Modding Help changing how long furnace takes

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Djzonk, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Djzonk

Djzonk Void-Bound Voyager

i made an crating station based off of the stone furnace's interface and code but i would like to increase the time it takes to craft the item/smelt it.

2. Phlosioneer

Phlosioneer Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't believe there is any moddable way to change smelting time. If you think about it, everything in the game smelts at the same speed; the devs probably haven't even implemented varying speed at all, let alone exposed it to modding.

3. Djzonk

well it has to be somewere some one will find it

4. Platoonsgt1

Platoonsgt1 Big Damn Hero

It seems that the same value is hardcoded between the refinery, furnaces and fireplaces, or they just use the same value and we just haven't found it yet.

5. Djzonk

if the devs did hide that/lock that code from use i could not see why or they just have not needed it for any of the block that they make

6. Platoonsgt1

It seems that they originally planned for a single object, probably the furnace, gave it a cooking time, then used the same hard-coded system to make the fireplace and the refinery. They never though that someone would want to make a new faster or slower version.
    In the meantime, you could create a new one, which uses recipes that require double the ingredients and produce double the output.

7. Djzonk

well my object is called a Dustifier which takes ore and turns it into two dust kind of like the macerate from the mincraft mod industrial craft and I know i could just leavew it and let it take not time at all to make dust but i still thinks its a bit un-balanced

8. Djzonk

but my other idea was to use the same system of fuel as the ship and make it require coal to run but the only problem is i don't exactly know how the code for ships fuel work in the case if i make a fuel inter face on this object will it just fuel my ship up and i know this will take some scripting but my other idea was to make the furnace have a third slot for coal witch would still be a item grid but make the recipes require the ore and coal so u would have to put on in each slot. and i don't have access to the game code right now because i am on a computer that cannot run steam.

9. Platoonsgt1

Quite a few people have been interested in adding fuels for furnaces, but I don't think anyone has succeeded, yet...

10. Djzonk

i am thinking maby i should just quickly tweet the dev that makes all the in game objects and ask if there is a way to increase the time or if there ever will be

11. Djzonk

well my main problem with adding fuels is if i do add the small amount of code i know about the fuel ui is if i make the ui just fuel my ship in orbit or somthing else because i know we can add fuel to other people ships without it fueling yours.

12. Platoonsgt1

Do you know what frameCooldown and autoCloseCooldown do? frameCooldown sems to be about the same time as the furnace takes, in seconds, but changing it doesn't change the smelting time. autoCloseCooldown sounds unrelated in the first place.

Edit: You should try not to double-post, and edit your earlier posts instead. It just makes everything look a little nicer, and keep the moderators happy :D

13. Djzonk

ok thanks for the tip and no i dont know what they do