1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Character customization! :D

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Breather, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kraiten

Kraiten Guest

If you're using a template then why have the system at all? Also, if you're allowed to go outside of this template, what happens when you equip a piece of armor? Is it just going to sit awkwardly on your character because your character happens to be bigger than the basic sprite? I'm just cranking out the reasons why this would be a terrible idea, and all you can defend it with is "player freedom".

2. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

You'll be able to edit the pixels that make up the pixels, that are in the pixels that make up the pixels that make the charecter.
    Pixelception.

Eddy Steel and Kyrios311 like this.
  3. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

=.=
    Pffft. If that happens, wouldn't the pixels you've edited become pixels and.... I'm sorry, I think my brain explsagsaghoagoj...
    There! That's better. I just hope I didn't brain my damage!...

Kyrios311 likes this.
  4. MegaMan

MegaMan Phantasmal Quasar

You don't go off the template, you make the characters base, and equip armor to that. All you're defending your argument with is speculation. This whole argument is silly.

5. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

Um... If memory serves me correct (it doesn't normally), YOU started the argument with:
    :unsure:

6. Kraiten

Kraiten Guest

Oh boy! So not only do you have make an entire sprite sheet full of different animations, but you also have to re-sprite all the armor! Not only is this incredibly clunky and time consuming, but it is also abusable! Suddenly that super special endgame cosmetic set isn't so special, and re-playability and character progression are hurt as a result. The difference between your side of the argument and mine is that I'm actually making inferences from what we know about Starbound, as well as applying basic knowledge when it comes to game design.

7. MegaMan

That really isn't relevant is it?

Regardless everything is speculation until it is confirmed.

8. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

Good point. :unsure:

9. RuskinReynolds

RuskinReynolds Big Damn Hero

what about similar to the Spore customiser?

10. MegaMan

Unless you mean the one on the DS, I can't see that working at all.

11. RuskinReynolds

how come? you just take out the rotation and start with a base humanoid rather than a blob with a spine

12. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

Nah, then we would have to unlock all the new parts, and without cool parts, everyone would look stupid.

13. RuskinReynolds

so you'd want to start off with all of the cool parts and not have to build/unlock them? what do you mean by 'cool parts' anyways? i was talking about body build, colour, hair, tattoos (if they'd work) body paint, a simple selection of clothes (plain enough to not look the same when they are different colours) and then you unlock/build better and better vanity items/armor. Or have i just completely lost the plot here?

14. H-Alo

H-Alo Phantasmal Quasar

Um... Ok. If you're not talking about parts... Hmmm, well that would work just fine then. I meant by 'cool parts' the cooler arms and leg parts, but now I see you don't mean them. But that's kinda like Terraria then. Not to say I don't like it (It's a great idea).

15. Valkoor Moonblood

Valkoor Moonblood Existential Complex

I'm really hoping for something similar to the Terraria character customization, but with more options like clothes, faces, tattoos, height/width, etc.

16. Vapor Horologium Corpus

Vapor Horologium Corpus Weight of the Sky

the minecraft way is good but i think it wouldn't really work out i mean i think it would work if they like did it in a way to where it wouldn't look wierd like have a character creator or something part of the game

17. Tiger

Tiger Phantasmal Quasar

1. Precreated characters you start out with, then choose which is closer to the one you want. (including different races) 2. Skin color 3. Head antenaes or something you want on your head...or hair or something, whatever 4. Glasses, goggles, types of eyes... 5. Back "accessories" or wings and such. 6. Arms & other limb accessories...yeah. 7. Confirm and take back to character customization screen if no.

18. StarKiller

StarKiller Phantasmal Quasar

I don't think the whole race thing would work out too well. They have already mentioned height sliders are a definite no-no, but yeah, choosing different races would be a little too much for me. Having some basic options to customize my character would be fine. Maybe different eye options, or something along those lines, but a basic hue/saturation bar would be completely fine. I'd want to have to build up my character to look cool, not just have a completely decked out character from the gate.

19. Nathan

Nathan Big Damn Hero

Agreed. Once you hit the different race thing it gets out of control because then you will have people saying why pick a different race when there is nothing special about them. Or picking a different race because you want a unique ability. I think just aesthetically looking different with maybe the eyes or a tattoo or something like that. Nothing too fancy. And then if you want to look different you have to find or craft the vanity item :D

20. Chaosmancer

Chaosmancer Big Damn Hero

Well, it could be that you have to unlock your race's unique ability, or that there is not unique ability, just some sort of modifier to the stats, along the line of the words that come before weapon names in Terraria (or at least the ones that have negatives to even out the positives). I do think that a little stat modifier for each race may be quite good, but having it as a vanity based thing would also work quite well...unless any races have wings, in which case there would have to be a point in the game when you get to use them. another thought is that it could be a little like how The Elder Scrolls does it. No race has a truly overpowered unique ability (at least not that I know of (I think that the closest may be the Argonians being able to breath under water, even though water is rarely touched in-game (unless you like to go for a nice swim most of the time)). Really, if race were for anything more than vanity, it would come down to equivalent exchange, 'this creature is able to double jump, although it will take damage when it falls more than X blocks (where X is just under half of the maximum height it can attain from double jump', or 'this creature can breath underwater, it takes double damage from other environmental hazards, as well as any fire related attack. Or it could be something along the lines of 'Technician - +X to <enter all technology related things here?' or 'Engineer - +X to all <enter all vehicle related things here>'. Or even something along the lines of The Sims, where you are able to pick three traits (although, it could be that for each one you choose, you have to choose something negative too). Saying that, I do think that having races as a vanity thing would work quite well (although, a good explanation of each race would be rather good for people who want to choose a certain race for RP reasons (such as choosing a race that is mostly honest and playing as a stealthy assassin/thief).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.