1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Character erased as art of magic

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by archerel, Dec 9, 2013.

?

Can you make it come back?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2014.
  1. Yes we can

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. No, we're sorry...

52 vote(s)
    88.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

but you knew it was early access, and therefor beta.
    Betas tend to have save corruption fairly often, especially early on.

when you buy an early access game, you're basically saying "yes i know it's still under heavy development but I'd like to participate in the beta"

not "this better be perfectly polished, even though it isn't finished yet"
    there are non early access games for that

Pinocchio likes this.
  2. Pinocchio

Pinocchio Subatomic Cosmonaut

so you played an early access which is just about TESTING and talking/reading to report bugs or learn about bugs.... u played for a long time and didnt see the 100 posts about the savegame wipe?

here are the official pros/cons of the beta stage1

what do we see there? that you are actually not supposed, or i would even say ALLOWED to play the game at this stage because you CANT STAND LOSING YOUR SAVE... cu after beta

greetings pino

Barbossa likes this.
  3. sh3p4rd

sh3p4rd Star Wrangler

What could they do for you ? Giving money back ? Dude, just learn to read what devs says

4. Pinocchio

:geek:

i hope you can at least make them to write the beta-explaination on the shop page..... this is about testing and giving feedback and all i see in the forums is "nono, save wipe, didnt read that"

i hope the non-testers who thought they could play the whole game from now on will soon be gone.....

5. Khamai

Khamai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

6. Waffolani

Waffolani Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is it possible for Tiy to add something to the Steam page (aka, the "How Beta Will Work" link) so that we have less and less of these fairly ignorant and useless complaints?

It's seriously getting pretty old, and the beta hasn't even been out for a week.

7. username652719

username652719 Space Hobo

Not even, just wanted to keep my character. I've had the game crash multiple times, hell, just trying to enter the multiplayer causes a crash

You don't take a customer's money and delete their character, then tell them that their complaint is "old and useless".

What you do, is you do not put it on Steam and take people's money for it.

I'm part of the mass consumer; this product is now beyond the reach of some small niche group, and you act appropriately.

8. Waffolani

No offense, but there's a reason this product is in the Early Access section of Steam. It's NOT FINISHED. You bought access to a rudimentary TEST BETA, not a finalized product. Here's the FAQ for you to look at and educate yourself with.

Perhaps you should take time to understand what participating in an Early Access project is before you start throwing the "I'm the mass consumer" paunch around.

Also, can we lock this thread? It's not going to do anything else constructive.

NeoDeltaI likes this.
  9. Pinocchio

mass consumer <-> early access ...... eRrOR

10. username652719

username652719 Space Hobo

Well that's a shitty way to run anything if you're a billion-dollar company. If I buy a broken product and cannot get my money back, that's a problem.

I suppose the most I can do is make my opinion/story heard now. It's a shame the entire lot seems to be rooting against my use case as it's "normal", "old" and boring. Just think, if my situation were handled professionally, I'd be understanding and have good things to say.

Learn a bit about business ethics. It's so easy to reap praise if you can satisfy an asshole. (me)
    Stop fighting my complaint.

"Developers have varying approaches, so it's a good idea to look at a store page before you jump into any game. You'll notice that announcements from developers show up on their store pages now, so you can get a snapshot of recent update or news directly from the source."

Yep. Store page says nothing about this mess.

And really, read what you just linked me, says nothing about the ill consequences other than "if you don't like the look of the game in its current state don't buy it." It's the most ambiguous "faq" I've ever seen.

11. Khamai

Khamai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

said username652719.

Man, it's just a file. It's the stage 1, wait for the stage 2 if you can't live without your Char.

Nobody said that wipe will never come. It's not a finish product.

Did you do the Wow beta (the very first)? I have lost my char multiple time, it's was the game's rules. And my char was deleted before the official launch. So sad.

You can try with steam customer service, but they will do nothing for you. :)

12. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

Except it isn't, they introduced the program to help match people who are willing to beta test, to small developers who MAY NOT GET THAT MASS AUDIENCE if not.
    It also allows them to use steam's wonderfully easy update system instead of having to make their own, which saves them a LOT of developement time

the early access program is absolutely WONDERFUL for indie devs, who they are MEANT for.
    if you don't want to read what the entire point of the program is, then purchase things in said program, you're doing something wrong.

just because you don't understand what a system is for, doesn't make it bad.

13. Pinocchio

he takes from the rich (people, who can read)
    and gives it to the poor (people, who accidently bought an early access game)

/edit: by the way, next wipe coming soon, damage system still broken...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  14. ApprenticeOfGames

ApprenticeOfGames Tentacle Wrangler

DUDE TEAM EARLY ACCESS!Also this you "shouldn't get too attached to your character or universe as we may make changes that require you to start from scratch"
    DO NOT take part in this stage if:You can’t stand losing your save!!!

15. Waffolani

Direct Quote from the Steam Early Access FAQ Page:

"When you buy an Early Access game, you should consider what the game is like to play right now. Look at the screenshots and videos to see what the game looks like in its current state. There are a lot of ways a game can go as it develops over time, so if you aren't excited to play the game in its current state, then hold off and wait until the next update--it shouldn't be far off."

Also, on the Starbound Page:

"Starbound is already extremely playable and contains a vast amount of content, however we decided to release the game as a beta through early access to ensure the community gets a chance to help us shape the game. In this first stage of the beta process you may experience some bugs but updates will come thick and fast as we listen to your feedback and add new content.

Sure, it doesn't say anything about a possible character wipe (which they are actively working to code in a newer save system that will not require character wipes on subsequent major updates) but one would think that checking out a title's official FAQ from the link to their official web page would be semi-high on your list of things to do when considering purchasing an Early Access game.

Please don't get upset with Steam or with Chucklefish because you chose to be an ignorant consumer.

NeoDeltaI likes this.
  16. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

exactly right, the first thing you should do with an early access game, is to read everything the developers have to say about the beta/early access. that's the BEST source of information as to what to expect.
    which early access games EXPECT you to find.

17. Tax Collector

Tax Collector Tentacle Wrangler

It's clearly documented that you should expect the opposite during this stage of development, all you had do was spend less than five minutes time doing some reading to determine that.

I also highly suggest that you take the time to read the Early Access FAQ from Steam that was linked previously in this very thread, before you ever purchase another title from Steam that is offering Early Access again.

You do when a customer willingly pays for Early Access to a product that is in the infant stages of development.

Your character is not going to return and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it, which does in fact make your complaint completely useless.

The entire point of the Early Access program is for developers to be able to market there product on Steam. Trying to blame Chucklefish for your personal inability (or unwillingness?) to read FAQs and/or the appropriate documentation prior to making a purchase is absolutely absurd.

18. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

Everyone here who is playing has paid 15 or more.

Should have done more research.
    Also the game is put under "Early Acces" meaning that you can not expect a game without any errors, should have checked on what it meant before you bought it.

19. EvilDoc

EvilDoc Poptop Tamer

It's a beta, deal with it. This kind of stuff happens, it's not the fault of Chucklefish. Wipes are bound to happen and it's not like the information is difficult to access.

20. Reno

Reno Phantasmal Quasar

If you're so attached to your beta characters then don't make any. You can wait a year or whatever for the final game and just treat your Early Access purchase as a pre-order or something. Sheesh.

Seconding the idea that Tiy should really link that Beta FAQ blog post on the Steam page, though. This is definitely not the first time someone's started a ruckus over this, and I have a feeling it won't be the last.

Early Access beta is such a fun, useful way to help bring a game along. I hate that there are so many folks out there who can't seem to wrap their heads around how it works. :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.