1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Cant Scan Items Into the 3D Printer

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by CiberX15, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madzookeeper

Madzookeeper Void-Bound Voyager

nothing is working for me now either, while it was before. i used it to scan my wheat seeds at the start of the game after getting the matter manipulator with my second character. however, as of IK it is not working at all. the item scanned disappears, but doesn't show up as available to make no matter how tiny the pixel cost to make them or if i have can afford checked or not. the item IS destroyed however. ended up using the duping glitch to get stuff back, but it's slightly annoying.

2. Axel_nflames

Axel_nflames Void-Bound Voyager

I'm gonna assume they don't have it fully set up, but that s just my opinion.

3. Brinxter

Brinxter Intergalactic Tourist

The one thing i think you need to be able to scan and copy is consumables, stuff like the Medkits, Grenades, Javelins, Stimpacks.
    Make them expensive, but atleast an option, because now you just tend to save those things and hoard them, and never, ever use them since you only find like 1-3 after a day of searching planets.

4. CiberX15

CiberX15 Big Damn Hero

Yeah this is most likely the case. Too bad, I cant wait for it to work. The re-balancing definitely takes precedence, but maybe it will be working more predictably in the next patch : )

Absolutely Yes!

That was something I liked about Terraria (sorry again!). The potions were relatively cheap and had a long duration so I actually used them. In Skyrim most of the potions only last like 30 seconds tops and were difficult to make and expensive to buy. As such I never used potions in Skyrim except for healing potions.

Presumably players will be able to craft such consumable items eventually, however this could them the ability to print them at the cost of their pixels and give them early (if perhaps more expensive) access to these items, so long as they are able to find and scan them in the first place.

5. GravyonTurkey

GravyonTurkey Tentacle Wrangler

We need to be able to scan the devices that spawn Chefs and merchants.

6. Madzookeeper

Madzookeeper Void-Bound Voyager

i believe they said that the 3D printer was supposed to be useable for basically everything in the game, just costing pixels and destroying the original item. so it should be possible to do that with consumables when it's fully functional.

7. ancientterror

ancientterror Poptop Tamer

this whole scanning thing is kind of irritating, i want infinite diamonds!

8. Axel_nflames

Axel_nflames Void-Bound Voyager

9. CaptainDingo

CaptainDingo 2.7182818284590...

The current rules for scanning (at least what I can logically conclude) is that the item in question must be a man-made item (not a raw material) and it must be something you can't craft yourself.

It's definitely not random.

So tents, burn barrels, most lights, decorations, posters, etc. In other words any man-made object that you found in the world but can't craft... which makes sense, because without the printer there would be no way of getting more of these objects except to find them randomly.

10. ancientterror

ancientterror Poptop Tamer

consumables like bombs and spears need to printable, as there is also no way of acquiring them

11. tommygunyeah

tommygunyeah Aquatic Astronaut

Sorry to bump a seemingly old thread but be careful I tried to scan a spawner and it scanned but didn't give me the option to buy it.
    Most other things won't scan which I assumed means that they can't be used but this just flat out ate my Chef Spawner with no result.

12. Nightryderace

Nightryderace Subatomic Cosmonaut

You should be able to craft the spawner at a crafting table, like the 2 spawners you start with. Some items do this; I had a rainbow chest and scanned it, found it later in my crafting table.

13. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

I didn't know that, i thought it was a bug o:

14. LeBaiton

LeBaiton Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Unfortunatly this does not work at the moment. The printer will eat your spawner and you will not be able to find it on the printer, or your crafting stations. Just a warning...

Nightryderace likes this.
  15. Blaster Master

Blaster Master Star Wrangler

Pretty sure the scanning feature is broken for now or at least partially broken. I've come across a couple of things that worked properly but for the most part, it's not functioning properly.

16. Nightryderace

Nightryderace Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ah, okay. Good to know; thanks!

17. elipod

elipod Industrial Terraformer

Spawners, and some other objects have "printable" : false in their description, it hides them from 3D printer list, but, for some reason they still can be scanned.
    If you cahnge them to "printable" : true, you can print them.

18. Bonabopn

I think it's only meant to produce furniture.

19. TimJSwan

TimJSwan Tentacle Wrangler

They should add a field for every item saying not only whether it is printable, but notifying you if it is not yet in your scan database. Also, the scanner should reject anything that it already has a copy of, that way you don't have to keep guessing, wasting pixels and original items, and looking through a huge list to see if that item is there already.

Tamorr likes this.
  20. Bonabopn

Uh. It already does reject items you've already scanned... except maybe npc spawners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.