Whiplashr like this.
  15. Euphoria64

Euphoria64 Space Hobo

I just stumbled upon this thread and can't believe the ridiculous complaining going on. I literally bought this game the day it came out, and knew jack about it before that day. I am a huge Terraria fan so this game looked like crack to me. I was perfectly aware that character wipes were going to happen (it says it in the patch notes!). It didn't take hours of research or looking around to find out either. Every beta I've ever played has always done character wipes. These are special circumstances since we've purchased it, but you don't buy this and just go about playing perfectly fine forever from that point. Characters were told they would be wiped, so do not get attached to them. To be honest, I don't see how anyone could put 40 hours into the game. It needs major rebalancing (some of which was addressed), and I found myself hitting a wall and couldn't continue. I'm glad the wipes were done.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  16. Black--snow

I actually enjoy the character wipes, gets quite boring once you get to Tier 3 (Wiring tool and such).

Euphoria64 and Cayote like this.
  17. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

Totally agree, yet for the sake of people complaining, I'm going to agree with the fact that they should have added it to the steam description. people who have been lurking on the forums for a while like me will have read the part about character wipes. but people who look at steam and see 'yay a nice game I should buy it' probably haven't. shouldn't be hard to add a new line in the Early Acces warning including the part where characters will be wiped.

Idiocracy and Black--snow like this.
  18. Black--snow

I haven't seen the Steam description, but really I think the How The Beta Is Going To Work post should be there too.

Idiocracy likes this.
  19. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

This is all the early acces warning has to say, it doesn't say anything about data wipes. I can see how this can cause confusion in some people.

Black--snow and Idiocracy like this.
  20. Euphoria64

Euphoria64 Space Hobo

I disagree. I made a point to say that I heard about the game the day it came out, and bought it a few days after that. I had no knowledge of the wipes until it said something about it in the patch notes. I do not feel sorry for any of the whiners.

Psychicgammarays likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.